“Still my favorite Chowder -- 10 years later!”

Chowder Bowl at Nye Beach
Ranked #12 of 121 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$6 - US$18
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 20 November 2017

I just stopped at the Chowder Bowl recently for the first time since I was in college -- 10 years ago. I'm overwhelmingly happy to report that nothing has changed and it's still my FAVORITE clam chowder in Newport, most likely my favorite chowder on the entire Oregon Coast! Their other food is also spot-on, exactly as I remember, and they have DEFINITELY earned this 5 star review! Being consistent for over 10 years says a lot!

Of course their chowder is EPIC and everyone that walks into their establishment needs to order at least a cup. It's very creamy, good consistency, and a good ratio of clam to potato to cream. They serve it with a pat of butter which makes it absolutely amazing, the flavor of all the ingredients coming together perfectly. Wish I was there right now!

Their other food is also awesome, and I usually get the calamari and chips. They serve it with tartar and another special sauce that I remember from back when I was in college! I'm stoked they still serve it! It's really good, a sweet, almost orange sauce that goes with the fried food perfectly. A HUGE plus also....their calamari is cooked how it should be....NOT overdone! Soooo many places cook it too long and it has that tough rubbery consistency....here it's perfectly tender! Lastly their chips....are SOOOO GOOD!! I love them, thin cut, golden brown, and taste amazing with the dipping sauces...a solid win all the way around!

The wait staff is also friendly and the food comes out at a good pace. The atmosphere is your typical Oregon Coast establishment with cool old coastie pictures on the walls and a nautical theme. There's quite a bit of seating so it looks like even when they get slammed they can accommodate.

I really love the Chowder Bowl and I'm so happy to report that it's just as good today as it was when I was in school...I definitely recommend it for some awesome seafood and the best clam chowder in Newport!

1  Thank TropikalParadize
Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

My wife and i decided to make a day trip to the coast, and ended up at nye beach in newport where we had lunch at the chowder bowl. This place has a great location in a cool part of town. The inside is very nice and clean, and the staff are friendly and attentive. My wife had the coconut shrimp which she said was very good. I had the two piece fish and chips with a cup of clam chowder. Chowder was very good, but the fish was excellent. The breading was crisp and not at all greasy. The only part i didnt really care for was the fries were round like a silver dollar, and thin, and kind of hard and overdone. I think steak fries would be a great option. We would highly recommend the chowder bowl.

2  Thank Loklie
Reviewed 11 November 2017

The place is a bit hard to find, especially ar night, so glad we had GPS. The hotel clerk recommended it. My husband had the clam chowder and fish & chips and I also had the fish & chips and Marionberry cobbler. The fish is Pacific cod and was perfectly cooked. The fries were round. Chowder and dessert were good. Service was fast and the decor is basic.

1  Thank Marie S
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

We have been eating there since shortly after they opened back in the eighties. The food is good with some of the best taste and service you can find in Newport. I have never had a bad experience there. When you go be sure to get some chowder base to go when you leave. You just mix it with the same amount of milk or half and half and you can have fresh clam chowder at home. Also, they do not put bacon in it to confuse the issue. We live over 200 miles away now, but the Chowder Bowl is a must stop whenever we are in town.

1  Thank Nimrod8846
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

Clam chowder was a bit of a let down for me. Appreciated the generous portion of clams in it, but the consistency was sub-par. Fish and chips were okay. Again generous portions, but not necessarily for the price...

1  Thank OregonFan36