“The food, the service and the view, all amazing”
Review of Restaurant Beck

Restaurant Beck
Ranked #3 of 35 Restaurants in Depoe Bay
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2018

I started with the 45 degree duck egg (very different but sooo good) followed by more duck, also very good. My husband had the grilled romaine and the beef, excellent as well, this is a place to enjoy good food, to not hurry and be pampered by very nice people.

Reviewed 2 July 2018

The view from this place will knock your socks off. We were a group of 2 couples. We all did the 7 course tasting menu (we should have only done 5). Everyone loved every course. Wine pairing very nice as well. Staff did a great job.

1  Thank Cliff M
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Visited May 1, 2018, celebrating my 50th Birthday. We dined at 7pm. Only 4 tables were filled that night and all of us had window front views of Whale Cove, the ocean beyond, and the sunset to come. The scenery is definitely a large part of this experience. Dinner was timed to take advantage of the evening light and the sunset and we weren't disappointed.

My wife and I ordered the 7 course tasting menu with wine pairing. Our server was knowledgeable of the menu, the wine, and where the food was sourced. Food was of excellent quality with many items that must be difficult to get, such as unripe almonds, which were sliced and served with one of the fish courses. We loved the meal, even if certain courses or aspects of courses didn't quite mesh with our tastes. My wife and I discussed it throughout the night and even if we didn't always agree with the chefs vision, we could definitely tell he had one. So for example:

The bread course was served with an especially strong olive oil that tasted of grass clippings. Not just a hint of grass, but like mow the lawn and put it in a bowl. Off putting at first, however, as we had a couple bites, it took us both back to being younger and laying in the grass in summer and smelling it all around you, and maybe pulling slowly at an individual blade until the green shoot pulls out clean and then you'd chomp on it and it would taste a little sweet, but also earthy and for lack of a better term, uh, grassy. So, anyway, even if the olive oil was a little strong for our tastes, it still encouraged a reaction, an emotion.

The rest of the meal was equally inspiring, and I don't want to sound as if we were struggling to enjoy the food. It was great. I enjoyed the sea bass, while the wife said the pork belly with hazelnut ice cream stood out for her. We were both looking forward to the foie gras and it delivered - served with a spiced popcorn and house made marshmallow. The least memorable plates were the hamachi sashimi, which tasted fishy, and the wagyu beef. The sous vide preparation and being served with pickled mustard seeds and parsnips really just reminded me of an elevated corned beef and cabbage. I've wondered if that was really the intent, the vision of that dish? Or maybe not. Maybe I'm taking all of this way too seriously. But that's what can be fun with this kind of meal, yes? So...anyway...along the way and throughout the meal we really enjoyed the thoughtful and well curated wine accompaniment. Whoever put that together has my admiration. I wish we could have gotten a list.

Close to 2-1/2 hours later, the desert was served and again brought back memories of summers past. It consisted of various mousses and an ice cream quenelle set on a chocolate wafer crumble. When I took a bite, there was a smoky creosote aroma filling my nose and the back of my mouth. Like I was eating in front of a smoky campfire on a hiking trip long ago. Very unexpected and very unique. It definitely added a counterpoint to the sweetness and made the dish memorable.

So all and all it was seven courses plus the bread. Hamachi sashimi, sea bass, black cod, foie gras, pork belly with ice cream, wagyu beef and the campfire desert.

Our server was very thoughtful. As we arrived and got settled, she offered to take our picture out on the deck. I really appreciated a birthday photo of my wife and I that wasn't a selfie. As the food came out of the kitchen, she recited the various ingredients and preparations from memory as she set our plates down and poured the wine. This was really appreciated because there was so much going into these dishes. She also made sure the meal was paced well. We never had plates "on deck" and never felt hurried as we talked and ate and enjoyed the darkening views. Even though we ended up being the last ones there.

One thing to take note of: People like to shut it down early around here. Our meal was done and paid by 10pm and for sure the crew was past ready to go home. Our server had promised a couple times to get us a copy of the menu and a list of the wines we were served as a souvenir, but after we signed the check, she disappeared. Kind of weird, no goodbye thanks for visiting or "hey the door's over there". Just gone. So we showed ourselves out. I'm pretty certain we know how to tip fine dining, so I don't think that was the issue.

We've had the chefs menu at various Strip restaurants at home and for creativity and quality of product, the Restaurant Beck competes with many and surpasses some that are twice the price. I am very glad to have spent my birthday here. It was a great memory and a better meal.

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Although Restaurant Beck has a classy environment and lovely view, the rest of the experience fell way short. We were showed to our table and both chairs had stains. My chair had a large stain and was quite wobbly. I asked for a different one. Not the kind of first impression you expect at a high-end restaurant. Next, they brought bread and olive oil. When we asked for butter, waitress said they ran out. Really? Again, not in keeping with this level of restaurant. The bread was good, but would have been better with butter. Their menu was limited, which is generally not a problem. But both seafood options were cod, which was disappointing since I don't like cod. Why not have two different seafood options with such a limited menu? Especially since the three other items were heavy: marbled beef, duck and pork belly as I recall. The service was ok, but nothing special. Felt like we were at a beach cafe rather than a restaurant aspiring to be high-end. The dishes, again aspiring to be gourmet and special, were just disappointing. The entree portions were fine and tasted ok, but the accompaniments were skimpy and too precious. It all felt pretentious and somewhat silly in light of the rest of the experience being far less than first-class.

4  Thank WriterBKS
Reviewed 29 May 2018

We celebrated my birthday here and enjoyed over 2 hours of delicious food and wine. I chose the 3 course tasting menu paired with wine. We were the first to arrive so had our pick of the tables, all have beautiful views of the cove. Our service was very attentive throughout our meal and we were given a complimentary dessert for my birthday. It was a very special time, this restaurant is my favorite on the Oregon Coast and I'm sure we will be returning again in the near future. :)