Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 April 2016

I thought our experience might have been out of the ordinary, since the family was experiencing some problems, but then I read the other reviews and decided to add my voice...it seems the problems are not new. Our room (the English Country room on the third floor) was not as clean as it should have been and the furniture was in need of repair. The house was lovely, but everything just looked tired and worn. The rooms on the second floor appeared to be in better condition.
Breakfast was only okay.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2015

It is a very old house and it is very interesting to look at. There are 4 rooms on the second floor and 2 rooms on the third floor. We had the English Room on the third floor and frankly it was not that nice. The carpet needs to be thrown out. I think that the rooms on the second floor are nicer. We stayed 3 nights and the last night the cooling system was not on. The room was uncomfortably hot. The breakfast was ok. The WiFi works on the first floor and is not password protected. Tom, the innkeeper, seemed pretty detached. So, all in all, don’t expect too much.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bourlingueur60
Reviewed 13 June 2015 via mobile

Staying in this B&B felt like traveling back in time to the Victorian age. Our room was very comfortable. Tom was a very gracious and accommodating host. We enjoyed evening coffee out on the sun porch and a lovely breakfast in the morning. Tom provided a place to store our bicycles out of the rain.

Date of stay: June 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2014

Staying at the Russel Cooper House was like making a trip thru time to an era when etiquette and good taste ruled the day. Like most historic BandB's, There are no phones or TVs in the room and the stairs creak in the most lovely way from the many souls who traveled them in the course of 185 years. Contrary to other reviews however, there was no dust, mold or mildew present on my stay..and I explored the entire house.
I stayed for 6 nights the last week of October. I was in town on business and since it was available, the owner was kind enough to allow me to meet with clients in the dining room at various times of the day. The dining room boasts a hand painted ceiling, an antique piano, 2 fireplaces. Lovely!
There were several days that were so busy for me that my breakfast had to last me till late into the evening, and it did.
Each day breakfast was a wonderful treat with fresh fruit juice served in a crystal goblet, fresh strawberries, a main entree which was different everyday, toast, turkey bacon, coffee or tea and polite conversation.
My room, the Oriental room, was comfortable with 2 beds...a queen and a single. There were plenty of towels, fresh each day. The shower had generous water pressure, which I did not expect from a BandB. The room also had a hair dryer, which I was thankful for.
I needed to make several special requests during my stay and I can tell you, The Innkeeper, Tom, makes it his business to be helpful and accomodating. I felt like I was staying with a wonderful relative. The housekeeping staff headed by Bertha was very friendly and helpful as well. I wanted for nothing.
All of my clients were locals of the area. They all had stories to tell of their connection to this grand old house and the wonderful times they had enjoyed there for parties and events over the years. As we parted ways on the front porch they would stand with me and marvel at the beautiful yellow autumn tree in the front yard and congratulate me on my fine choice of accommodations fondly called the Russel Cooper House.
I was very much at home in 1829, I miss it already and I will definitely stay there again.
I would wholeheartedly recommend it to any traveler coming to the Mt Vernon area.

Room tip: Each room is lovely, they really are. I was in the Oriental room, which has 2 beds (a Queen and single) For a romantic visit, I would probably request the Colonel's room.
Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Anna J
Reviewed 8 October 2014

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our two-night stay and would return. We did not encounter any of the cleanliness issues mentioned by others. The owner, Tom Dvorak, is extremely pleasant and provides a lot interesting information regarding the area and its history. We enjoyed Tom's breakfast's and found the location to be very convenient.

Date of stay: September 2014