2,968 results
All reviews driftwood room driftwood bar hollywood theme gracie's restaurant de luxe pillow menu the pearl rooms are small beautiful hotel corner room happy hour room service hotel bar old school front desk staff valet parking few blocks
Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel DeLuxe for an anniversary weekend some years ago, and enjoyed it so much, when it was time for our daughter to get married, we came back. After a full weekend of wedding festivities, many out of town guests staying at the hotel including the entire wedding party, I can say without hesitation that we fully recommend Hotel DeLuxe for any event or travel need you have!

The staff was so professional, caring, and incredibly helpful - Bobby, I’m looking at you and your staff here! The chef prepared dinner for over sixty wedding guests, and the beef fillet came out perfectly medium rare, the salmon perfectly cooked, the risotto the best My widely travelled friend have had outside of Italy. A very good friend who’s worked in the hotel industry for decades said it was the best hotel steak he ever had. Chef, you and your staff produced an exceptional meal, not to mention the super fun burger bar we had for the rehearsal dinner.

The hotel staff from Valet, to Front Desk, to Housekeeping did everything they could to make our guests welcome, and to help my family with the countless details we were dealing with. A thousand thanks to you all!

One more word for the kitchen at Gracie’s, the house restaurant- your eggs Benedict is unparalleled, perfectly cooked even for room service (I had it both in the restaurant proper and in room service).

Sarah in Sales, and Adrienne in Catering, thank you for coordinating the event and making sure all the bases were covered.

Management, please take excellent care of Bobby. He is a true gem, I’ve never had such outstanding and committed service anywhere.

Thank you for making our daughter’s wedding a beautiful event!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Joelle D
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

On behalf of the entire staff, I want to extend our gratitude for the wonderful review. We know how special weddings are and we strive to make each one, as well as the entire experience at the hotel, as memorable as possible. The staff is delighted to know that they succeeded. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

This boutique hotel is wonderful. The service is outstanding. It's located just far enough from the downtown core to take an easy stroll into town or hop on the convenient Lightrail train. heir rooms are a bit small, but full of decor from old Hollywood. You will definitely feel like a star.

I loved the safe and secure feeling, from the doorman to room key controlled elevators. Each floor has a Hollywood theme. Ours was classic dancing, with black & white photos of Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, James Cagney, and many more.

Room Tip: Be sure ask about additional fees.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank RodneyR2

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the theme of the hotel. There are over 400 carefully curated Hollywood photos from the Golden Age throughout the hotel, so there is much to enjoy. We are especially happy to know you felt like a star! Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

We visit Portland once or twice a year to see friends. We've stayed at a number of hotels in town, most of which have been very nice. After a recent stay at Hotel DeLuxe, it's our new favorite.

Our arrival was a little strange - things were hectic and a large family was giving the front desk some trouble. In spite of the chaos, we were greeted and assisted very graciously and gracefully.

Our room (two queen beds) was amply large and comfortable. The bathroom was decadent and beautiful. The beds were super comfy.

Room service was adequate. The food was fine. My biggest complaint was with the coffee, which I thought was not good.

That said, my husband and I *loved* the bar downstairs. The service and our drinks were excellent.

When we checked out, the woman behind the desk remembered my family and was quite lovely. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

It is wonderful to hear that we are your new favorite hotel in Portland. We are so happy to know that you were satisfied with your stay. We also appreciate the constructive feedback. We are in the process of changing our coffee, so next time you stay, you will have to let us know what you think. See you soon!

Reviewed 26 November 2017

This past weekend I promised my daughter some Daddy/Daughter time. Initially we planned on traveling to Victoria, British Columbia to visit family but our plans fell through at the last moment.

To make up for the mishap I offered my daughter a "staycation" at the hotel of her choice in downtown Portland.

My daughter is 8. She loves random adventures in general… but she REALLY LOVES hotels!

I told her she could choose any hotel she wanted on the "Hotel Tonight" app on my phone. After careful consideration of a number of prominent hotels in the area she decided on Hotel deLuxe because:

"I like the bright colors in the rooms and I like the way they spelled the last name of the hotel... deLuxe." -Alexis, Age 8

She also mentioned she’d like to see how “...fancy old movie stars lived”.

So… with that logic in mind we made plans to visit the Hotel deLuxe!

As my daughter was packing, I sent a brief email to guest services explaining that this was a Daddy/Daughter “staycation” and we’d arrive later in the afternoon.

Kimber and Yeshi replied back a short time later saying they were looking forward to our arrival and also hinted that they had “...a few surprises up our sleeves to make her stay extra special!!!”

We rode the MAX into town. Partly because I didn’t care to pay for parking (or self park) and partly because my daughter thinks riding the MAX is an adventure in and of itself!

Thankfully the MAX line is just two blocks from the hotel. Very easy walk on well lit streets. As for the location of the hotel itself, it’s close to the Pearl District and “Nob Hill” and easy walking distance to Pioneer Courthouse Square, Pioneer Place, and countless restaurants and businesses.

Movie star treatment in 3… 2… 1…

When we arrived at Hotel deLuxe my daughter’s first comment was, “Woah!”

I think that about sums it up rather nicely. I’m pretty good with words… but I think “Woah!” covers the emotion and first impression rather accurately.

