All reviews closing time day hike wine list overland cabin walks hobart wilderness winter fireplace wildlife bush echidna possums snow
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed for one night in a spa suite. Room beautiful and right on the waters edge. Bathroom beautiful with lovely spa. Was very disappointed that not many people there and they put someone right next to us. Another disappointing aspect was it stated on the website it had a kitchenette with microwave and stove but when we got there it was only tea and coffee making facilities. We had brought food to cook in our room and had to go to camp kitchen.

Overall beautiful room but at $325.00 a night a bit expensive

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Walked the overlander track for 6 days and really needed a shower and bed and a warm meal.
Micheal the manager was fantastic and we got a cabin and it was fantastic.
Great pillows and bed and good washing facilities. View of the lake in the morning was incredible.
Great way to finish an amazing walk
Remember to pre book ferry if traveling on the track across the lake!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Well you can’t beat the position. It’s the start / finish to the overland track and a great base for numerous walks within the NP.

The cabins whilst basic are warm and comfortable. Unfortunately they are not self contained which does limit your meals to the lodge which could be better.

The cabins are located in Bush land giving privacy though most cabins are back to back rooms . That is one structure that serves two cabins.

Recommended as abase for day walks.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2018

After finishing the Overland Track I thought this lodge would be a welcome sanctuary back in the real world: Hot coffee, Hot shower, the basics. However I found myself wishing I was back in the wilderness because I was continually disappointed here.

- Upon Arrival, they had no power for over an hour. They said they couldn't even make a cup of tea (ie: boil some water on their gas stove which was working, and put a teabag in it). We considered pulling out our camping stove to make a cup of hot coffee in the middle of the restaurant.
- Although they had wifi at the lodge, they refused to give the password to the guests saying that being disconnected was "a part of the experience". Even though they are located at the end of the Overland track, where people have been disconnected from family and friends for over a week....
- They charged my credit card twice for the booking (over a 2 week period...) Reading some more reviews here, I have a feeling this is going to be an ongoing saga.
- Food is over priced, so we asked reception if there is any mode of transport to the pub in town for a change of scenery. They said no. So we walked an hour to the Derwent Bridge Hotel. The bar tender then told us that yes, they offer a bus service from the Lodge.
- The "General Store" they speak of was literally a corner in reception which sells their merchandise and not much else. I heard a girl who just finished the overland looking for somewhere to buy tampons and couldn't. But she could buy a Lake st Clair Lodge chopping board if she needed!
- There is no phone reception
- There is nothing to do on rainy / cold days.
- There is no phone in the rooms to connect you to Reception. And the building is a 5 minute walk (in the rain) away. They didn't offer umbrellas to get to and from the rooms. So if you had a question, or problem with the room (which is most likely) it was a 5 minute walk in the rain to speak to the unhelpful reception.
- Breakfast was strange and inconsistent. There was a song on repeat which became a joke. The "Filter coffee" was a pot with coffee bags in it, sometimes strong, sometimes weak. We ordered a tea and it never came. Why don't they just have self serve tea and coffee?
- When checking out I overheard another guest (who had also just finished the Overland) complaining to reception that their showers were cold. Reception said they could complain to the manager tomorrow but offered no solution that I could hear.

It's sad that the Lodge obviously has the monopoly on the area, being the only Hotel at the end of the Overland Track (unless you want to walk another 1 hour after you finish with your pack). No competition means they don't even try to be a good hotel. Would not recommend. Overlanders, it's definitely worth walking another 1 hour to Derwent Bridge for some decent accommodation.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mibby_mobby
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

We booked a lake view apartment, paying extra ($370) to have a sitting room and kitchen. Check in was slowest I’ve seen anywhere. We could see the lake from our studio but view was interrupted by the three cabins right in front of us, which was disappointing. The cabin was clean and attractive. TV was in bedroom which meant that to watch TV you had to sit on bed instead of in the living area, negating the usefulness of the sitting area which we’d paid extra for. The Gas fire was very welcome and warm, but was impossible to hold at a comfortable temperature. We had to put it off when too hot despite turning to lowest setting and then switch on when feeling the cold. The settees were very uncomfortable, designed to be used with a cushion behind but no cushion provided. The heating in bathroom was a heated towel rail which did not heat much and a heat lamp. This was chilly in February so I dread to think what it’d be like in July.
The included breakfast was the worst that I have come across in a hotel. I prefer a continental breakfast. Cereal choice was weetabix, cornflakes or muesli. No nuts, seeds, dried fruits or fresh fruit for adding to muesli. A waitress arrived about 20 minutes after we arrived to take our tea and coffee order. This did not arrive and eventually we went back to our cabin to make our own tea and coffee. It would be better not to offer breakfast as an inclusion than offer this.
All of this would have been acceptable on the basis it is a wilderness setting but charging $370 is not. I can book a much nicer one bedroom studio in Melbourne in a prime location for $200 a night. I would not expect to pay nearly twice that in Tasmania.

Stayed: February 2018