Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 November 2014

Staying at the Russel Cooper House was like making a trip thru time to an era when etiquette and good taste ruled the day. Like most historic BandB's, There are no phones or TVs in the room and the stairs creak in the most lovely way from the many souls who traveled them in the course of 185 years. Contrary to other reviews however, there was no dust, mold or mildew present on my stay..and I explored the entire house.
I stayed for 6 nights the last week of October. I was in town on business and since it was available, the owner was kind enough to allow me to meet with clients in the dining room at various times of the day. The dining room boasts a hand painted ceiling, an antique piano, 2 fireplaces. Lovely!
There were several days that were so busy for me that my breakfast had to last me till late into the evening, and it did.
Each day breakfast was a wonderful treat with fresh fruit juice served in a crystal goblet, fresh strawberries, a main entree which was different everyday, toast, turkey bacon, coffee or tea and polite conversation.
My room, the Oriental room, was comfortable with 2 beds...a queen and a single. There were plenty of towels, fresh each day. The shower had generous water pressure, which I did not expect from a BandB. The room also had a hair dryer, which I was thankful for.
I needed to make several special requests during my stay and I can tell you, The Innkeeper, Tom, makes it his business to be helpful and accomodating. I felt like I was staying with a wonderful relative. The housekeeping staff headed by Bertha was very friendly and helpful as well. I wanted for nothing.
All of my clients were locals of the area. They all had stories to tell of their connection to this grand old house and the wonderful times they had enjoyed there for parties and events over the years. As we parted ways on the front porch they would stand with me and marvel at the beautiful yellow autumn tree in the front yard and congratulate me on my fine choice of accommodations fondly called the Russel Cooper House.
I was very much at home in 1829, I miss it already and I will definitely stay there again.
I would wholeheartedly recommend it to any traveler coming to the Mt Vernon area.

Room tip: Each room is lovely, they really are. I was in the Oriental room, which has 2 beds (a Queen and single) For a romantic visit, I would probably request the Colonel's room.
Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Anna J
Reviewed 8 October 2014

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our two-night stay and would return. We did not encounter any of the cleanliness issues mentioned by others. The owner, Tom Dvorak, is extremely pleasant and provides a lot interesting information regarding the area and its history. We enjoyed Tom's breakfast's and found the location to be very convenient.

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2014

A nicely decorated B&B but smell of mold and mildew throughout expecially in our room. Thick dust and cobwebs everywhere. Room was not cleaned in sometime. Bathroom was dark with litle light but mold in shower and toilet seat was broken.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Paul L
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Very nice stay at this B and B. Didn't see much of the owner as he was called away for a funeral. Breakfast was good. A full house so lots of interesting conversation.The Garden Room was a little dark and no outlets, but sufficient. Needs a little TLC, but nice. Within walking distance of downtown with a selection of shops.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in the Colonel's room for 2 nights, and I was very disappointed in the basics that were overlooked. Yes, the house is beautiful and well decorated, but first and foremost a room must be clean. Ours was not.

On arriving I was disappointed that the beautiful exterior I saw in pictures looked neglected. The walk was unswept and untrimmed. The porch was dirty, as were the windows. The house had a very musty odor, and our room, while neat and nicely decorated, was dusty and not well maintained. There was a huge cleanliness issue in that the bathroom sink faucets had soap spatters on them, and there was mold in the opening to the overflow. Even a casual cleaning would have taken care of these two items. The toilet had feces spatters in the bowl and under the seat--totally unacceptable. The bathroom was carpeted and dirty. Carpeting instead of tile? Any surface that could be washed between guests would be preferable. The window A/C unit was filthy: The vent had visible dust and dirt on the slats, and the filter was completely clogged. Dust was visible at the tops of the drapes. These last items are maintenance issues that should be addressed seasonally. The condition I saw suggests that they hadn't been cleaned in years. I've stayed in B&Bs in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Canada, and this was by far the most disappointing experience I've had.

Money spent to heat the house in August when the weather turns pleasantly cool overnight (yes, the heat was on both Saturday evening at 4pm when we checked in and back on, on Monday at 8am), might be better spent on hiring a cleaning crew.

Tom seems to be a decent person, but he probably could use a refresher on the importance of cleanliness, maintenance, and inspection.

Date of stay: August 2014