“Lunch on a road trip”

La Casita De Oro
Ranked #14 of 33 Restaurants in Gold Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

What a treat! Headed to a winter break in Oceanside, CA where we have a fav taquitos stand! The taquitos and carne asada quesidillo at the casita will definitely help get us the rest of the way down the coast! Great find just driving by.

Reviewed 17 November 2016

Absolutely delicious. Started off with complimentary chips and salsa. I ordered the Cheese Enchiladas which came with refried bean, salad, and rice...all very good. Hubby ordered some spicy shrimp meal...and it was spicy...and also very good. Server was friendly and altogether a great experience.

Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

I've avoided La Casita de Oro on my trips, mostly out of suspicion of the plethora of bad Mexican restaurants in small towns, but I dropped in despite my plan to go elsewhere, because the surf is gorgeous today, and I think we are going to have a great sunset, and sooner than the other place would allow me to see it.

Right. The place is small, like a homey Mexican diner. Nice. Food. I could hear frying back in the kitchen, which turned out to be my fresh tortilla chips. Light, crisp, hot and good. The salsa was the only middling part, heavily tomato, and a little bit mouth coating and dull. Still, you can't stop eating those chips with it.

I ordered the three green enchiladas, going with chicken, which I almost never do, and retried beans only, no rice. The beans are super creamy, no whole beans to
be found, just be aware of that. They deliciously earthy, and probably helped by a healthy dose of lard. I loved them.

The enchiladas were some of the best I've ever had, incredibly tender chicken (being dried out is why I never order it), I groaned with joy when my mouth discovered this moist chicken. The tomatillo salsa was bright, acidic, and had that brightness that would have helped the red salsa with the chips. The enchiladas were not covered in a sheath of melted cheese, either, instead maybe about 50% light topping, which was nice. I didn't order cheese enchiladas for that reason, although I'm sure they're good, too. By the way, the portion was enormous, and for $11.50 would feed two. I was eyeballing the camarones on the menu, but that will have to be next trip.

You won't find any of the fun stuff here, like menudo, tripa, lengua, cabeza, etc, but being a coast town I wasn't expecting it. 5 stars for being the best Mexican I've found on the coast (but with only one dinner, caveat).

I'm definitely coming back.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

We visited this restaurant last year and loved the food. A young man served us and he was efficient and friendly. This year we had to wait quite awhile for our food and it wasn't as tasty. It is a family business and the father was busy cooking at the fair across the highway. We weren't as happy this time however we will try again next year.

Reviewed 1 August 2016

We ate at this very small, very down-home restaurant last year and liked it very much. We tried again this year and found it the same - good! A measure of how good it is was that almost all customers that were leaving the restaurant after they had their lunch volunteered their compliments for the good food. There is limited space to eat and probably it is best for take-away. An unconditional "yes."