“Great service; Small rooms and a leftover sock in my bed!”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #9 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Great service; Small rooms and a leftover sock in my bed!”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I was looking forward to staying someplace totally central in downtown Portland to the waterfront and Pioneer Square, as we planned on celebrating our anniversary and enjoying dinner at McCormick and Schmick's Harborside. After a delicious meal, we were looking forward to heading up to our (very small) room and curling up in bed.

Lo and behold, as I crawled into bed my foot brushed up onto something unrecognizable... a used sock! (That was definitely not mine or my husband's). I was totally grossed out and wondered whether or not the sheets were even changed at all since the last guest, because it seems to me that someone would know when they were laying the sheets down if there was a random sock sitting there.

That "discovery" soured my experience because everything at that point was just "meh." Parking is outrageously expensive which left a pit in my stomach, and nothing about this hotel stood out as being remarkable compared to other similarly-rated hotels in the area.

I have nothing against the Paramount Hotel-- it has potential to be a great hotel in a great location; I just felt like it was very corporate and didn't have the same touch as other boutique hotels in the area. Plus, I don't like the idea that I might have been sleeping on someone else's sheets...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mlove17
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Mlove17, first and foremost I apologize for the cleanliness of your room there is no excuse for it. This is the first we have heard of it and regret we were not informed of the this while you were still our guest. We could have easily and efficiently resolved this then. We do agree that valet parking rates are expensive in downtown Portland. However, our valet rates are one of the lowest for Portland hotels. We do have a great package available through our website where you can valet for $1 extra. That is a good deal. There are also many less expensive options close to the hotel where you are able to self-park and save a couple of bucks. Please contact me, Norm, directly at 503-276-1764 if you would like to further discuss your concerns.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Danvers, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 29 January 2012

It was first time for me visiting Portland, and staying at Paramount Hotel made it even easier for me to walk around Downtown Portland, really a great location...I stayed on the 9th floor and the view was great...The staff was more than helpful ....next time I know were to stay in Potland..

1 Thank Albana B
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Albana B., they say you never forget your first time. Thanks for the review!
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The last time I stayed here, Trip Advisor didn't exist. I used to stay at the Paramount constantly when it first opened around 2000/2001 as I traveled to Portland on business 2-3 times a month and the Paramount became both my favorite and my go-to hotel at that time.

The urban park in front of the hotel at that time was a surface parking lot, the movie theater wasn't even conceived, there was no restaurant in the hotel lobby, and the hotel even served a complimentary continental breakfast back in those days. Time and a job change took me away from coming regularly to one of my absolute favorite cities in the U.S.

A recent business trip took me to downtown Portland and I was eager to see what had changed or was the same from my many previous stays. I'm thrilled to say the Paramount was every bit as wonderful as I remembered.

Rates were very affordable mid-week in January - low season, so I booked an executive king room on a high floor (16 or so total floors here) complete with jacuzzi tub and walk-in shower.

The room was just as nice I had remembered - comfortable, luxurious even, but with upgraded decor and amenities as other reviewers had noted. And despite being pretty busy, the room was quiet and relaxing - just as I had remembered as well. Jacuzzi bath was a treat, shower really good, incredibly comfortable bed, sheets and pillows.

Really the only noise was from outside - being in the middle of a downtown it's to be expected and the windows in the room aren't that soundproof, even 12 floors up. Nothing major, but earplugs are a good idea if you are light sleeper and easily get woken by things like the backup beeper on trash trucks, etc. The higher the floor, the less the outside noise so be sure to get a room up high if you can.

I didn't try Dragonfish, the restaurant in the lobby, but there are so many great choices to eat within easy walk, light rail or street car, that you'll have no trouble finding good eats.

Only one block to the light rail or Portland street car. If you don't need a car in Portland, then just take MAX (light rail) from the airport to the Pioneer Square North stop, and it's a short couple of blocks walk to the hotel.

Overall, great stay, highly recommended and a place I'll be sure not to let another decade past before I stay again!

Room Tip: Get a high floor to reduce ambient noise from outside. Views good from all sides.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
hotelreviewer333 (great handle for tripadvisor) Thank you for your comments! Yes, our neighborhood has changed so much over the last 12 years, all for the better. I appreciate your mention of the Max lightrail. Many visitors to Portland do not realize how nice and convenient our train system is. Plus, they are free in the downtown area. We hope to see you again soon.
Scappoose, Oregon
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights after our wedding in early January of 2012 before we flew out to Cabo. The Paramount has it down, service, room quality, cleanliness. My husband and I have not quit talking about many elements of our stay that they did right.

We checked in on a Friday night around 10pm. Our bell hop was very helpful (I usually try to avoid these people, but our guy was great!) The front desk check in guy was efficient but a little dorky/quirky. They had upgraded our room for free because of the occasion. KUDOS to them, we really enjoyed our jacuzzi tub!

We will defiantly be returning for anniversaries and will recommend this place to our friends. They did a great job at being there if we needed them to but not interfering when we didn't want them.

The Paramount knows how to run a great luxury hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for your review Mrs. K, we look forward to being part of many anniversaries to come!
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I stay here every time I come to Portland. One of my nationwide favorites. Everything is first-rate. Restaurant is super and accommodating; we needed to change it to a small business conference and they worked with us quickly and precisely. The hotel staff itself are all more than helpful. I have nothing bad to say about this place. I stay here probably 6-7 times a y ear.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Thank you so much Blair C for the very kind review! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.