“A TIME MACHINE”

The Grove Cafe & Lounge
Ranked #33 of 51 Restaurants in Cottage Grove
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Description: The Grove Café and Lounge has been a Cottage Grove Landmark since 1950. Offering all day Breakfast, Fresh Local Beef Hamburgers, Homemade Soups & Salads, and of course our famous Groovy Cocktails. Come sit in our comfortable lounge and enjoy the game on one of our big screen Tv's or if you prefer play one of our Video Lottery Games or Keno. Open most nights till 2:30 am come on by and see what all of the buzz is about.
Reviewed 17 March 2017

This place will take you back to the 1960's. The food is good for the price (dirt cheap) and folks come here to drink, mainly. The drinks are cheapest in town. The vibe changes night to night, so it may be cool for you, or not...

Reviewed 23 May 2016

Local, Small town bar, with decent drinks. can accommodate small groups, good drinks, and decent on street parking.

Reviewed 1 July 2015

I was looking for a spot to stop and have lunch on my way to Eugene, and since I refuse to eat fast food & generally shun chain restaurants, I'm always on the lookout for the old independent mom & pop eateries of yesteryear that have been vanishing like an endangered species practically all my life. The notice of an "Historic Downtown" caught my eye on the freeway sign so I exited I-5 and cruised down…yes! you guessed…Main Street, where nary a McDonalds or Lyons is to be found. A few bar & grill spots caught my eye, but The Grove Tavern has a superb old neon sign above it that I found irresistible.

There is some kind of smallish and bland looking restaurant out front, but do go into the other door for The Lounge, instead --- it's like a trip into the neighborhood tavern of 1964, where your uncle hung out while you sat in the café wishing you were old enough to go in with him. Except for the three big flat-screen TVs over the bar (which, at least, they gratefully keep on MUTE) and the disappearance of the perpetual haze of cigarette smoke (and this is a good thing) it has hardly changed. It's still dim and cool inside, and I sat at a small booth by the bar and had the Daily Special, a turkey melt on whole wheat with a side of cole slaw and a draught Ninkasi ale, a craft beer from Eugene, all served by the cute and attentive bartender. The whole works was only a little over ten bucks and it was delicious. Best of all was just to relax and check out the scene as I munched, with regulars sitting up at the bar grumbling about local politics and swapping gossip over their drinks, a few tourists coming and going, while the Keno machine lit up with its numbers and weird looking people on the weather channel gestured broadly in front of swirling maps. I left in a very happy frame of mind, and had fun poking around in Main Street's various second-hand shops on the way back to my car.

1  Thank MojoLad
Reviewed 21 March 2015

We used to visit this place a couple times a month. The last 2 times we stopped by, there was a sign on the door saying "Enter Through the Bar". I bring my teenage daughter with me. . not an option. Another time I called ahead to make sure they were open. I was told the bar was open but they didn't have a cook, so all they could give us was "fried" things. :(

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We wanted a local place, and this fit the bill. We got there close to closing time and were the only ones there. JR welcomed us and told us about the special. Menu is small, with a good choice of sandwiches, burgers, chicken, etc. Food was tasty, service very friendly, and dinner very inexpensive. A good choice if you aren't looking for a fancy restaurant.

1  Thank RetiredTraveler2009