“New Owner, No longer called Dexter's”

Dexter's Jamaican Restaurant
Ranked #269 of 766 Restaurants in Toledo
Cuisines: Jamaican
Description: 419-472-2512. It's listed in the AT&T Yellow Pages
Description: 419-472-2512. It's listed in the AT&T Yellow Pages
Reviewed 27 August 2015

I have been to Dexter's a handful of times. The food was always delicious, well priced and on time. The last visit was a train wreck disaster. Before I begin I would just like to Praise whatever power allowed me to keep my cool the entire duration of our visit. We arrived at 8:30 pm, we waited our turn to order, the woman at the counter was obviously new and flustered but she took our order(they were out of quite a few things) and I sat down. After sitting for about 3 minutes, they tried to give me someone elses food, and I told them "that's not my order". Almost an hour later the woman who took my order came up to me and asked, "did you finish placing your order?" holding the order pad in her hand. She proceeded to tell me that she didn't give it to the kitchen because she didn't know I was done placing my order. I was so shocked by her question, my anger malfunctioned and I just said "yes, I was done placing my order".
At some point in all of this a friendly Jamaican man named Dexter introduced himself and attempted to explain the confusion. He sold the place 2 years ago and was there that night helping the new owner and his inexperienced even-newer staff.
My mother asked me to write down our order on a piece of paper and total it up just in case they wanted to charge us wrong. She has a 6'th sense about these things. I wrote down the order on a piece of paper and added up the bill. Thirty minutes after the woman supposedly put the order in to the kitchen, Dexter approached me with another man, whom I later found out was from the kitchen, and asked what we ordered. I showed him my paper with 2 orders of fried chicken, 1 curry goat,1 curry chicken , and 2 orders of festival. The man from the kitchen asked if he could take the paper and I should have just said, “no more, this is beyond ridiculous, get it from the girl that took my order” It was past 10pm. Anger malfunction again, I said yes. Obviously the girl never gave it to him. 20 minutes later I see the guy from the kitchen whispering to Dexter and Dexter comes over to us and says no festival, and I said ok, and he sort of looked at me like I know you have been here a long time, his eyes almost invited me to leave but I repeated, It's okay.
Dexter sat down and said he was going to leave but he would wait until we got our food, they were just dropping the fried chicken at that moment. How nice of him to do that for us, because it was way beyond the timeframe of reasonable service. He walked away and I re-wrote our order and totaled it again.
Dexter came back and said, “I was going to wait for you to get your order but I just found out that they had to go out to the store and get the fried chicken spices so it’s going to take longer than I expected, so I have to leave”. There is only so much Dexter can do to save the sinking ship—he is no longer captain. I thanked him for mediating between the kitchen and customer and say goodbye to him. After he left, the food came in about 40 minutes.
Went up to the counter, had my credit card in hand, expected a bill of $39.00 or $38.96 if they used the menu price. The woman tells me it’s $41 and when I said, “no, it’s not,” the guy from the kitchen was there to quickly jump in and explain, “It’s only a few pennies off because we round $8.99 to $9, it’s only a few pennies off”. They even showed me 41 on their calculator. I turned to my mother who was still sitting and whisper loudly, “they’re trying to overcharge us” and I was giving her a quizzical look like, “how in the world did you know they were going to try this!?” After seeing that the girl at the counter does know how to use a calculator, the bill came to $38.96. I put my credit card away because at some point people become too inept and too untrustworthy to handle personal information. Paid with cash. She didn’t want to give me my pennies even though she put $38.96 into her cash register. Clearly they stop caring how off the till is when they are getting an extra $2-3 on every order.
I neglected to mention that when we were waiting in line to order, there was a woman receiving her food who had the angriest sound in her voice and was treating the staff like garbage. They tried to give her the wrong food that had been sitting on the rack since before she got there instead of the one that was made for her order, and she just gave them 100% of her mind in a very angry fashion. I now realize that I was just coming in on the tail end of her experience and there is no way that was the first mistake that was made. I judged her at first for losing her cool, but now I realize she was totally entitled to stomping her feet and screaming.
There are so many things wrong with the way this place is run that I can’t see how it will continue to stay in business. The extra dot (instead of one) is because the food is actually good, although I should take it back because half the stuff on the menu isn't available.
My advice is, arrive around 2:30-3:00 pm and you may have your food by dinner.

