All reviewsroom was cleanbreakfast barportsmouth areasausage pattiestv receptionwould stay againstaff was friendlylight sleeperlittle thingsthree nightswe've stayeddeskshawneerepairohiotubhallway
Reviewed 29 November 2017

We have stayed at this hotel location since it was the "Holiday Inn" there in Portsmouth. And have usually been happy with our stay. In this calendar year, it changed to the Quality Inn from Comfort Inn. We are now watching it quickly going down the slope of no return in the maintenance and upkeep departments. Their standard of care is no longer there. The bathroom tiles are screaming for replacement with so many broken & missing for one thing. The window curtains were literally shredded hanging on the window! We walked into a room that had to be over 90degrees. The heat about knocked us down when we opened the door! So if you're looking for cost-cutters in running your hotel, you might want to start with making a walk-thru to make sure none of your window heating/cooling units are set are a ridiculous temperature! The housekeeping staff may not remember that with all their duties, but should have that on their check-off list as they leave the rooms. It was late November when we stayed, but an exceptionally warm November day- so the excessive heat wasn't appropriate for the day at all. I know you need enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing and such, but the extreme hot temp was not necessary! The window unit was very loud, and had to be on a/c rather than heat to stand to stay in the room.

The room seemed to be cleaned well. So it's not the housekeeping staff slacking off. It's maintenance & general upkeep that were the main issues this stay. Even your parking lot is neglected. The far southeast end is crumbling! For liability if nothing else, why would you want to leave things undone & a risk for falls & such? The pipes and the fixtures in the bathroom are showing green on the outside of them & rust areas so the age is becoming an issue for sure. Are you waiting for them to burst before you do anything about it? I don't think the rooms have been repainted for a long time either. The walls need to be freshened up with new paint to cover the scuff & ding marks for sure. It would seem like you care about the property if that even was done. The carpet is still looking okay in most areas & seems clean for the amount of traffic across it. The bathroom door was hanging at an angle- where it had been taken off the hinges for some reason & now not hanging level at all. there was a triangle wedge of space at top & bottom where it's hanging crooked & it would not stay open on it's own because of it.

The man, 2 women at the front desk when we checked in also had a child there at that time. The child & all 3 of them would go behind the desk, with the child crying & nagging for what it wanting while our check-in process was going on. Distracting and not professional to say the least. Plus hours later when we went to desk to ask about the broken ice machine, they were all still at the desk doing their thing at the desk. But the man pulled himself away long enough to go back to the end of the hall to check the ice machine. He flipped a switch and said ice would be made in about 20 minutes...which that worked. But gee, could you do checks on things to be sure they are working to start with? Novel idea? In the vending room, the washer and the pop machine also had broken signs or signs of what kind of change it would accept on them. Give me a break! This hotel houses many contractor type workers that probably need to do their laundry & maybe want the pop and ice machines in working order! Is that too much to ask for the price of a room?

I sometimes use this pool for the relief of the water exercise on my weary traveling body. But seeing the maintenance issues, I doubted that the pool would've been given the proper attention either; so I chose not to take my chances on it! The Wi-Fi was laggy & slow until more people probably went to sleep I think. But I doubt the internet in that area anywhere is great. It's always a bit noisy outside due to a train-track across the road that is right next to the hotel. It's advertises "country view"...that's a stretch, It's off in the distance, if at all. But it's what exists in that area. Nothing can be done about that.

At breakfast, my husband went down earlier than me. At that time, they had no biscuits and gravy available. Later they had it. The girl was trying to stock it best she could at the later time I think. Things were not very warm though- so possibly checking the temps of the food that are in the warmers? The orange juice tasted like an orange watery mix, not juice. But the breakfast bar had a nice variety of cold & hot cereals available, much good fresh fruit, donuts, nice big muffins too, and the availability to make homemade hot waffles, and also premade scramble egg circles, sausage patties, biscuits from a bag, gravy. So if you hit it at the proper time, or ask; I'm sure you'll have a decent breakfast from what the girl is trying to keep on hand for the guests. I really can't complain about it.

