“Beware: Not as advertised”
Review of Geiser Grand Hotel

Geiser Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
Reviewed 11 September 2017

Website description of the 4-Poster rooms:
"Five windows each ten feet tall afford breathtaking views of the Eagle Cap Wilderness area of the Wallowa Mountains, as well as the Blue Mountains on the other side of the Baker valley. . . Guests have exclaimed 'It's like being in an airplane'!"

The hyperbole is outrageous, it's not true. The first room they gave us had one window; the view was of a roof and the side of another building (yes, it was a 4-Poster room).

The second room was almost what I had booked -- spacious, 4 (not 5) 10-foot-tall windows, a lovely room. But where were those "breathtaking views" of the Eagle Cap and Blues that I paid a lot extra for and specified when I booked direct with the hotel? Must be that 3-inch-wide spot between the trees over there. Otherwise, the view is of a parking lot and car dealership, or US Bank (1970s architecture).

In fairness, there also was a lovely Victorian house in the view, an excellent shower, and the prime rib dinner in the dining room was good. But I would never have booked this very expensive room if I had known the truth about the non-existent "breathtaking views" that were to be a capper for our scenic tour of NE Oregon/Hell's Canyon.

I hadn't yet had a chance to post the above review when the lady in charge of guest services (something like that) called me. We were on the road. She started by saying how sorry she was that I was unhappy with the room. I said the room was very nice, but I was unhappy to have paid a premium for an amenity that wasn't there. She argued that I got that amenity, and I said I didn't, there was no "breathtaking view" of the mountains. I suggested she read the website description of the 4-Poster rooms. She said the description was accurate. She said we couldn't see the view "because we've had a lot of smoke lately." I said, No, the views from elsewhere on that block and around town were fantastic, just not from the room, as advertised. She then insulted me by saying everyone's perceptions are different. She implied I must be nuts to think there wasn't a "breathtaking view"! I mentioned the part about "seems like we're flying" and she said That's right, other people, everyone else, does find the view from the 4-Poster rooms to be "breathtaking." I ended the conversation then as it was pointless.

I suggest, if you are thinking of booking at the Geiser Grand, you read the 1- and 2-star reviews. There are a lot of disgruntled people, like myself, who have had bad experiences there. Mainly "not as advertised" or issues with cancellations. Which reminds me: I wanted to use a different credit card when we checked in but they said I couldn't, they had already run the charge when I booked several weeks ago. I thought, hm, that's odd, but merely shrugged. It is unusual, and according to many others, the sale was final, period.

Room Tip: Better service and value at the Best Western
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Very interesting old hotel that has been updated with all the modern ammenities modern travelers expect. The dining room is elegant; the food and servers were very good. The lounge was open and airy with a good selection of alcohol.

Room Tip: The King suites have a very unique room layout.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Beautiful historic hotel in Baker City. Disappointed in room condition. Bathroom sorely lacked towel racks and any luxury feel. Mattress didn't have a mattress pad which was on especially when the smallish sheets came off and there is the mattress. Fire alarms going off one of the evenings we were there. Had "help" with baggage but the person just stood there guarding the rack - think they may have pulled her from the kitchen. Sad - but would not stay there again.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel is great place to stay and they have great service and clean comfortable room and the elevator is very nice and they have great food to eat in breakfast lunch and dinner I highly recommend this hotel I give this hotel 5 stars

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Nicely restored historic hotel. We'd have enjoyed staying there, but there was no room. However, dinner was a truly pleasing experience. The service was impeccable, and the food, delicious, and moderately priced. The decor is lovely, vintage, and makes you feel like you've gone back to a more gracious time.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple