“History at a price”
Review of Geiser Grand Hotel

Geiser Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Built originally in 1889 during the gold rush this hotel has great history and housed the cast of "Paint Your Wagon" before closing. The hotel was restored and reopened in 1993 but the restoration was sloppy in close inspection. Hardly worth the $400/night we paid. I expected a complimentary breakfast...routine in most hotels today....but the breakfast was not included. The ambiance was nice but lost a little when the front desk was 'cluttered' with cheap souvenir items. If you're a history enthusiast your may be able to justify a stay. No hooks in the bath for towels or robes and the hot water faucet had obviously been dysfunctional for sometime. Also no fridge or drinks/snacks available in the room. Front desk was polite but not overly friendly.

Room Tip: Sound carries so choose the top floor.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Geyser hotel is clean, well appointed, and has good food. The hotel has been completely redone and done well. It is in the old town of Baker City which is nice but absolutely dead in the evenings which was fine for us (we are old folks). The food is great in the restaurant of the hotel for reasonable prices, and the bar has some pretty good beer although there is more selection just two blocks away at Barley Browns Pub. The only thing missing is a morning espresso which is my wife favorite.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

I booked one night August 5th to surprise my wife for our anniversary. I had asked for a rose a bottle of champagne and a box of chocolates of which I paid $100 dollars for, expecting more like 50-60$ one rose cost me 10$. None of it was ready when we got there.

The room advertised luxurious bathroom. It was not luxurious I expected a soaking tub for my wife, didnt get one, a shower and tub combination. The windows were tall and high ceilings, aside from that not much to the room. The champagne was dry and cheap also.

We booked a carriage ride for 7PM, granted the gentleman broke wheel on his carriage and couldnt get one, did they offer a replacement activity? Nope, nothing. We tried the restaurant, good, but not great.

Then comes Sunday when I thought 169 covered most of it, nope 268 with the 100$ for a cheap bottle of champagne, some chocolates and that flower. That wasnt it, Monday I saw my bill for 189$. No where did I sign a bill for 189$, I paid 169$ months in advance, signed a 258 on Sunday and now I am overcharged for 358, for an adequate, but not nice room, adequate, but not great service, and now 358$ bill, from the hotel clerk who I dont think really cares. Gentleman if you want a romantic trip for your wife, dont stay the Geiser. Its not worth it. I felt better taken care of at many franchise hotels.

2  Thank koenigchad
Reviewed 25 July 2017

The Geiser was one of the best lodging/eating experiences we had on our 9 day trip. The evening meal was excellent and the mother of the owners gave a great historic tour of the hotel. It is an 1889 restored hotel restored to its original splendor. I would stay here again. Gourmet dining.

Room Tip: Spend more than one night.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2017

We had a wonderful stay at this 19th century hotel. Don't let the age fool you, this place has an abundance of quality character and atmosphere that will take you back more than a hundred years, but provides many modern features. The staff was very friendly and professional. The formal style dining room has a stained glass ceiling and is open to visitors with casual dress attire. The bar is well stocked and offers a generous happy hour menu, a café style menu and a full dinner menu. 95 plus degree days and we were very comfortable inside. I would have given 5 stars if more restroom options were available on the main floor (possible solved when the wing remodeling is complete), and in room mini refrigerators added to keep the wonderful leftover food chilled. Thank you for MORE than we expected!

Room Tip: Just ask and they will provide a tour of the rooms and some history on the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family