“I almost hate to tell you how awesome this place is, I want to keep it a secret!”

Syun Japanese Restaurant & Sake Club
Ranked #2 of 314 Restaurants in Hillsboro
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2018

I have been several times - we order family style and keep the plates coming, each of us trying a bit of this and a bite of that to accompany the flights of sake or bottles of beer. I have been told that this is the custom in Japananese Izakaya (Bar) and boy am I glad that someone brought it all the way to the basement of the old library in Hillsboro! The shiitake mushroom stuffed with spicy salmon is transcendent, a medley of flavor and texture that is so much more than the sum of its parts. Sake steamed clams, tempura okra pods, smoked octopus - each one unique and so delicious. The staff are charming, knowledgable and attentive, the atmosphere down to earth and focused on making plate after plate of amazing food.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

We’ve been eating at Syun for a number of years and once again, our diner with friends was delicious. Don’t miss the miso marinated cod, the mackerel or their selection of sashimi, nigiri and sushi rolls.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 27 August 2018

Great food, great atmosphere. When I go here I feel transported to Japan. Service is very friendly and efficient. I never had a bad experience. Last time I went I had the firecracker sushi or something like that (delicious!)

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 9 August 2018

The food is tasty and authentic as long as you stick to the usual dishes. Once you step out to their creative offerings, they lose the the Japanese touch. The waitress we had didn't speak Japanese nor was she familiar with the dishes. But overall, the food is good.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 18 June 2018

This place is great. I have NEVER been disappointed with the quality of food. The wait can get busy on a weekend night, but it is worth the wait. It can get a bit noisy at lunch (local IT crowd), but that's just because Syun is so popular (and rightfully so!) If you can get away early for their happy hour, it runs from 4-6 M-Th (I think), you beat the crowd, and it's a bit quieter then. Oh, and the happy hour menu is very tasty and well-priced. Do not expect cheap food, nor prices- it's not what I would say is overly expensive, but the food is high quality, so do expect it to cost more than a conveyor-belt sushi place.

Date of visit: April 2018