“Run”
Review of Tulsa Inn & Suites

Tulsa Inn & Suites
Ranked #99 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

I had a roach climb across my laptop while I was watching YouTube on it, in the bed, right next to my face. I seriously have trouble sleeping knowing there may be bugs climbing on me. It's just a terrible mess with non American owners.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Word of caution: This place is ALWAYS in our local news for nefarious activities such as prostitution, drugs, robbery, etc. From meth manufacturing and murder to parking lot muggings and child prostitution this place has it all.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laura B
Reviewed 15 July 2016

I contracted pink eye from this "clean" room and wonder if they even clean the bedding between customers. People are living here and exhibit drug addict behavior. The soda machine took my dollar and when I advised the manager, he said "I don't have a key to the machine" REALLY?? Whatever. If it hadn't been so late and we were so tired, we would have left (I wish I had) Avoid this motel at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2016 via mobile

It's an average place nothing fancy. Not enough pillows or towels for the two of us but for one person I guess there is enough. Light bulb burned out in one of the lamps, tv old one but it works. No closet or exhaust for bathroom. Soap and such was very cheap, glad I brought my own. But I guess you get what you pay for !!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2015

To assist readers, I break down my hotel reviews into different categories. I rate each on a scale of 1 to 5. Hope it helps.

Customer Service: 5/5

Yes, It started off well! I rang the bell around midnight. The clerk unlocked the door and welcomed me with a big smile that told me either she was used to late night check-ins or she was happy to have any guests at all. She gave me the room options, took my info, and took time to show my room on a map. After she ran my card, she said, “If anything’s not in order, I can switch you to another room or give you a refund.” Not encouraging, but strangely reassuring. And she was super friendly and upbeat.

Appearance: 2.5/5

And... hello reality.

First of all, the motel and lobby have sort of a weathered adobe thing going on; it reminded me of lodging I once had in Juarez, Mexico. That’s not a bad thing.

The front door to my room was touched up with a conspicuous splotch of unmatching red paint, and it was a little dented in. Let’s be real, this hotel advertises rooms for $37.95; it would have been weird if were in pristine condition. I would describe my first whiff inside as garden variety cheap motel must. The carpeting, though frayed at the edge of the bathroom, was unstained and surprisingly presentable. The furniture hailed from, I suppose, the 1980s – tired but not an eyesore. Well, except for the “lounge chair” which had water stains from the 1980s.

Aside from the normal knicks, chips and gashes, a few interesting wall discoveries: a lipstick stain, lots of spackle over wallpaper, and the Spanish word “CERRAR” (translation: to close) scrawled out in marker on the front door. I’m not sure I needed that last bit of guidance, but it struck me that it could’ve been a warning.

Functions, Access, Noise: 3.5/5

Stuff worked. The wifi was strong. All light bulbs and shades were accounted for. The room was actually pretty bright with all fixtures turned on. The old school tube unit TV had a decent picture and came with a remote that offered a channel guide. (Interesting note: Stamped on the side of the TV were the words “Property of Super 8 Motel.” Naturally, I will report this theft to the proper authorities.) Fridge and microwave seemed functional. Not many wall outlets but enough. Even the AC unit, which appeared to have fallen victim to an anvil dropping incident, cooled the room to my liking.

This motel doesn’t have an elevator, but I was on the first floor with plenty of parking outside my door.

Access is normally a nice thing, but sometimes it is bad, as in the dude in the next room having access to yours through adjoining rooms. At one point, my neighbor knocked on my front door. It went like this:

“Hey. I’m in the next room. I got my door locked. You got yours locked?”

“Oh don’t you worry, I’ll make sure of it.”

The deadbolt on this connecting door was not very reassuring given the ten inch gouge ripped through the cheap PVC door front. While I could hear murmurs through the wall at times, it didn’t keep me awake. That’s what my horrible mattress was for.

Sleep Quality: 1.5/5

Curious thing about the bed presentation. The pillows were stood up against each other like a pillowy tent. For a little pizzazz? Perhaps. OR... the pillows also hate lying flat on this mattress. We’re in agreement, pillows. My name for this mattress was Lumpy Lumperson. In spite of needing liposuction, Lumpy’s core was reasonably firm. Hard to explain. And I hate to betray the pillows but they had all the loft of graham crackers.

In the bed’s defense, the linens were clean and softer than I expected.

Bath: 2/5

The lowlights: chipped ceiling paint, rusted air vent, shadowy film on the shower walls, bare minimum water pressure, absolutely filthy door, non-working heat lamp and knob, and very sad bath towels. Indeed, the bath towels looked limp and depressed, like they’ve been overused for decades and were begging for a merciful incineration after their many years of service.

What I can say for this bathroom is that, aside from the bathroom door (basically, an elongated petri dish covered in bacteria), it was reasonably clean. Yes, poorly maintained but I have seen worse.

Extras: 3/5

Meh. I don’t expect extras at a place like this. They offered bagels and coffee in the morning. There are vending machines in the lobby. It has a pool. It offers what you would expect. It’s also a short drive to fast food joints, or to alternate hotels.

Value: 3/5

This may seem high, but I’m judging this place against its competition – other no-frills, outdoor stairwell properties. My room was $42 + tax, and it was clean-ish. If you need a cheap place to flop, it’s under fifty bucks. I can’t speak about other rooms, but mine was not a hall of fame sleaze-fest. I am not proud to say I know the difference. If I slept better here, I could hang in for a couple nights. How’s that for an endorsement?

Total score: 20.5/35