“Average Hotel”
Review of Travelodge Newport

Travelodge Newport
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 4 October 2011

This hotel is in a very convenient location just off Highway 101. There are several restaurants in the walking distance from the hotel. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room is spacious and clean but the whole facility looks bit old and need upgrading in few areas. Average breakfast is included in the room rate which is a good feature for a early morning start to your travel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 October 2011

This hotel was comfortable and clean. Nice breakfast, nice staff. The king sized bed was very comfortable, and they had plenty of outlets for phones, cameras etc. My only complaint is the shower. There was no tub and the hot water took well over a minute to go from ice cold to warm.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I stayed here recently on a Friday night as I had business the next day in Newport. The property, especially the office, has been renovated since the last time I stayed here (when it was still the Newport Motor Inn, before Travelodge bought it). The room was okay, but nothing more than that. There was no AC and you could hear noise from Hwy 101. I checked on-line booking prices, which are about $30 less than I paid as a walk-in, even with a discount. I don't have any real complaints, but neither do I have any real compliments.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We stayed here for the weekend when we took my nephew to see the ocean for the first time. This was a good middle of the road motel. It was a full size bed where I had reserved a queen size.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We found the Newport Travelodge on Tripadvisor and since most of the reviews were good we thought we would stretch our travel budget and save a little on the room by staying here instead of something in the $120 range that we would normally do. Big mistake. We almost didn't stay at all and definitely won't be back.
The room they gave us smelled like smoke and the bathroom was unacceptable. The toilet seat and lid should have been replaced about 10 years ago (bubbles under the paint pushing through from who knows what moisture). It doesn't take a top notch manager to know that it makes more sense to spend $12 on a new toilet seat than to have your guests walk out of the room. The shower was about the same. The walls were delaminating from years of overuse with cleaners I suppose. All I know is that my wife and I weren't going to use it.
I called the front desk and after a few minutes the manager and trainee came to look at what we had issues with. The manager was obviously not of the same mind and attempted briefly to defend the bathroom but quickly showed us another room. It was much better but still below par for $80.
The bottom line is that if you are used to staying in the $100 room and think it is worth a try to save $20 here don't waste your time.
Similar to other travelers who reviewed this property, the plastic mattress cover was uncomfortable and the mattress left much to be desired. Not a great nights sleep.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family