“Great ambiance”

Ranked #5 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Chicago
“Great ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We enjoyed our four night stay at Hotel Delux. We were really put off at first by the size of the room. There was about a foot around the bed to move around but the bed was very comfortable and we slept great. The shower was too small for more than one or a soak in the tub (even for one person). The other negative were the extra costs. Parking was more than we were expecting at $22 a day to park in their lot. It was raining every day so we didn't look into street parking but did find that most of the streets had meter parking. I would expect wireless connection to be free but that also cost $9 a day or $25 for a few days. The restuarant Gracies had delicious food but also was pricey. We enjoyed the convenience and quality of food so much that we had breakfast there daily. The bar was really cool but we didn't find any free seats as it is an intimate space. The service was friendly and prompt with any request. We walked to an amazing restuarant in the pearl district called Andina which I highly recommend for a special night. Overall, a very nice hotel but was a bit turned off by the high costs.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank puravida2003

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We've stayed here 3 times for weekend trips from Seattle and we've always had a great times. The place is romantic and charming, and service has always been fantastic and personal. It's a short walk to downtown and the Pearl district, but still feels tucked away.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms have great sofas for staying in to watch a movie.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel was ideally placed to explore both downtown and Washington park on foot without any associated public transport or cab fares. The service was great but the rooms could have been improved by better facilities. There were nice tea bags for example but only a coffee maker provided and anyone who wants to drink tea is unlikely to want it percolating through something coffee tasting. The tv channel selection was desperate, frustrating as the HD quality set was good. There was a vast selection of goodies in the room but only the coffee and aforementioned tea were complimentary. All in all, a nice hotel but could easily be improved.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank lebt
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I picked the Hotel deLuxe after reading about it in a travel guide and then checking out the reviews on TripAdvisor. I’m so glad I stayed here; it was one of the highlights of my trip. The hotel has a fun old Hollywood vibe. My room was comfortable and nicely decorated, and I enjoyed sampling different pillows off the pillow menu. (You can also order loaner pre-programmed iPods.) The front desk staff is friendly and very helpful, and they offer a personal touch that I think sets the Hotel deLuxe apart from other hotels. I frequently consulted the front desk for directions, and they seemed truly interested in what I was doing during my stay in Portland. They greeted me when I returned at the end of the day, they remembered what my itinerary was, and they asked me how I enjoyed the various activities and the restaurants I visited. I did experience one problem while I was at the hotel, but I was impressed by how quickly it was resolved. The hotel is dog friendly. I could hear a dog barking in a room close to mine, and I called the front desk to report it. Within a few minutes, the front desk called back to let me know they had determined which room the dog was in, called the owners, and expected them back shortly. I didn’t hear the dog again that night or during the rest of my stay. When I first arrived, I was concerned that the hotel was off the beaten path, but that proved not to be a problem at all. Portland is a very walk able city. You can walk to Powell’s, Pioneer Courthouse Square, or Nob Hill in just a few minutes, and the Max Light Rail has a stop nearby. If you stay at the Hotel deLuxe, try the Crispy Bread Pudding French Toast at Gracie’s. It’s really good.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank UrbanRecycler
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I did my homework on Trip Advisor prior to heading down to Portland and I'm glad I did. This hotel lived up to all the great reviews and I will definitely stay there again when I return to Portland.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple