New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Surfsand Resort

Surfsand Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Kent
“Wonderful Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Surfsand for a quick winter get away and had a marvelous time. We were able to bring our dog with us and the amenities were fantastic. The view from the room couldn't better. They really make it convenient for pet owners by supplying towels, bedding, food and water bowls and warm water hoses outside to wash the beach off your dog. I highly recommend this place as it is right on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the third floor unobstructed view rooms.
1 Thank CookinCrazy
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this review, 25 November 2015
Thank you for vacationing with us! We love it when guests bring their pets along with them.

Jerry W. Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We loved it here! We got one of the deals they had going for the month of February which meant we were placed in the back section of the campus where one is graced with a "partial view" of the ocean. Now that we've set the stage, let's proceed my friends. Living in economy housing is still more than it is cracked up to be at the Surfsand. We had a Tempur-Pedic mattress, with wonderful updated furniture. Not the cheap stuff you are usually blessed with in the, usually grim, economy rooms of today's hotels. But furniture that is comfortable, sturdy. Practical, yet stylish just the same time. We noticed instantly that the bathroom was enormous with a big shower and a separate soaking tub that could fit a good looking 5ft 7in supermodel like my wife and her significantly larger husband, both in height and width (ME), AT THE SAME TIME! Go Surfsand!!!

Views of Haystack Rock can be seen from just about everywhere. The staff are VERY friendly and instantly available should you need them for anything. The room is very clean. (That's right folks, I'm still in it as I write this.) They have treats daily in the lobby. Today was cookies, ice cream, and chocolate milk. Regular milk too if you aren't the type that likes to live life on the edge. I peaked through the window of the pool and fitness rooms and was impressed. Both looked updated and I'm sure would have been more than pleasurable experiences had I desired to pursue either option.

The two drawbacks to economy housing is as follows:
1. Your deck is shared with your neighbor. There is a 2x4 railing that comes up to just above my knees dividing the two spaces. So had I walked out there on a blustery day with the ice cream cone I had picked up from the lobby, it's quite possible the wind would have blown my ice cream not only on to my neighbor's deck, but quite possibly my neighbor. Should I have found myself in that situation, I would have been concerned. But it's February, and quite cold at Cannon Beach. So even though I was foolish enough to spend time on my deck, my neighbor never came out on their side of the 2x4, knee high partition. Plus, it being cold, I didn't have the ice cream the lobby offered, I took the cookie. Several crises averted, thus-cool trip.

2. The walls in economy housing are very thin. We never heard our neighbors speaking in their rooms, but we could hear them clear as day outside our front door. We also heard bed squeaking from our neighbors room above us. Thankfully for us, each bed squeaking occurrence never lasted that long. Our condolences to the woman involved in the each bed squeaking occurrence. But we appreciated them keeping it under 30 seconds though.

The two above mentioned things might have ruined this trip for us. But we have to admit, the Surfsand amenities and staff were so wonderful that we have already talked of coming back sometime soon. However, we will probably dig a little deeper in the pocket book and splurge for... thicker walls elsewhere on the campus.

We love you Surfsand. We plan to see you again soon. Neighbors upstairs, we hope to never meet you face to face, because it is a straight face that we know could not keep. But keep plugging away, we know you'll get there someday.

8 Thank Nick-Stephanie M
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this review, 2 December 2015
Thank you for spending your vacation at the Surfsand. We hope to have you back.

Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We went to the Surfsand for our 5 year anniversary. I choose it because it was a pet friendly hotel that still had the huge bathtub that we were hoping for. Our room was amazing. The huge bathtub (definitely fits 2 big people), a separate shower, a fireplace right in the bedroom, and a balcony that overlooked the water (we had a partial view). I'm pretty sure my husband's favorite part was the extra tv in the bathroom.

They welcomed our doggie and even had her name on a welcome sign when we checked in. It was so sweet. They also gave us a welcome pack for her with treats and doggie bags, etc. They had a blanket, bowls and placement all for her waiting in our room. I think that was the most any hotel / resort has ever done for our dog. We also really appreciated the outdoor shower for her after going to the beach.

We ordered room service for breakfast and it was one of the most delicious breakfasts that we ever had and it was reasonably priced.

They do have a good size pool and a sauna but we spent so much time in our room we didn't manage to find the time for swimming.

All in all it was a very romantic weekend and we would definitely stay their again.

Room Tip: We had a partial view and it was pretty nice but surrounded by parking lots on both sides. Our room...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stargirl2254
We're glad your vacation at the Surfsand went well. We hope to see you again.

Eugene
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

They treat you like royalty. This is such a relaxing place to stay. We just park our car and walk every where we want to go. Cannon Beach is always our first choice, when we head to the beach on the Oregon Coast.
Bob and Suzanne

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzannesh
Thank you for spending your vacation at the Surfsand. We hope to have you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was our first time at the Surfsand Resort. Check in was very nice, the cookies are appreciated! The room was very nicely decorated. It felt narrow because the hallway was a little tight, for a suite I expect a bit more room, but it was comfortable. The bathtub was a HUGE two person soaker tub. Can you tell that was my favorite part? The service was wonderful and the beach was easy to get to for a long walk.
It would have been an excellent stay if not for the people with the kids and the lady pacing in high heels in the room above us. It sounded like the kids were practicing Zumba or something, lots of bouncing and running. And the lady finally took her heels off to thump all night like she was doing laps - she finally stopped around 11. Remember, your floor may be someone else's ceiling.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
1 Thank GWMarcia
We're glad to hear you enjoyed the room and its amenities. We hope you will return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannon Beach
Ecola Creek Lodge
#12 of 14 in Cannon Beach
12.2 km away
BEST WESTERN Ocean View Resort

Been to Surfsand Resort? Share your experiences!