“Small Town Diner - Just What You'd Expect”

Invention Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Milan
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Nestled in the historic town of Milan, birthplace of Thomas Edison. We look forward to serving you a meal that will fill your belly and leaving you wanting to tell all your friends about us. New owners have taken over and brought life to this little gem.
Reviewed 21 June 2016

I was traveling for business on the Ohio Turnpike and wasn't in the mood for another tollway meal, so I took a 5-minute detour to this Milan mainstay for breakfast.

Milan is the birthplace of Thomas Edison. It's a picturesque small town maybe a couple of miles south of the Ohio Turnpike on Route 250. It was an easy detour to make.

The restaurant itself sits on a corner on the public square. There is ample parking in back.

I think the restaurant actually closed sometime in the Spring of 2016 and only recently reopened under new management. While I was there a number of locals popped in to say how happy they were it was open again and to express their good wishes to the new owner.

The restaurant is pretty much a throwback to several decades ago. It was clean and bright, but nothing fancy. The menu is more or less what you'd expect from a small, local restaurant. I had a breakfast special, which was an astonishingly good deal and came with fried eggs, sausage, and pancakes. Again, nothing fancy, but the food was good and the experience was far better than fast food.

At present, they are only open for lunch and breakfast.

If you're feeling nostalgic, or just want some good plain food in a friendly setting, this is an excellent choice.

1  Thank ElaineAndGreg
Pepper R, Owner at Invention Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Thank you so much for your amazing review. We are now currently open for breakfast lunch and dinner 5 days a week. We close at 2 on Sunday and Monday. So the next time that you are traveling this way make sure that you stop by and say hi.

Reviewed 28 September 2015

We stopped into the Invention on a recent trip. I had been there once before and it was my wife's first time. My wife ordered a breakfast for lunch and I ordered a burger. The food arrived FAST! My burger was delicious. It was literally steaming hot all the way to the last bite. My wife enjoyed her meal too. The restaurant is located on the very pretty town square. Highly recommended!

1  Thank K2V2

I'm so thankful that you had a great time while you were here. We love this little town that we live in. Make sure that you stop and see us the next time you were over this way.

Reviewed 27 August 2015

Restaurant didn't have the food posted on their signing in the window. We were also told only 1 hamburger could be made. What? We paid for our beverages and went to Jims Pizza Box.

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience. Your visit to the restaurant took place before we took over ownership. I would hope that you would stop on by and give the invention restaurant the opportunity to wow you.

Reviewed 9 August 2015 via mobile

We stopped on way to Chicago. Pleasant surprise to be where Edison was born. The restaurant lies on a corner. Service was great and very friendly. The atmosphere is of an old town diner. If you are hungry, go for the Bradford special. It's great and filling. The food is ok otherwise on par with a diner style food. Good stop.

Reviewed 11 June 2015

We were on a road trip and stopped in Milan. Enjoyed our lunch at Invention Restaurant. Hamburger was great. Eggs and bacon cooked right. Actually too much food for seniors. Nice staff. Only complaint was that it was sort of cold in the room.