The housekeeping staff & also the breakfast bar person were at the front entrance doing a smoke break as we were leaving- yep, right there in the front doorway under the carport where we had to walk thru their smoke. Nothing like getting a morning smoke, uh....especially when you don't smoke, and the smoke irritates your throat and breathing! Thanks for that staff! They have a picnic table and ashtray receptacles for them back at the back corner of the hotel- which is also in the path of a hotel door at the back hotel though! If they can't walk but a few steps out a door, then put them to the front of the hotel at the top of the hill around the right corner of the front door as you go out of the door! Then no one would really have to walk thru their smoke! Better yet....obey the state of Ohio laws and not allow smoking on property! I was confused with why you had to choose smoking or non-smoking rooms at this hotel too, when Ohio has the law that I thought prevented allowing smoking in buildings such as this? Traveling in Ohio, you no longer have to choose smoking or non-smoking in restaurants OR in the majority of hotels either- I think that is in the hotels that are obeying the law!? As a non-smoker, the smoking in the building DOES go thru the ventilation system and DOES have a trickle down effect even in a non-smoking room. And a non-smoker with breathing issues in that regard will notice it right away. Being considerate of that would be nice and oh yes, even obeying the law!

Well I just do not know if we'll actually be back to the Quality Inn at all. And that is sad- because we have used this facility for so many years! There are not a lot of good choices in Portsmouth. And the Choice Hotel chain had been our "go-to"....so may have to expand to the outlying towns to find suitable affordable room next time, unless the new renovations on the Super 8 will be done on the next trip down. Hopefully they'll have their act together by then? But if they do...Quality Inn, best step up their game & fix the issues, taking things seriously because that closed Super 8 right now is about the only reason you have a full parking lot right now! Wake up and smell the coffee or go out of business is my advice.

You have a potential good thing going here, if you care. The truth is in your actions about fixing the issues!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

We do apologize for your recent stay. We do have plans to make improvements after the 1st of the year and we hope that our guests will be impressed with the changes. We are in the state of Ohio and the state law allows us to have a portion of smoking rooms which is only 4 in our hotel. We have plans to become 100% non-smoking once we do the renovations. We do hope that you may give us another chance to prove we care about all our guests and their concerns. Thank you for your feedback to show where we need to make the improvements.

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

We stay here for the Labour Day long weekend to watch her daughter play soccer at Shawnee State. Hotel is just outside of Portsmouth but it's a small town so no big deal. Our room was nice and clean and what makes this hotel are the staff who were great.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Thank you for choosing us for your lodging needs. We are a small town and we are 5 miles from Shawnee State University. Our staff work hard at keeping a clean and comfortable hotel and are very proud of our work. We hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Friendly staff. Room was clean. Only issue I found was the bath tub was in dire need of replacement. It was caved in the middle and splitting. Not real bad but definitely needs replaced. I did not care for the television choices. It was cable and just did not have the choices I am used to with directv.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy summer schedule to allow other travelers to see your comments regarding our Quality Inn of Portsmouth Ohio. We realize that our travelers have other options to choose from in our area and we work hard at getting the property up date with a modern feel. We hope that we will see you again in the near future. Thank you again for choosing us for your lodging needs.

Reviewed 17 July 2017

We stayed at the Quality Inn while visiting my brother. The room was clean, but the beds were standard size. My grandson is 6'4" and he did not fit well in the standard size bed. The clerks were friendly and helpful. The breakfast had many choices and was well attended. In the afternoon you could smell cookies being made for the guests. The cookies were a nice touch. The pool area was clean, just wished there was a hot tub.

Room Tip: The East side faces the parking lot and is away from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank bjean1217
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

Thank you for your feedback on the Quality Inn of Portsmouth Ohio. We will be upgrading our bedding in the very near future to have Queen size beds, I'm not sure what the timeline will be. We are here to serve our guests and want them to feel we are here for them. We also want to remind our travelers that the month of August will kick off with the Roy Rogers Festival; followed by the 123rd County Fair; and ending the month will be the River Days Festival. Book soon as we are filling up fast. We hope to see you again really soon. Once again thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

My wife & I stayed here during a visit for our grandson's birthday. The family party was a last minute decision. And, the hotel we normally stay in was sold out. The room was comfortable and the breakfast was what you would expect in a chain hotel. Unfortunately, the room (233) had a slight smoke odor. We dropped our bags of early in the afternoon. When we returned around midnight, I noticed that the room map on the back of the door indicated this had previously been a smoking room. I don't know how long ago this wing of the hotel was changed to non-smoking. Apparently, the rooms still need some attention to the odor being neutralized.

Room Tip: If the smell of cigarette smoke bothers you, stay away from the rooms numbered from around 220 and above.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple