“It was fine”

Americas Best Value Inn - Marion
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Marion
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is not a classy hotel by any means, but adequate if a short stay. We were only one night. Front desk gal was very nice when checking in. Room was small, but it was all we needed for one night. It did not smell, we slept with the window open and did not hear any traffic noise except for one firetruck. They do allow dogs, heard one barking across the hall for a short time, but stopped. Rest of evening no noise from people, kids or dogs. Can walk to restaurants; Wal-mart down the street. Kinda tucked sideways in a parking lot facing a LOEWS store so we missed it at first. I think the rate should have been less, but we got the last room due to a softball Nationals tournament in town. Maybe it is at other times. We would stay here again if passing through.

Room Tip: We stayed in room facing the parking lot. 2nd floor. No complaints.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Visiting friends in the area and stayed at the hotel for three days. Room was clean, bed comfortable and the highway noise really didn't bother. Breakfast was oj, packaged pastry and coffee, expected for the price range of hotel. Staff was helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I visit Marion about once a year; usually stay in one of the other hotels such as Comfort Inn or Fairfield Inn. In the past I would get what I consider a fair rate of around $70 per night. This trip I was unable to find anything lower than $90. In a larger city that maybe acceptable, but Marion? I didn't need to visit the town that badly. Looking at mixed TripAdvisor reviews, I decided to try my luck here. The price was still in the $60's for 2 people/2 beds. Better than the competition price, but not quality.

Check-in was uneventful, not as smooth as the upper chain hotels, but nothing that made me remember anything to run home and write TripAdvisor about. I was unfortunate enough to see two rooms in this motel. The first room seemed OK, with the exception of a screwdriver on the sink counter. Just as I was getting my bags settled, a repairman came barging into the room; reason for screwdriver on the sink top! Both of us were surprised, several apologies from both the repairman and the front desk clerk as well as reasoning about the misunderstanding of a room undergoing maintenance. I was given another room; which the clerk called an "upgrade", but looked like the same size room to me.

The room was fine. Another review mentioned used furniture in the rooms, I agree with that. Although things looked clean, the appearance of the furniture was dated or worn-out. It did look like dressers / tables from a Super 8 motel about 10+ years ago. Beds were OK, seemed clean. The Wi-Fi worked, as well as the TV which kept us entertained during the short time we spent in the room. I'm not sure if the motels offers any kind of breakfast, but they did have juice and coffee in the morning. Exterior corridor rooms area a better choice. The interior corridor hallway looked kind of scary, dark and cheaply lit - I had to pass through the interior corridor to access the ice machine.

Would I stay here again? Although I will not say no, I will likely look at the other motels in the area first. If too costly, try another nearby town. I came down with a cold during my 2-night stay, although I may have caught something anywhere, including fast food places, in the back of my mind I wonder if there was some unclean bedding ~ although it seemed clean!

Room Tip: Exterior corridor rooms maybe nicer.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The furnishings looked dirty and recycled from multiple previously bankrupt bargain basement motels. Cigarette smoke was prevalent thoughout the halls, staff was helpful and polite, but the whole appearance of the property was more reminiscent of some poor, 3rd world country. I paid for the room, but was so uncomfortable about even sitting in the broken down chair that I simply left later the same evening. Oh, the gang banger wondering the hallway on the second floor didn't help either! Frankly, and I mean this literally, you couldn't pay me to stay at this chain again. It is America's Least Value Inn.

Room Tip: Don't under any circumstances stay with this chain of motels!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank James M
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The room was clean and quiet. Good choice for one night stay. Close to the church where we were attending a wedding. Rates were comparable. The hallways and rooms could use updating but it served the purpose. The AARP rate was only $67.00 per room so you can't expect a great place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family