“Billed higher than menu states on numerous items”

Mamma Disalvo's Italian Ristorante
Ranked #1 of 72 Restaurants in Kettering
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Italian cuisine made from Mamma's family recipes. Family owned and operated since 1979.
Reviewed 19 September 2018

Having stopped in during the limited weekday lunch hours, we were immediately seated and our server was outstanding. The linguine vendure was served piping hot, with 60% vegetables to 40% pasta, a pleasant surprise. Both of our meals were sitting in a lot of oil, something I would not choose to do.The table bread was amazingly soft and delicious. New York cheesecake topped off the meal. A very filling and delicious meal for the lunch price. My only complaint is that the prices charged for numerous items did not match the online menu prices or even the menu our server handed us. The tea, beer and desserts were all more expensive than the menu prices listed by up to $2 for each item. Note: there is no way a wheelchair or larger person can fit in the restroom. It is the tiniest I have ever seen.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Mamma Disalvo's was my favorite restaurant until now. I booked a party in the semiprivate party room for 20 people in July for August 25 at 5:30. When I called on to confirm, the day of the party they could not find my reservation. The did however accommodate me for a 5:00 in the semiprivate area. This was with a catch we had to be out by 7:00. We arrived at 5:00, but because the invitation said 5:30 my guests did not start arriving until after 5:30. At that time with only one guest that arrived the manager came up to us, and was quite rude, said that we had better hurry it up that he had another party booked at 7:00. The entire night was rushed from ordering to serving the cake that we brought in for the party. The area itself was very small to hold my 20 guests, making it hard to walk around and talk to people. Then again because we were so rushed that would not have been possible no matter how large the space was. On the plus side the food was good, however it was a bit pricey.

Reviewed 23 August 2018

The service was fine, the atmosphere unchanged. Some of the food was delicious, the salad/dressing, the garlic bread, the sauce. I got chicken parm, though, and it was overdone, tough, and rubbery. The sauce and cheese on the chicken were delicious, just not the actual chicken. The restaurant of several years ago would NEVER have served chicken like that. The salad used to be, and still is, delicious, BUT now you have to pay extra for the small bit of cheese on top?? Really?? The meals are expensive enough - they should be embarrassed at the 50 cents more for cheese. Again, the old Mamma's wouldn't have done that. I do enjoy most of the food - the meatballs, the sauce. But, they're starting to cut corners now, and it shows.

2  Thank LarryBL2308DY
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

Long over due review.
Best Italian food in town. Anyone who else gives this place a bad review is either a competitor and writing a fake review or they don’t know what real Italian food so they are complaining. Thank you for always providing a great meal for my wife and I.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank DSully62
Reviewed 8 August 2018

I had heard so much hype about this restaurant, so we decided to try it out. We've lived in Italy before, so we were excited. Well, to our surprise, we were pretty disappointed. The food was just not good. The lasagna was mostly cheese and sauce with only two layers of noodles; the flattest lasagna we've ever seen. It was very, very oily, too. In fact, all of the dishes we ordered were swimming in oil. Just not Italian. The linguini vongole was mostly oil and seasonings. Had an okay taste, but the oil just didn't do it justice. Then, I couldn't stand it when I chewed on sand or shell pieces. As if he clams were not cleaned well. Needless to say, I wouldn't consider this food as Italian.

On the other hand, the staff was very nice, helpful, and geared towards the customer. If it weren't for them, the rating would have been a 1.

The prices are ridiculously high considering you're getting Stouffer's-type food. Not worth it!

Bottom line: we'll never return.

1  Thank Kandice K