“Excellent Ethiopian ”

Bete Lukas
Ranked #369 of 4,586 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/24/572246/restaurant/Richmond/Bete-Lukas-Portland
Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

Amazing food and excellent service! I've been to many Ethiopian places and this is definitely one of the best. So good!

Reviewed 12 September 2016

This was the first Ethiopian food we tried in the Portland Metro Area and we weren't disappointed.

Enough reviews will tell you that the entry is on the second floor and despite knowing that, it can be a little harder to locate the place. We were a party of 6, which included two toddlers (ya, we are brave!). I am glad we called ahead of time as I think the wait would have been too long otherwise (on a Saturday night). The seated area is on the smaller side so a bigger party might have to wait longer. They still did the best to accommodate us, given the kids and all! The head guy (I believe the owner) is hard to miss-- he has a unique style of humor, which some may love and some not-so-much. Our opinion changed after every interaction with him!

The food was spot on. We were all Indian in our group, so we have a particular inclination toward Ethiopian food, given the family-style eating and similar flavor profiles as Indian food. We ordered lentil and veggie sambusa first. Great tasting-- lentil sambusa being way spicier than the veggie sambusa. For entrees, we ordered the veggie combination, special doro tibs (a special version of ye-doro tibs available only on weekends) and doro key wot-- all family style. Everything tasted great. You don't expect cabbage and kale to taste so good, but it all does. And when you share family style, it is finished before you can go in for seconds! Doro tibs were delicious. Although doro key wot was great too, but being bone-in, it really gets difficult to share.

Service, however, was very spotty. We had to remind them about our orders multiple times every time we ordered something. They definitely looked understaffed and all servers looked overwhelmed. We eventually had to cancel our last order because it took really long (and then, kids!) but they were kind enough to do that for us.

One of the key things I look for in restaurants now is if I can take my 2 year old along, without feeling too uncomfortable. Although the space looks more appropriate for date nights and not for families (quite unlike other Ethiopian restaurants), the smaller eating area here with closely packed tables actually makes it on the louder side, which drowns my kid's shrieks. Score! (Quite another story that she shrieks even louder to get us to pay attention given the ambient noise!) There were quite a few other tables with younger kids too. The owner paid special attention to the kids on our table, tried talking to them and made sure to jokingly tell us that kids are allowed to be loud. That definitely makes us feel welcome!

Reviewed 13 June 2016 via mobile

I had great expectations for this place but was really dissappointed with for many reasons.
First of all we reached well ahead of the evening rush hour and there were empty tables. Yet they made us wait for more than 20mins. But the friendly waitresses pacified the situation.
Then we met the owner guy who has a weird sense of humor, trust me, sometimes I didn't understand if he was joking or mocking at us.
Secondly, their injera was sour, and I have had better ones from other places. For the top rated Ethiopian restaurant in Portland taste wasn't upto the mark.
Finally (this was the worst), past 8.45pm we asked for an extra injera to the owner guy and he said (on our face) that he cannot give us more because they are saving it for later customers (fyi 9pm was their closing time). At first we thought it was one of his so-called-funny replies, so we decided to wait for sometime. Meantime he closed down the front door. And we were like oh yes, no more customers, now we will get our injera. Sadly he wasn't joking.
It was very unethical of a restauranter to deny a customer's request with so much audacity. Atleast an apology would have been nice. I really doubt myself going there again.

Reviewed 28 May 2016

The place is decent with functional ambience. Most of the dishes are non-spicy. Food is fresh and tasty. Service is good considering the time taken to churn out various items. We loved the courteousness of the owner. Combination is more economical on the menu.

1  Thank Greenweiz
Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

My husband and I have been here 5 or 6 times now and it's quickly becoming one of our favorite spots. The food is delicious every time and the staff are always very friendly. We'll keep coming back.