All reviews dining room stained glass ceiling high ceilings cupola suite restored hotel third floor lobster tall windows turn of the century step back in time historic building foot ceilings gift shop corner room the palm court hotel tour four poster bed
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Nicely restored historic hotel. We'd have enjoyed staying there, but there was no room. However, dinner was a truly pleasing experience. The service was impeccable, and the food, delicious, and moderately priced. The decor is lovely, vintage, and makes you feel like you've gone back to a more gracious time.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GeiserGrand, Manager at Geiser Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Built originally in 1889 during the gold rush this hotel has great history and housed the cast of "Paint Your Wagon" before closing. The hotel was restored and reopened in 1993 but the restoration was sloppy in close inspection. Hardly worth the $400/night we paid. I expected a complimentary breakfast...routine in most hotels today....but the breakfast was not included. The ambiance was nice but lost a little when the front desk was 'cluttered' with cheap souvenir items. If you're a history enthusiast your may be able to justify a stay. No hooks in the bath for towels or robes and the hot water faucet had obviously been dysfunctional for sometime. Also no fridge or drinks/snacks available in the room. Front desk was polite but not overly friendly.

Room tip: Sound carries so choose the top floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GeiserGrand, Manager at Geiser Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2018

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback as it helps us to improve for future stays! We strive to find the balance between the historic integrity of the hotel and modern amenities our guests desire. Our rates range from $109-$299 depending on the room style and time of year; the only way a guest could pay more is if they were lured to some website that marked up our rates fiercely. We do all we can to guide guests to call us directly, 541 523 1889, where the lowest rates are always found. We do not offer any free food, and have never offered or promoted such. Frig and microwave are available on request. We are proud of our Western Heritage Gift shop showcasing handmade, local artesian and high quality items like Pendleton; it is indeed located in the lobby; sorry that you found it to be a cluttering effect! The restoration of this landmark has won multiple awards for excellence in historic preservation. A multimillion dollar investment into new furnishings and a new wing (now under construction), will add another elevator and more amenities.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Geyser hotel is clean, well appointed, and has good food. The hotel has been completely redone and done well. It is in the old town of Baker City which is nice but absolutely dead in the evenings which was fine for us (we are old folks). The food is great in the restaurant of the hotel for reasonable prices, and the bar has some pretty good beer although there is more selection just two blocks away at Barley Browns Pub. The only thing missing is a morning espresso which is my wife favorite.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

I booked one night August 5th to surprise my wife for our anniversary. I had asked for a rose a bottle of champagne and a box of chocolates of which I paid $100 dollars for, expecting more like 50-60$ one rose cost me 10$. None of it was ready when we got there.

The room advertised luxurious bathroom. It was not luxurious I expected a soaking tub for my wife, didnt get one, a shower and tub combination. The windows were tall and high ceilings, aside from that not much to the room. The champagne was dry and cheap also.

We booked a carriage ride for 7PM, granted the gentleman broke wheel on his carriage and couldnt get one, did they offer a replacement activity? Nope, nothing. We tried the restaurant, good, but not great.

Then comes Sunday when I thought 169 covered most of it, nope 268 with the 100$ for a cheap bottle of champagne, some chocolates and that flower. That wasnt it, Monday I saw my bill for 189$. No where did I sign a bill for 189$, I paid 169$ months in advance, signed a 258 on Sunday and now I am overcharged for 358, for an adequate, but not nice room, adequate, but not great service, and now 358$ bill, from the hotel clerk who I dont think really cares. Gentleman if you want a romantic trip for your wife, dont stay the Geiser. Its not worth it. I felt better taken care of at many franchise hotels.

4  Thank koenigchad
GeiserGrand, Manager at Geiser Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

We regret that you were dissatisfied with your choice of suite. Our Cupola Suite is in fact the only room that has a Jacuzzi tub; we try to be clear about that at every opportunity. We have several unique suite styles; guests have a wide variety of preferences. That's why it's we always try to actually show all arriving guests their rooms prior to check in, with options, so they are satisfied with their choice and price. This guest declined that option. The restaurant kitchen serves locally sourced, from scratch food, and the management and servers are committed to providing the best dining and hotel experience. For guest convenience we can set up carriage rides, however these are private companies and the hotel has no control if they do not wish to offer a ride at any particular time, for any reason. This guest was never charged for the carriage ride that didn't happen. All rates and charges are carefully reviewed by staff prior to posting; no charges are applied to a guest without their signatures or consent.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

The Geiser was one of the best lodging/eating experiences we had on our 9 day trip. The evening meal was excellent and the mother of the owners gave a great historic tour of the hotel. It is an 1889 restored hotel restored to its original splendor. I would stay here again. Gourmet dining.

Room tip: Spend more than one night.
Date of stay: June 2017