Reviewed 9 August 2015 via mobile

My son requested this restaurant for his 19th birthday dinner. This was the first time either of us tried Jamaican food. We ordered curry chicken, jerk chicken & an appetizer (fried shrimp, festival & plantain)The food was excellent! We will definitely be visiting here again.

Reviewed 3 October 2014

I am over from the UK for a couple of months to try out Ohio before moving here and one of the things I wanted to seek out was some authentic Jamaican food. Being of Jamaican decent, I looked on trip advisor for help finding a place to eat and the first thing I noticed is there is very very few options. I actually only found 2 in Toledo and the surrounding areas and opted for this one purely as it was on Trip Advisor but wary there were no photos and only 3 reviews.

Well, firstly, as someone said it's not in the beat of areas and for some they may find this quite intimidating. I don't mind the area too much, the intimidating part for me was that after doing 2 laps of the block to find it as the signage is poor and very little parking - it also had no windows to see in and the door to get in is equally daunting with no glass to peer in and check if it was busy etc or even see a menu before entering.

It is not anything flash by any means. There is a bar to the right on entering which seemed to be keeping a group of men entertained and a small counter to the back with a few tables. It was busier than we expected but not many people eating at the time we arrived, which was 8.30pm.

After being stared at by all on entry, we decided to eat there despite our reservations and lack lustre decor.

I specifically wanted to write this review as this is why I am so frustrated. The food, after playing a game of 'we've ran out of that' and having to go for 'well what HAVE you got' was actually really good. Not quite enough chicken, a small leg and a thigh but plenty of the 2 sides of which I had rice & peas and cabbage.

I had the curried chicken as they had no curried goat, no beef patties, no stew chicken...at this point we gave up and asked what was left. Then for the drinks, no diet coke, no ginger beer, no pinapple soda (on the menu)...opted for Sprite.

I am frustrated because restaurants like this don't know how good they could be with a niche cuisine. It almost needs a Gordon Ramsey overhall as it has so much potential. They need to get a more prominent sign to the front and do something about the parking (very high kerb and 3 spaces on the front and a VERY narrow side parking which our car was too large to tackle). They need to make it more accessible and open up the front to see in so it isn't intimidating for potential new customers as we were. The staff were present, but not very enthusiastic seemingly resigned to the fact there were few dishes left or with a long wait of 'at least 25 minutes'. It could be much more welcoming with a bit more decor and laid tables. Traditional condiments like hot sauce available.

This being said, the food was great and I would definatley come back but probably ring ahead to check they have the dishes in and based on the dining in experience I may opt for take out as I was put about by being stared at despite being with my partner.

I was going to take away some beef patties, a staple jamaican item, but again, non left and told these were not home made anyway. What a real shame this is hidden away and just another 'hole in the wall' if you drive by to miss.

Inspired, I have come home and cooked the Stew Chicken I was craving that they didnt have as well as a Rum cake...something else I'd love to see on the menu here.

I think this place is probably very busy with local regulars who know it's there but I'd encourage anyone new to Jamaican food or seeking it out to give it a try.

Reviewed 25 September 2014

We were at Dexter's earlier this month. Great food with atmosphere of the tropics. I like their jerk chicken, jasmine rice, Red Stripe Beer. It could only be better if I was on the beach in Negril!

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

What value for excellent taste!! Jerk chicken, cabbage and plaintains had the spice that reminded me of my Ocho Rios vacation. Flavorful, reasonably priced, nice portion size and I will definitely return!!

2  Thank MzNell

Been to Dexter's Jamaican Restaurant? Share your experiences!