All reviews streetcar stop omelette bar south waterfront huge shower made to order omelets valet fee custom omelets omelette station living room area public transportation extended stay mass transit free breakfast full kitchen quiet location one bedroom suite willamette river
Reviewed 23 May 2017

This is a nice Hyatt House location. It's new, well maintained with very friendly staff. The breakfast is very good with omelets made to order and other good breakfast selections. Good location with relatively easy access to restaurants and downtown Portland. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Cathleen S, General Manager at Hyatt House Portland / Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Stayed for an extended weekend vacation. Being close to the riverfront was nice and a few block walk to downtown. The 2nd floor deck was a nice bonus, the kids used the pool and the gym. The custom omelette option for breakfast was good if a little bit of wait to have made. The bar had only 3 beer on tap but the two I tried were both local and fantastic. Staff were always attentive and seemed to be quite positive. We didn't need the in and out valet parking since its a very walkable place. I parked a block away at $16 a night instead of $37 at the hotel.
The room was nice, clean with a huge shower and very comfortable beds. Our room was adjacent to the elevator which can be noisy, but I didn't hear a thing, well done!
Overall a very positive experience.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Cathleen S, General Manager at Hyatt House Portland / Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Thank you for your recent stay and for staying with us. I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel and the location. I appreciate you recognizing the staff, it will be a delight to share your comments with them.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 May 2017

....I'm a bit surprised with all the terrific reviews here about the great service as my experience wasn't like that. The staff are nice and all and helpful when you can get to them but that's part of the problem. When I checked in (right at check-in time) there was only 1 person at the desk and she was on a horrible call from a potential guest who seemed like they had never stayed at a hotel before. In any case, I patiently waited for 10 minutes while other staff members and the manager and duty, all walked by me at the desk with no offer to help. Finally, I could sense the desk person knew I needed help and she needed a break from the call so she checked me in. Ok, that was somewhat understandable but still very strange how the manager just ignored me (he was busy cutting out paper decorations or something else that was more important than helping guests).

The property is relatively new and so it's in great shape so far. I had a den room which means that it's just a typical hotel room, no kitchen but a small fridge and microwave in the room as well as a small sofa (not sure if it had a pullout bed). Clean, comfortable and relatively quiet so it was fine for me. They have a decent sized and equipped exercise room and an indoor pool on the first floor as well as a couple of computers connected to a printer in the very large lobby/dining space. Breakfast was standard fare but they had cook to order omelettes (despite a sign in the room saying it was a different entree each day). The bad thing about the breakfast was that despite being there at 7:15 am (which is NOT primetime) they had already run out of a few things like the eggs and fruit/yogurt. This again despite the fact that there were plenty of staff in the kitchen and dining room so I'm not sure if it was poor planning or poor staff training.

The location is great if you don't have a car, since there are streetcars that stop right outside the hotel and will take you into town or towards another stop where you can transfer to the airport. Within walking distance are a few restaurants in the waterfront (including a McCormick and Schmicks for their legendary Happy Hour). It's peaceful and quiet in the area and I don't recall hearing any street noise (e.g. cars honking etc).

Checking-out I encountered the same poor service. There was a gaggle of people at the desk and I patiently waited my turn to speak with one of the 2 agents. But after a couple of the people moved out of the way and I began to approach the desk, one girl walked into the back room. The other was again preoccupied by a difficult task with some guests (seems like a recurring theme here??) so she was unable to help. Again I waited 10 minutes before finally flagging down a manager (a different one) to beg for help. That's not something that guests at a Hyatt (even if it is one of their lower-end properties) should have to do. So based on the service, they have a LOT of work to do in training their staff. But the hotel is new and so far still clean and comfortable so it's a tradeoff for me if I want to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I do apologize that we failed you on your check in and check out. Those are great opportunities for us to care for you and ensure you have a great stay. I will share your comments with the team so we can work to ensure we are welcoming for all of our guests.

Reviewed 22 May 2017