“Great food, service, and atmosphere!”
Review of Black Forest Cafe

Black Forest Cafe
Ranked #9 of 71 Restaurants in Oregon
Cuisines: German
Reviewed 20 July 2017

I read other reviews about service but I didn't let them stop me and I am glad I didn't! We had a great experience from the time we walked in until we left. The restaurant itself is rustic with heavy wood decorations, chairs and tables, appropriately decorated to make you feel all Germany. Our waitress and other staff were very attentive and friendly. They were knowledgeable about the menu items.

I drove the 2 hours having seen an article about it. I looked up their menu online and was intrigued by a pretzel to feed 4. Seeing not many vegetarian options I thought I was just going for the pretzel--I was pleasantly surprised to see a Vegetarian black bean burger on the actual menu! I was also happy to find out the spaetzle was not made in a chicken broth also making them vegetarian friendly!

The pretzel alone was worth the drive. Not only was it tasty but it was bigger than my head! It came with 3 dipping sides--but my preferred was the the ale cheddar. The black bean burger was not your run of the mill store bought kind--and it was delicious! It came with fries but I opted to have the spaetzle instead. They were a bit plain, but some salt and pepper made them perfect.

I found the portions of the sides more than worth the $3. They were huge! I also sampled the smashed red skin potatoes and found them to be super flavorful--a great choice! We ended our meal with both a carrot cake and black forest cake. The carrot cake was just as moist as the menu described. The black forest cake was also great--(I always worry about these cakes being dry--not a worry here!)

It definitely is worth a trip! But they are only open Monday-Friday so plan accordingly!

Date of visit: July 2017

Reviewed 14 July 2017

You must experience the Black Forest Cafe for yourself. This is a HIDDEN GEM in NW Ohio, it's worth the search. :)) trust me - we like it secret.
Michael Orlo Schultz

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 1 July 2017

A year ago, my husband and I patronized the Black Forest Cafe on a whim. We enjoyed sitting out of the patio, drinking fairly cheap imported German beer, and decent food. Tonight we decided to go back and bring a friend with us. To our utter embarrassment, the service was beyond terrible and the food was mediocre at best. It took our waitress 10-15 minutes to make an initial visit to our table--this was the first sign that things were not okay, and we probably should have just left at that time. But we stuck it out. Big mistake. We put in our drink orders. Another 15-20 minutes passed before we got our drinks. The waitress then took our order, which consisted of two appetizers and three entrees. About 20-25 minutes later, we still hadn't gotten our appetizers, and the waitress brought a new round of drinks we hadn't ordered, saying that the bar was backed up, and if she didn't bring them then, it might take forever to get them. So we didn't get the food we had ordered, but we did get drinks we DIDN'T order. After two talks with our waitress and two talks with the manager, we were finally served our meals and appetizers at the same time, approximately 1.5 hours after we were sat at our table. If the manager hadn't assured us that our food was 60 seconds away from coming to the table, we would have gotten up and left, which, incidentally, was what about three other tables had already gotten up and done while we were all waiting for our food. Honestly, we wish we would have joined them. Our entrees and appetizers all came out at the same time. They were mediocre at best and absolutely NOT worth waiting 1.5 hours. When we complained, the manager had the audacity to explain to us that it wasn't their fault--they were just dealing with a full restaurant and a large party in the banquet room. I politely told her that I refused to pay full price for the meal, and she took off 20%, which about covered our appetizers that we didn't eat. I don't run a restaurant, but as a customer, I believe that it's not my problem if you have a full house--the employees of the establishment are responsible for knowing how to deal with this. We paid our bill with the 20% off and left as quickly as we could, making a b-line to another restaurant where we knew we would get good drinks, dessert, and appropriate service. Very likely, we will NOT be returning. The only reason I give it two out of five stars is because our first visit was fairly pleasant. A quick glance at their Facebook page reveals that we are not the only people to have dealt with this issue. AVOID!

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 18 June 2017

We had no idea this café was so close. We often drive to Detroit for German food.
We have been there twice now, took another couple. They loved it also. Food is wonderful, décor is authentic. Fun place to go.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 24 May 2017

My mother and I had fun coming here. The décor was unique and the food was really good. The whole building made you feel like you were in a little German eatery, and you certainly didn't leave hungry! The menu has some great choices, so pick anything....you'll love it!

Date of visit: June 2016

Been to Black Forest Cafe? Share your experiences!