“Nice hotel in a bad location”

Courtyard Springfield Downtown
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Springfield
SoNE
“Nice hotel in a bad location”
Reviewed 22 March 2011

First let me start off by saying the hotel looks newer, is clean, and is everything I look for in Courtyard-type price point. They have a nice big parking lot and it is easy to find. The staff was nice (even though they screwed up my bill) and friendly. The room was typical for a renovated Courtyard.

The negatives have more to do with Springfield than the hotel. First, dining options are poor within walking distance so I was stuck eating at the overpriced hotel restaurant. Mediocre food for a high price. A Courtyard in Springfield has no business charging $30/plate for a steak. Those are big city hotel prices. Breakfast, unlike most other Courtyards, is only available at the overpriced restaurant. There is a coffee shop across the street that didn't serve food so I went without.

Another downfall is the train tracks running next to the hotel. They are kind enough to supply you with ear plugs but sorry, I can't sleep in ear plugs. Once a night the screeching sound of the train would wake me up.

With all of that said, I would stay here again but I would make sure to eat elsewhere before heading back to my hotel, as well as packing a granola bar for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Springfield Downtown, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear Buggery,

Thanks very much for taking the time to review our hotel; we appreciate your comments and recommendation! I regret that you didn’t enjoy your dining experience with us, and thank you for your plans to return in the future. I truly wish we had control over the noise the train causes and do apologize that it kept you from a good night’s sleep.

Yours truly,

Becky Krieger, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We were married on Labor Day Weekend, 2010. We were married in historic downtown Springfield, so The Courtyard was naturally our first recommendation for extended family traveling from out of town. The hotel was bustling with the many weddings happening that weekend, but they treated us like we were the only couple staying there when we arrived!

My husband arrived early in the day to get dressed for the ceremony and noticed that the room wasn't very clean. It wasn't dirty, there was just a few things that the maid had missed and my husband simply mentioned it at the front desk, and asked if they could be fixed before his bride arrived that evening. They IMMEDIATELY upgraded us to a bigger, better room, despite how busy they were that weekend. This was so appreciated!

The hotel itself is the nicest in Springfield. The staff was very courteous and our whole family enjoyed their stay so much that they stayed for the entire weekend. The views from our rooms were beautiful, and a little street fair was happening during our stay. The hotel is also convenient to several antique malls in the area and our family enjoyed visiting them.

Great hotel, easy parking, beautiful views of historic downtown... It's a great place to stay if you're in town to go antiquing, if you're on business, visiting Wittenberg, enjoying a show at the Kuss Auditorium, getting married, or just touring the Frank Lloyd Wright Westcott House! Springfield has a lot to offer!

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank River W
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I book rooms for a small college athletic department and I sent a team to Springfield to play at Wittenberg. The property was actually reserved by the host so thankfully I didn't have to go through the searching process. But I did work with the group sales manager, Jennifer, who was wonderful! She worked hard to accommodate our large group on a busy weekend in the Columbus area.

Normally when I book rooms for our large groups, I specifically look for places that have at least a continental breakfast included to help with our costs. I do know, though, the companies who don't normally do this so I was aware of this going in to this groups stay. When I asked our assistant coach for her opinion on this property, this was her response:

"The Courtyard Marriott in Springfield was great, nice rooms and good location. The room rate was cheap too, but did not included breakfast. One day we bought the breakfast buffet, had a TERRIBLE server, and she charged us 18% gratuity for her grumpiness. The next day the guy was great, only charged us for 2/3 of the people who ate, and did not add gratuity. So its a give-and-take I guess!"

I would definitely keep the Courtyard on my list of properties to stay at when I send teams back to Springfield however, if they worked in a breakfast deal for large groups, I would put them at the top.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jodieb23
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Last visit was May, 2009. What a difference a year makes...In the past always enjoyed this hotel and gave a positive review. This visit was told the hotel was at 100% capacity and assumed it was due to the Antique and Flea Market extravaganza.

We didn't get the "antique special rate" as advertised on the Springfield Flea Market and Antique website. Was told the block of rooms set aside for this had already been sold by the time I booked (which I believe was either January or February for a room in May.) At the time I made the reservations and was asking for a specific room received a curt response to my request. I was made to feel that I should be glad I got a room in the hotel at all as they were completely booked. Paying $144/night I didn't feel 1 request was too much.

We were quickly and pleasantly received and given room 414. Although not the room I had hoped for decided to give it a chance. This was a handicapped room so you would think it may be more spacious - not so. It was a 1-person room, very small and crowded. We were surprised at the size of the 1 bed and never did figure out if it was a full or the smallest queen bed we had ever been in. The bed itself was comfortable with the exception of the fitted sheet that kept coming loose.

The bathroom sink/vanity was tiny. They put the coffee maker in the corner and the tray it was on hung over part of the sink. You were constantly shuffling cosmetics on the vanity top trying to find a place for everything. Not each time, but I would say 1out of 3 times, when you flushed the toilet it sounded like a 747 taking off. Then of course there was the black mold in the bottom corner of the shower. Speaking of shower (and this is the 1st time I have had this happen at this hotel) there was barely any hot water. This happened both evenings around 8:30 p.m. during our stay. To put it into perspective I turned the handle to full hot not adding any cold water and found the water to be warm at best.

When we checked out mentioned the water issue. Was told she had heard that complaint before and it was probably lots of people taking a shower in the morning at the same time. When I said I was showering in the evening the hotel clerk had a surprised look. Used to get a complimentary USA Today each morning of your stay. Not quite sure what happened to that. Located a well read one in the hotel lobby once.

So, needless to say I am disappointed over how the hotel has changed in 1 year. Just made reservations for the September Antique and Flea Market show and decided to try the Comfort Suites this time.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Springfield Downtown, responded to this review, 8 June 2010
Thank you for your review; we’re as disappointed in your latest experience with our hotel as you are. The block for the Antique Show and Flea Market did fill quickly and we’re sorry you were unable to secure a reservation at the special rate. Marriott has discontinued the USA Today room delivery, and they’re now available solely in the lobby; we’re hoping they’ll bring this amenity back. As you mentioned, the hot water issue in the evening is unusual, and our Chief Engineer is now monitoring the temperature in the evening in order to diagnose the problem, thank you for taking the time to report it. Please accept our sincerest apologies both for the lukewarm showers and for the mold in the shower, which is also being addressed. It is our goal to provide 100% satisfaction to every guest, every time, and we truly regret failing you in that regard and really appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Please reconsider your upcoming reservation, we would greatly appreciate an opportunity to earn your business back!
SPRINGFIELD OHIO
Reviewed 30 October 2009

My wife & i have spent several nights here. BUT NO MORE! We've always stayed in the hot tub rooms. 1st time we got a bad rash! 2nd time we requested the tub be checked & cleaned! 3rd time the water had something floating in it after we filled it! (YUK!!) 4th time the front desk would not allow the pizza delivery man deliver to our room...we had to go to the lobby to get our food! And now the LAST time we were charged for a bottle of water in our room! NEVER SEEN THE WATER! NEVER DRANK IT! When i called the mgr. he checked the housekeeper records and said that my wife must have drank it! Its' not the $3 charge that bothered us but the mgr. unwillingness to help! I paid $179.00 for that room...they should have gave me a case of water! For this service at this price...I WILL NOT GO BACK! HELLO COLUMBUS! HELLO DAYTON! HELLO CINCINNATI!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple