“The Best of the Best!”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #24 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 March 2012

The Nines sets the bar for customer care! The prefect location of the hotel in the best shopping area. The luxurious suites and room accomodations. The beauty, artistic designs, and overall ambiance of the Nines are all attributes seldom found in combination in the same hotel. But the Nines does!. I could write a book about it; however, it is by far the high degree of customer care I have not found matched anywhere I have traveled in the US and Europe. From the time we walked in the door until we left, I have never been treated and accomodated with such care as experienced at the Nines. For example, our Concierge, Courtney, gave travel suggestions and arrangement for us on a daily basis. Beyond that, she sought us out daily to give us a big hello, spend time with us just chatting, and ensuring we were enjoying ourselves. It felt as though we were visiting with old friends. Even Mark, our Doorman, started off our trip with great ideas and suggestions for entertainment and restaurants. He personally saw to it that we got in and out of our parking space, safely. With my driving that is not an easy task. He was like a big brother to us throughout our stay!

Here is a perfect example of what I am saying about the outstanding customer care. When we were sitting at the desk checking out of the hotel, the entire staff in the reception area came over to us at once to talk with us before leaving, laugh and joke with us about our shopping sprees, wish us the best, and see us off. I tell you, I felt as though I was leaving home from a wonderful visit with family. I have never seen or experienced this at any hotel before.

Hotel staff members such as Courtney, Leslley, Mark, and Angelica are "national treasures" as far as we are concerned. Having managed operations and supervised numerous staff over my career, it is not hard to spot people who are going beyond what is expected of them. I have never taken time to write a note here about a hotel. I want others to have the same wonderful experience we did. Going to the Nines is the best way to go!!

Room Tip: 12th floor with the lounge adds much to your stay
1  Thank Sherland C
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

We truly appreciate the feedback you have provided. I have passed your comments along to my team with a special thank you to Courtney, Lesley, Mark and Angelica! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed 6 March 2012

I don't actually like champagne but this hotel made me feel like I should be drinking champagne...so we did! It is so beautiful on the inside...feels extremely luxurious. For being in the heart of downtown it is surprisingly quiet as well. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We have traveled extensively in the U.S. and internationally and have stayed a many a standard brand, as well as some of the most exclusive luxury hotels. We selected The Nines in Portland, in part, due to many of the rave reviews on this site.

We took the time to call the hotel directly at least a month in advance to find out about the room offerings and options. My husband was assured we would be booked into a one bedroom suite that has a nice city view on the club floor at a particular price. When we arrived and went to our room, we actually had a rather nice suite on the club floor that had no exterior windows and looked into the atrium area. Very dark and rather depressing. We called down and ended up speaking with Brandon, who first told us we had probably spoken with someone at an offsite reservation who failed to tell us that much of their inventory of rooms face the atrium (even though we called the local hotel number to ask about the rooms.) In fact, we were never told that any rooms face the atrium inside and don't have any natural light in them. He then told us there were no more suites available that face the outside but he had found a wonderful corner room with a great view on the club floor, but we had to take 2 queens instead of a king, to which we agreed. We stood outside our suite door for 15 minutes or so waiting for him to bring our new room keys. Upon arrival, he again apologized and said that room he told us we were moving to was given to another guest at that very moment while he was speaking with us on the phone (really - why bother to pull the computer system to find us an available room and not book it right away for us?) Then he led us to a tiny King room with a tiny bathroom (with a tub/shower combo with a slow drain that allowed us to take a bath and a shower all at one time) that had an ok view, but at least of the outdoors, and at that point we needed to get to our appointment for the evening. He lowered our rate on this room and also assured us that he would take care of upgrading our daughter, who was checking in the next night, in order to make up for our troubles. Obviously we weren't looking for the cheapest room, or we wouldn't have booked a suite on the club floor to start with.

Not that this is shocking, but when we went to the front desk with her to check her in the next night, there was no note from Brandon, in regards to an upgrade for her. When I inquired how to spell Brandon's last name so I could complain, suddently the clerk stated that she was upgraded to a different room and quickly handed her the key. What was not disclosed was when she executed the upgrade, she also doubled the rate for the room, which we caught upon checkout. In addition, when my husband went to pay for our daughter's room and he discovered the increased rate, he was challenged and told he needed to produce evidence of the rate he referenced from Hotels.com. Toward the end of that exchange, the clerk finally volunteered that she could look it up and confirmed that the original rate was about half of what they charged and it was modified.

Similar to some other comments we've seen here, housekeeping didn't clean the room until 4pm and did not do a complete job. Then began the process of calling to have someone come back with washclothes, as none were restocked, more shampoo and soap, that we were out of, and to take away our old coffee cups, plates and trash from the morning, which was handled in 3 different visits from 3 different people over the next hour. Mirror over desk was dirty with smudges or handprints on it from the moment we arrived.

The club lounge offering was minimal at best, although the staff was very helpful through the entire stay. The bellstaff was hit or miss - either 3 people jumping to help you all at once, or everyone watching you while you hail your own cab and then asking if you need a cab as it pulls up for you. We had a chance to eat lunch at Urban Farmer and our waitress was fantastic and the food was great!

All in all it was fine for a two days, but definitely below expectations for a luxury property. It appears there are other luxury properties in the downtown area that we could have selected instead. There seem to be some training and communication issues with the staff, resulting in inconsistent service across the board at this property.

Room Tip: Unless you have a medical condition requiring you to avoid natural light - better ask what type of r...
5  Thank milehightravelfamily
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us. This will truly help to improve operations of our property. I would like to apologize for your disappointment and the miscommunication from our staff. I will be following up with our team to ensure this type of experience does not occur in the future and I will be happy to discuss further with you if you would like.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed here in late January, 2012 for the second time (after having stayed there in April 2010). Loved it even more! On our first visit, our room, which faced into the atrium, was rather small. This time, we stayed in an outer room facing the street which was much bigger. If room size is an issue for you, make sure to pay for one of the larger rooms. The building and atrium are beautiful. I love the decor. The location is great, right on Pioneer Square. Note that Pioneer Square can get pretty loud on weekend nights with drummers and buskers but this doesn't bother me as it feels in character with Portland. Service is terrific, friendly and polite. And the restaurant, Urban Farmer, is truly great unlike so many mediocre hotel restaurants. This time I had a gorgeous shaved vegetable salad and octopus and pork belly dish. They have a wonderful cheese cart. Everything is locally-sourced, as you would expect in Portland. Really a lovely place and the atrium is a such a nice place to eat and drink. The restaurant/lounge upstairs, Departure, has great views. I have not eaten there but have tried some of their innovative cocktails. I recommend the Tasho Macho! After two stays here I can say that this is one of my favorite hotels. You can certainly stay cheaper in Portland, but The Nines is really worth a splurge and a value for how great the service is.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms are more affordable, but can be significantly smaller than rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The second you pull up you have a bellhop helping you out, the hotel was glamorous. All the employees were extremely friendly and informative about the surrounding area. Also the room service is relatively speedy. We were also informed that the Trail Blazers occasionally hang out. The night I was there the Minnesota Timberwolves happened to be staying there as well. We had just came from the Blazers and Miami Heat game so this was pretty exciting. Also they have extremely comfy down comforters. (: