All reviews agatha christie book lovers reading room family style mulled wine virginia woolf third floor literary theme herman melville spiced rice other guests mark twain hemingway room resident cat harry potter themed rooms love books
Reviewed 22 June 2016

The Sylvia Beach Hotel on Nye Beach in Newport is a gem on the Oregon coast! Located on a bluff overlooking the beach this is a book lovers B&B with all of the rooms named after authors e.g. Agatha Christie (the room we stayed in), the Hemingway room, J.K. Rowling, Jules Verne, Dr. Seuss and many more. Each room is tastefully decorated to reflect the author and his.her time period. Many rooms have ocean views and some like the Agatha Christie room have decks overlooking the beach. There is a library room on the 3rd floor overlooking the beach with comfy chairs and sofas to enhance the atmosphere for reading and just relaxing! Coffee and tea is always available. A tasty breakfast is served in the dining room on the first level - again with huge windows overlooking the beach. In addition to an assortment of bakery items, fruit, yogurt and homemade granola one hot dish is served each morning. Great time to meet and chat with fellow travelers. Each night an optional 3 course dinner is served in the same dining room for a very reasonable cost. We found all the staff to all be very friendly, accommodating and anxious to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We traveled all the way from Wisconsin for an extraordinary 6 night stay to celebrate our 20th anniversary and would return in a heartbeat! One note - be prepared to be "unplugged" during your stay as there are no TVs, no Wifi service and cell phone use is prohibited in the common areas. Very refreshing!

Room tip: The Agatha Christie room is a corner room on the 1st floor with a huge deck overlooking the beach/ocean and has a woodburning fireplace.
Reviewed 17 June 2016

For those who don't know, the Sylvia Beach hotel has all its rooms decorated around different themes associated with authors--the Mark Twain room, the Ernest Hemmingway room (with stuffed head on the door), and so forth. Our room was the Virginia Woolf room and quite small. No view of the ocean but a few steps from the beach. The food was wonderful, the other guests at our table were so talkative we didn't have to resort to the "two truths and a lie" device to start visiting. I don't know that we'll be back--the bathroom was tiny and there weren't many amenities (like a closet to hang our clothes). Glad we went once.

Room tip: Go for the bigger rooms like Collette.
Reviewed 16 June 2016

Yes, you certainly need reservations to stay here because it is very popular. But, seriously, this isn't the place for you if 1. You can't live without the Internet, 2. You can't live without TV, 3. You can't handle stairs (but see below), 4. Small rooms, uneven floors, old buildings, and a certain shabbiness turn you off.

Room selection is paramount, and I don't mean pick your favorite author. Every room is furnished differently. Ours didn't have a place to put our suitcase. Chair quality and bed sizes vary.

We got a first floor room and my wife, who has difficulty with stairs, stuck to the lobby for reading and we used the sidewalk/ramp outside to get to the Table of Contents restaurant. I spent hours writing in the reading room on the third and fourth floors. It's a fabulous view up there, and not bad in the lobby, so you don't really need a good view from your room.

Construction work (replacing the siding and new windows on the south side) made for unpleasant noise during the day, but we were warned when we made our reservations. The rest of the time the place is quiet and peaceful. The bed wasn't great but we slept well anyway.

Parking is limited in their own lot. Most guests will have to park on the street, which is plentiful.

Oh, one bit of information you should know. It's not Sylvia's Beach Hotel, or the hotel at Sylvia Beach. The hotel named after a person, Sylvia Beach.

Room tip: Check their website and discuss your preferences when you make reservations.
Reviewed 15 June 2016

We were staying near by and were told to check this hotel out. Loved the gift shop and the interesting information on this historic building. All book lovers should stop by and see this or book a room in advance that is designed for your favorite author

Room tip: Check out their website
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2016 via mobile

This is a super cute B&B right on the Oregon coast. Staff is friendly and kind and there is an overall relaxed atmosphere about the house. I love the author theme rooms and they are mostly clean including the bathroom and bedding. I stayed in the Gertrude Stein room on the second floor. It's on the small side and there is no closet or chest of drawers to put your clothes in. Above the toilet is a sign to jiggle the handle because the toilet likes to run. The water pressure in the shower is fabulous. One morning Shelly the cat was right outside of my room to greet me and she even spend a little time in my room with me. Very sweet kitty.
The property needs some renovating -- water damaged ceiling in the lobby etc. There is a sitting room on the third floor and off that room I believe is a coffee lounge but that is all closed off for repair -- it doesn't look like anyone has done anything in there recently.
Unfortunately I didn't get to try the breakfast because the party I was traveling with preferred to eat elsewhere. But I did appreciate the coffee in the lobby with fresh chilled cream.
It was a lovely stay but I hope renovations would be under way soon.

Trip type: Travelled with friends