“Fishing romp through the woods.”
Review of Mohawk Park

Mohawk Park
Ranked #30 of 128 things to do in Tulsa
Reviewed 14 September 2016

As a dad I don't get a lot of 'me' time. I had two hours to blow before I had to pick up my kids. What to do? That isn't enough time to drive out to the lake so I looked up a place close to home. Mohawk Park is always interesting. Trails and ponds. It was late summer and the Bluegill fishing was my only afternoon fishing option. So I picked a trail that followed down a creek. I grabbed up my fly rod and snatched up some grasshoppers.
Fly rods are fun for Bluegill. You don't need a fly or anything fancy. A grasshopper, cricket or small worm is very effective. In fact I've caught several frisky bass using this method. Simply tie on a leader and hook a bug on then flip that sucker next to a low tree branch or some deep weeds.
One drawback of Mohawk is it's depth and oxygen content. (Also the deer ticks) While it has deep holes, they don't produce any better than the shallows.
A few unexpected treats*** I very large catfish snapped my line. Would have been nice catching him but hey? Also, the deer just walk around you. Which is neat.
A few things to watch out for. Poison ivy is controlled in major traffic areas but... Just watch out. I stepped through some brush that had some ticks. No big deal. Finally, fly rod... While the length was good to reach out and catch a fish. Had to remain mindful of all the jungle vines hanging down. And of course I ran out of grasshoppers but I didn't have to look far. I prefer grasshoppers to crickets because they disturb the water better. Drives the fish crazy.
I wouldn't recommend this kind hiking/fishing with small kids. They will get hung up a lot and kids find poison ivy attractive. With that said, there are plenty of kid friendly spots in Mohawk. Two ponds and a big creek by the zoo. My kids like the creek by the zoo. Lots of fish and turtles and birds and such...
All in all a great urban retreat from the hustle.

All reviews
"grilling"
"woods"
"land"

Reviewed 3 September 2016

The facilities are a little worn and they will charge you to enter when the zoo is open from spring to fall but if you can beat the zoo friends to the park then it is nice and fun for the family. Huge park!

Reviewed 11 August 2016

The zoo is a must for any family. Plan about 2 hours to take in all the attractions. Make certain you purchase the train pass. However, once your get off, you will have to purchase another ticket to get back on.

Reviewed 23 July 2016

Beautiful grass soccer fields. They need restroom facilities. Only provided portable bath rooms. More food and beverage options for visitors would be nice.