“Horse racing”
Review of Portland Meadows

Portland Meadows
Ranked #158 of 453 things to do in Portland
Reviewed 30 June 2015

Love visiting for some horse racing. I don't go outside of the live racing season. Would love to see longer season and different racing days/times but a good experience for the day.

Reviewed 11 November 2014

When a friend suggested we plan a day at Portland Meadows, my first thought was to laugh hysterically and pooh-pooh it immediately. It was, however, somewhere in Portland that I had never been, so I sucked in my disdain and reluctantly agreed to go. It wasn't so much horse racing that I objected to; it was the venue. I have attended races at Churchill Downs, Santa Anita and Arlington - all high-stakes, pristine tracks where dressing in your Sunday best was always bested by someone else. Portland Meadows connoted trailer trash to me, but it was also a track where a $2 bet wasn't frowned upon. What I expected and what I got were 180 degrees from one another.
Certainly there's nothing beautiful about Portland Meadows. I've been in stables that have more atmosphere. Aesthetics aside, you are able to get up close and almost personal with the horses. Everything is cheap. Parking is free. A program will set you back $3. A full-meal-deal from more than a couple of restaurants in the club house can be had for less than $10. Spectators run the gamut from very young to very old (it is family friendly), a variety of ethnicities, and a fashion parade that draws from early Goodwill to Nordstrum's. Some people come solo; others come in large groups. Here, a $2 bet draws as much excitement as a $2000 bet. Even the fun is cheap.
I am embarrassed that I so pre-judged this attraction. All 10 races take less than 4 hours. If you placed a $2 bet on every race and lost every one, you'd be out a grand total of $20. A movie and popcorn will set you back more than that and for less time spent. I had more fun than I've had in a long time and actually came home $3 richer than when I left. If you're looking for a fun way to spend four hours without spending a lot of money, Portland Meadows is certainly worth your time.

3  Thank Candee W
Reviewed 5 November 2014

Portland Meadows Race Track
Great lower tiered venue
Easy to view and get close to horse and Jockeys
Free parking Free entrance Lots of bars with good local brewing choices at very good prices
Bet if you want to. Sunday mornings free instruction on betting.
Close to PDX Airport just off I5
BUT they have a lousy Web site and race days are odd
Winter season is Oct to Feb but check schedule

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The new paint job and graphics are a well deserved bit of TLC for this place... and I feel like it will continue to improve in the next few years. There's plenty of potential.

Cheap beer, sunny tables (or warm-enough windowed in areas), cheap food, and horses. My husband bets, I just watch, and we always have fun.

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

On Labor Day 2013, our family gathered for a fun & affordable afternoon at the horse races. Many of us had never been to this venue near the Columbia River, in Portland, Oregon. Arriving early is recommended, if table seating is needed. There are people of all ages & walks of life: Free admission & parking, a wide array of food & beverage options, and a lot f racing events of variable lengths. It was fun to speculate potential win, place or show winners. Staff was very helpful assisting our group figure out how to read the program, there were presentations available about how to read the racing form, BBQ competition & activities for children & families at the infield & even free mystery vouchers made available for prior registration to partake in the betting (random amounts, special event) the day of the races! It is an experience not to be missed...great, animated people watching too! We'll be back :D

1  Thank krallgood