Walking into the hotel and up the stairs is a bit of a time warp. The hotel’s interior clearly reminds one of Hollywood’s “Golden Age” and one instantly feels like a “somebody”. The only thing missing was a paparazzi (and thank God… because nobody needs that). :-)

We walked up to the desk and when I mentioned my last name the hotel clerk immediately looked at my daughter and said excitedly, “You must be Ms. Alexis!”

Well… that certainly got my daughter’s attention... and the movie star treatment commenced! It turned out that Alexis was the hotel’s “guest of the day” and she received a complimentary upgrade on the room! Perhaps most important (to her anyway) was that we were assigned to the top floor… the 8th floor… and that’s pretty awesome when you’re 8yrs old! Sometimes the universe just works for you, right? ;-)

Everything in the hotel is beautiful and truly a blast from the past. Everything from the beautiful elevators (never thought I’d ever type that) to the long hallways lined with large black and white photos of movie stars and scenes. Several of these photos prompted conversation from my daughter and made me realize just how many “classic movies” we have to look forward to in our future!

The suite itself was fantastic. We entered the room to find two water bottles, two treats, and an envelope with fancy writing which simply said, “Ms. Alexis”.

She tore into that envelope to find a card congratulating her for being specially selected as the hotel’s “Guest of the Day” and another card containing a complimentary breakfast at Gracie’s Restaurant or from room service.

The second thing she noticed was the “pillow menu”. I have personally never seen this in any other hotel before. The Hotel deLuxe actually offers a range of pillow types from soft to firm AND you can even order body pillows at no extra charge! We ordered two body pillows “just because”...

Room service… we didn’t make use of it this time because we had other adventures to attend to… BUT we did notice another perk that I have not seen anywhere else. You can actually order a pint of “Salt & Straw” ice cream directly to your room! If you’ve never heard of Salt & Straw then you owe it to yourself to order yourself a pint. I personally recommend the “Sea Salt with Caramel Ribbons”, it’s my favorite.

As for room service in general, were told that you can order pretty much anything anytime you like! Want a burger at 8am? You got it! Want something fancy such as a lobster omelette? You got it! If you’re an 8yr old “movie star in training” you’ll probably turn your nose up at the “fancy” stuff and instead go for the “Mouse Pancake” (mouse shaped pancake with fruit eyes, nose, and mouth). Movie stars don’t always have to be “fancy”... true “star power” means that a grilled cheese, a PB&J, or a Burger n’ Fries is available. ;-)

We opted to save our certificate to have breakfast at Gracie’s Restaurant in the morning. As much as I’d love to talk about the fantastic service we received at Gracie’s I think that needs to be it’s own separate review.

My daughter, ever curious (and as I already mentioned LOVES hotels) always loves to “explore” every inch of a hotel. Often times I have to remind her that we don’t open doors that are locked/closed. That being said, the lobby was just too much for her curiosity. The “Screening Room”, the “Green Room”, and the “Editing Room”... what are those she asked the front desk.

She was given permission to go and look in every single room…

Her favorite was “The Screening Room” where (to my own surprise) we found a large luxurious room complete with gold leaf ceiling and a movie screen! It was then that we met Claire who happily turned on the lights for us and told us all about the room and how they have screenings of classic movies a couple times a month. The event is open to the public but reservations are required. As luck would have it, they were having a screening the very next day! Claire offered to make reservations for us but we politely declined as we already had other plans. We promised to come back and attend an event soon though!

Just when you think things can’t possibly get any better, I learned that they do “Afternoon Tea” during the holiday season! I had to keep this part quiet because “Afternoon Tea” is one of the things we do when we visit Victoria!

So, I’m already planning our “next adventure”... afternoon tea at Hotel deLuxe… because I think she just found her new favorite hotel.

All of this because I happened to write “...Feel free to make her stay memorable.” to the hotel staff.

As we were leaving our room I did one final check in each room to make sure we had not forgotten anything. On the desk I noticed my daughter had scribbled a quick note:

“To deluxe hotel: I loved this visit. Love Alexis”

I will admit, seeing that note made me a bit misty eyed. Thank you so much for making her stay memorable! She had been quite disappointed that our trip to Victoria, BC was canceled. Your staff erased all of that disappointment and made me look like… well… a “Super Dad / Movie Star”.

You truly exceeded all of my expectations. So much so that I felt compelled to write this “novel” of a review for you. Happy Holidays! We will most certainly visit again soon!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
56  Thank NorthwestParent

Our staff prides itself on making dreams a reality (as least as much as we are able). We always take every request seriously and will do whatever it takes to make a special occasion memorable. We are thrilled to know we made a difference. There is nothing more rewarding than to see delight and excitement of the face of a child. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and your daughter. We hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

We love the Hotel De Luxe. The rooms are beautiful, the location is great, and the old movie theme is fun. The staff is super helpful and kind, especially Yeshi who is passionate about dining out and is full of good restaurant recommendations.

My parents had a suite which was spacious. We had a small room with a king size bed and then in return had a huge corner room #419. If you get one of these corner rooms be sure to close the curtains all the way. The street lights are bright and wear ear plugs if you are sensitive to noise eg the passing street cars.

Kimber also helped us at checkout. The one puzzling thing is the facility charge... they charge back the complimentary afternoon champagne as a part of this charge. The restaurant is good, service can be a little slow and it’s pricey for what it is.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank westsidetraveller

Thank you for the 5 Star review. It sounds like overall you were very pleased, but had constructive feedback on a few things. Thanks for pointing those out. We will be certain to address your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.