“Wish I had known about R & M's sooner.”
Review of Southside Diner

Southside Diner
Ranked #2 of 63 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: American, Diner
Reviewed 6 May 2018

Too bad I just found this joint at the end of JrRa#2 junior year at MVNU. At least he has one more year!
I left The Fetching Mrs. Rat in Cbus and headed to MVNU to pick up some of JrRat#2 dorm items. Of course he asked to go out to eat and wondered if he could bring the very real possibility of the future Fetching Mrs. Rat#2? As we got into the Rav, they suggested we head to R&M's. I am glad I took their advice. The place has a pretty extensive menu with a slight greek flavor. I understand that the owners have or had a greek joint in another town. I had had a late lunch so I was not really hungry, but I was not going to pass up any grub. The youngsters suggested burgers and of course I was up to the task. We decided to order three different burgers and then compare them. I don't remember the specific names. I had a greek burger, it was a third pound of beef, topped with gyro meat, lettuce, onion, tomato, and melted feta cheese with tahini. It was good, cooked to a perfect medium. The gyro meat was just a touch dry but very flavorful. JrRat#2 had the Southside burger, it looked tasty and it was a hefty size. The gf had a regular cheeseburger that was the same size as the other two. We ordered two portions of curly fries. These were good size portions and two of them were enough for all three of us. They had a slight kick to them and they were not too salty. The youngsters said that breakfast is always good and so are the desserts. When The Fetching Mrs. Rat and I go back up, I am going to try some of the regular dinner items.
The place is reasonably priced, the damage to the debit card was $27. The decor is straight up 1950's, with a lot of Elvis and heavy on the automobile theme. Our server was wonderful and the rest of the staff seemed to enjoy their jobs.
All in all a good experience.

Date of visit: May 2018
Write a reviewReviews (172)

Reviewed 26 April 2018

OMG!!!! This place was jammed packed at 9 am...doesn't anyone work in Mt. Vernon??? Now I know why... the breakfast is super!!!!!!!! I had Eggs Benedict and it was the best!!! The coffee is built into the price and they say it's free!!!! I had about 5 cups!!! Great service!!!!! I don't know my server's name but she was super!!! You get your check and pay for the food on the way out!!! Parking lot was so jammed I parked in Pizza Hut's parking lot.... this is a cool place, reminds me of an earlier time in our history!!!! Try this place!!!!!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 16 April 2018

This is a place where you come to regularly for your favorite meals and enjoy the history. You will be amazed at all the candy they have waiting for you to purchase. My family indicated the place has been a constant for decades. That is remarkable.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 20 March 2018

My friend and I ate here for dinner when we were in town and it was a fun place to go. I loved sitting around reading all the signs and their menu had a lot to offer. My friend had one of the breakfast items and I had the prime rib, baked potato with butter and sour cream and cottage cheese. The food tasted like my mom had made it and the desserts looked wonderful!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Always great food and a fun atmosphere. Restaurant staff always friendly and go above and beyond. Great place for the entire family

Date of visit: February 2018