“Visiting Cleveland for work - trying their version of Thai”

Rockside Thai Gourmet
Ranked #26 of 48 Restaurants in Independence
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 7 January 2018

I am not sure if it is different parts of Thailand call their food different things, you'd think Tom Ka Kai is the same across the board especially when it has the same ingredients. How it tastes is another story. I can say I will give their "chicken coconut soup" what is called TKK (noted above), 9 out of 10. Very tasty soup, a lot of chicken and fresh veggies with a nice smooth coconut broth. Very good!
I also had their Coconut Curry Chicken. This was a very tasty dish but I give it 7 out of 10 because the veggies appeared to be frozen peas and carrots. I've never seen carrots in perfect square cuts other than frozen and would not expect it to be in Thai food either. The yellow curry sauce was good but lacked the coconut flavor it should have had with the word coconut in the name and it claimed to be. I think its best to call it yellow curry chicken instead. I like to try different things when I visit different areas, especially Thai restaurants after finally learning the art of ordering. Its the same with Sushi for me. I appreciate a good Thai restaurant, this was good, with a few flaws I wold definitely eat here again. :)

Reviewed 1 October 2017

We enjoyed a late lunch during the week. The atmosphere was quite pleasant and our server was quite a jokester. Our pot sticker appetizer was frozen on one side and grilled on the other side; since the grilling wasn't enough to warm the potstickers they were served cold which led us to believe they were pre-packaged. Our entrees were delicious but we weren't able to request that the spicy dish be served mild so I think the sauce was already prepared for the day.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

We arrived for lunch a little before 1:00, were seated immediately at the one vacant booth. Interesting and extensive menu with moderate prices. Lots of starters (which I may order next time instead of full meal). We both had Thai dishes and enjoyed them. Service was prompt and friendly, waitstaff checked back to see that we were satisfied. Checks (separate, as requested) came promptly.

The restaurant is small, not-quite-dimly lit, and attractively decorated with Southeast Asian accessories. We'll definitely go back -- I need to experience more of the menu's assortment of carnivore, vegetarian, and vegan dishes. Except for the tofu (which I can't eat), everything looked and sounded good!

Why not 5 stars? That's hard to do on a first visit — when I know it better, I may revise.

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

I ordered the basil chicken and an egg roll. Both were absolutely delicious. I definitely enjoyed my meal. The only downside is that the service was less than attentive, spending most of their time in the kitchen rather then checking on incoming and existing clients.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

You've got to love a place that lets you BYOB! Such restaurants have never disappointed me. Our group of five women came for dinner after a 4pm movie, beers in hand! We were seated right away and brought beer glasses and they even sliced the orange I brought for the wheat beers. No fee was charged for this service.

We were pretty hungry after the movie so appetizers were ordered to share, crab rangoon and vegetable potstickers...some of the ladies were observing Lent. I'm not normally a fan of crab rangoon but it was delicious. The potstickers were the best I've ever had. Although Chinese food is also served, I opted for the Thai Coconut Spaghetti which our kind and very comical waiter, Arial recommended. He also easily substituted rice noodles for my spaghetti. I didn't try anyone's entree but no complaints were heard around the table. At the end of the meal we shared a very generous order of the Coconut Fried Banana. I mean generous, too. Five of us shared and there was even some left!

Writing this review, I am yearning to go back!