All reviews fly fishing dining room umpqua river other guests the cottages sandwich oregon wines the main lodge half mile soup salmon next morning remote location maple ridge one night stay common deck house wine
Reviewed 19 July 2017

My husband and I stayed at the Steamboat Inn for four nights and can't say enough good things about this spectacular place! We rented the Maple Ridge cabin, which we would do again as it was so private! Completely private deck overlooking the Umpqua River, very comfortable bed, small, but decent kitchen. The food in the restaurant was spectacular! Simple, but fresh and well cooked. We have already planned a second trip!

Room Tip: Maple Ridge cabin is completely private!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JFiddler
Reviewed 11 July 2017

We recently stayed at the Steamboat Inn and were extremely impressed with each aspect of our visit. We stayed in one of the cottages which was so spacious it could easily accommodate a large group. It included a kitchen, sitting room, a separate bedroom upstairs and my favorite...a soaking tub. The cottage was very clean and comfortable. It was wonderful to relax on the deck viewing the serene wilderness area - so peaceful. The view of the river is amazing. We enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner in the restaurant. The food was fabulous...some of the best food I have had in a while. The servers were attentive and friendly...very welcoming. It is a fantastic place to unplug and truly relax...I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carrie C
Reviewed 29 June 2017

Originally went here thinking it would be a upscale night away, but it wasn't what we expected. Once we adjusted to the fact that it was really more of a one bedroom fishing cabin, than a fancy mountain hotel room, it was ok. The price of dinner and a room suggests luxury, but I think the term pleasant is better. Dinner was fine, although the steak was over cooked (ordered med-rare, and ended up with mid-well, after a long enough wait that it wasn't worth sending back. The wine was fine but very price, other than the house wine which was actually better than the bottle we had that was twice the price. The rooms were very clean, and were comfortable, but not fancy or high end in any way. There is no AC, but a box fan made it ok. We did have an unexpected visitor or two in our room, who ate our candy, and advised the front desk that they might want to set a trap. Overall it was a relaxing night away, in a pretty setting.... just not what we expected.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RHDL
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

We were on our way from Crater Lake to the Oregon Coast. Had planned to picnic, but it was drizzling. Kind of a remote area. We came around a bend in the road and found Steamboat Inn. Very inviting w/ lots of flowers and shrubs in bloom. Cozy little dining room with friendly service and good food. We both had soup and a sandwich and explored the beautiful grounds. Truly a hidden gem. Was so enchanted we bought a coffee mug as a souvenir. One of those special places we will remember as a highlight of the trip, in large part because it was so unexpected. A picture of Jimmy Carter in fly fishing gear in the lobby, so maybe not as undiscovered as we might have hoped, but if you're within 50 miles, it's worth a detour.
Struck us that it would be a wonderful get away from it all destination. Good book, some wine and no cares. And as another poster noted, in general you can't be found by cell phone. In this day, that alone is a reason to go. Nice job, Steamboat!!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lotide-lady
Reviewed 30 May 2017

We had a very romantic stay here. I will start with some of the unexpected aspects of the stay. This place lacks some conveniences, while not being at all cheap or junky. For instance, there was no convenient way to reach anyone back home during our stay. Our room had a telephone, but you couldn't call out without first purchasing a calling card from the not-always-open front desk. (Remember calling cards? Like people would use in phone booths in Europe in the 1990s?) Internet didn't work in our room at all, but I think it worked in the main lodge a short and easy "walk" away, up a pretty garden path. And there was no cellphone coverage anywhere nearby. This was an issue for me because I was taking a first-time overnight away from my toddler and had assumed I'd be reachable. You can go up to the main building/library to check emails, but forget being constantly reachable. Probably not a huge issue for most travelers but worth a mention.

The lodges are lovely and manage to be a bit rustic or homey while offering some luxury. The beds were very comfortable and the "rooms" themselves-- one-room one-bath cabins connected by a balcony on the river-- were quite nice, updated, as clean as any four-star hotel. The bed was very comfortable.

Dinners were interesting. One seating only, all guests together. Now first of all, try not to leave for the hotel with the aim of arriving just on time for dinner, because it's located such that you'll be taking Bureau of Land Management and State Forestry Department logging/forest roads, which are gorgeous but could be confusing, winding, may be gravely/trail-like et c,-- you don't want to be in a hurry on the way there. And if you miss dinner, I'm not even sure where you'd eat nearby.

I liked the group dinners quite a bit. The all-guests-together seating works in that setting, where guests have probably just enough in common (liking nature, possibly fishing, having some reason to know about the Umpqua River) and the food is super fantastic (as good as five-star Manhattan restaurants I've eaten at), and the servers do a fantastic job and seem to enjoy it. We met people from all over the country and one couple from Denmark.

Breakfast was more of a typical restaurant pancake-breakfast sort of affair, you seat yourself, and it's fun to wave at the other guests fro the night before reading their papers or whatnot. Very tasty pancakes, more low-key, acceptable coffee (I'm a coffee snob though), and the breakfast tea was much better than you'd find at most restaurants. There is also outdoor garden seating which was so lovely, right up against the river.

Then there's the river itself. As my boyfriend said when we walked out (near the lodge's outdoor seating) and stood on a particular part of the bank of the Umpqua: "This is The Cathedral." It is the cathedral of rivers. It is breathtaking there.

The library room at the lodge was charming, with overstuffed chairs and some very good flyfishing literature.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple