“Love the Pearl”

Ranked #9 of 71 Bakeries in Portland
Description: Excellent Sandwiches, And Pastries That Make You See Unicorns
Description: Excellent Sandwiches, And Pastries That Make You See Unicorns
Reviewed 6 October 2017

First, the staff was friendly, engaging and efficient. The Bakery offers a lot of options from bread to cookies to muffins. The vegan blueberry muffin was tremendous. Best vegan muffin ever. The coffee was solid. The atmosphere and lay out of the bakery was very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed the Pearl and visited numerous times throughout our vacation.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

The food is fine. The restaurant's "first come, first served" maxim is a joke, a contortion of what that expression actually means, and a disservice to customers. On the day we went, there was a line of people from the door to the counter at which one places an order, pays, and receives a number. There aren't many tables at the bakery, and one (actually, two tables pushed together) was occupied by someone saving it for his party, who were at the end of the ordering line. This meant that people who had placed their order, or had even received their food, were forced to stand around while some joker hogged tables.

When the table-saver insisted that he was going to stay put, I asked to speak to the manager. The manager in turn informed me that the Pearl Bakery does not have a policy by which people order before they occupy a table. His response to me was "first come, first served, sorry." Of course this cliche' actually contradicts Pearl Bakery's real policy, which is "grab a table when you walk in the door, never mind first come."

It is very poor management to have customers standing around with their food while people in line to order are "reserving" tables. And it is the responsibility of management to establish a rational order.

My advice: buy a cookie and eat it somewhere else. Or better yet, walk around the block---you'll find a dozen places with food that is just as good, and where customer service policies are reasonable and respectful.

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

Stopped by Pearl Bakery looking for a sweet treat. Sandwiches, pastries, breads, cookies and croissants looked amazing. I selected a black and white cookie. It was a bit dry. I wish I had the chocolate croissant instead. I would go back and give it another try.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

One morning we stopped by to grab pastries to go, and they were good enough that we went back the next morning to do the same. A solid bakery, and worth a visit!

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

This bakery is difficult to find but worth to visit. It's located at 9th street.
We try some bread and sandwiches, there are excellent. If this bakery caffe is in my hometown I visit every day.