“Soup and sandwich elevated”
Review of The Picnic House

The Picnic House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Picnic House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #146 of 4,626 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Fast food
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Built in the historic lobby of the original Heathman Hotel. Great for Groups, Grab & Go, or Dine In. Rent a Picnic Basket filled with food and take it to the park.
Reviewed 9 February 2018

The grilled cheese and soup was anything but ordinary. Wild mushrooms, thyme and a hint of wine made the soup a warm start on a frosty evening. The grilled cheese had a sharp bite to the cheddar that stood up well to the sweet caramelized onions tucked inside the sandwich, cooked panini style. If you have room for dessert, the S'more cake is delightful, with toasted marshmallow, graham cracker crumbs, and chocolate cake with a drizzle of chocolate sauce. A fun adult spin on a childhood favorite.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

A large group of us came in for lunch last week. I had the brown rice salad with chicken - it was delicious! Others around the table did the combination soup, salad and sandwich options. Everyone was pleased with their meal and we were in and out in 1 hour.
Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 20 January 2018

First of all I have seen a larger selection at a high school football game... There was one burger option, 3 sandwiches, 3 salads and a bunch of strange sides... The burger was a good though; it was actually really good and so were the fries. The fried brussel sprouts and broccoli that someone else got were good as well. So the food was good, just not a lot of choices. The service was horrible. After getting our water, we waited nearly 10 minutes for her to come back just to give our drink order, then another 10 minutes to order our food... After our meal, LONG after the plates were cleared she finally brought our checks, then didn't come back to get the credit cards for nearly 10 minutes... Really unacceptable service. I wouldn't go back there if it was free

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

I’m not going to lie, I had the tomato basil soup and grilled cheese sandwich yesterday and I’ve been thinking about it ever since! Haha!
How could something so simple be sooooo good?! It was my first time eating here, even though my parents and sister have been several
times and always rave about it.
The decor is so dang cute-kind of whimsical and clever. Lots of different textures and they bring your bill in an old school The Hardy Boys book. How funky is that?!
Our server was great. Funny and patient-as part of our party was from out of town and had a hard time getting there on time.
I’ve already mentioned/drooled over the tomato soup and grilled cheese. 2 other ppl in my party ordered it as well and were equally as happy with the crispy outside and gooey inside sandwich perfection. Other items ordered were the brown rice salad for my vegan eating husband (I keep thinking he’s going to give it up but if there was any city you should be vegan in it’s Portland ) and the Buffalo Chicken sandwich-which was also really good. I’m definitely coming back and think I’ll go for dinner next time as the burger and the s’mores dessert is calling my name...

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

They advertise the martinis as the coldest in town. Sure enough, it looks like they use dry ice to chill the glasses. Nice space just up from the movie theater and down from the Schnitz. 2 martinis =$22.00