All reviews sandwiches and cakes lovely afternoon tea burgess hill cream tea quiet location wedding venue haywards heath bed and breakfast function room two night stay car park classic lodges couple of nights the ground floor member of staff stayed here for one night good nights sleep
Reviewed 21 October 2018

We arrived on a beautiful afternoon for tea using a voucher we had been given. Hotel is tired and in great need of a makeover. Dining room was utilitarian and the carpet dated. Windows/doors also needed a wash and polish. China could do with replacing. This aside staff were very pleasant and we were surprised to find the tea very agreeable. We opted for the roast beef and horseradish creme fraiche which was tender and tasty and the lemon pepper chicken. Scones were warm, but were a tad hard but the cake selection was very nice. The icing on the carrot and walnut cake literally melted in your mouth. The banoffee dessert had me beat but my husband said it was delicious. Would I go again the answer is probably no and due to lack of ambiance /surroundings I would not buy it as a gift for anyone else.

Room tip: This review was afternoon tea not staying at hotel.
1  Thank Travellingmouse123
j0ell, Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

I am sorry to read your review following a recent afternoon tea experience here at the hotel.
I am obviously delighted that you enjoyed the tea experience along with our pleasant staff, but disappointed that you felt the ambiance and surroundings were not of your expectations. I will certainly pass on your comments to my team and do hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Our afternoon tea was delightful.
Being vegetarian there was only two options but both were delicious. The sone was the best that I have tasted lovely and fresh.
The cakes were great and they changed one for us as it had a glaze and therefore not veggie.
Excellent food and good service.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
j0ell, Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent afternoon tea. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and appreciate your feedback.
I will pass on your comments to my team and we hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 October 2018

Stayed here this week for the first time in about a decade. It's not blatantly obvious, but I could sense that things weren't quite as they used to be.

When we checked in, I think the grown-ups were having the night off and we got the work experience shift. The young chap on reception was pleasant enough, but looked really scruffy - shirt hanging out of his trousers, tie undone, long hair falling about. Not a great first impression.

It's a rare hotel these days which doesn't have at least a 5ft bed in its double rooms - but the Hickstead still only has 4'6" doubles, even though there's plenty of space in the rooms for something larger.

Cleanliness was fine, but the hotel is just beginning to look a tiny bit tired - it's getting to the point where a good spruce-up would reap benefits.

Walls, doors and floors/ceilings could benefit from increased soundproofing. Every step taken by whoever was in the room above us resonated into our room, and the noise in the corridor on our second morning was very disturbing.

Nice breakfasts, served by very pleasant and welcoming staff. (But see the accompanying restaurant review for my views concerning two-person and four-person tables being far too close to each other - we spend most of our time at breakfast the first morning listening in detail to the phone conversation that the businesswoman on the next table was having with her office.)

Price-wise - a room here isn't cheap, but that seems to be the norm for Sussex these days (pretty much impossible to get anything decent for less than £100 a night).

Room tip: A first-floor room would be best if you don't want to be disturbed by footsteps resonating through your ceiling.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank GarethH294
j0ell, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that you felt things weren't quite as they used to be.
I will be reviewing with my team in order to take corrective actions, training as appropriate.
I am pleased you enjoyed our breakfasts.
I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in future, where I am sure you will experience us in a better light.

Reviewed 20 September 2018

To celebrate "Fathers Day", my daughter presented me with an E voucher through 'buyagift' to experience "Afternoon tea for two at Classic Lodges Hotels UK wide". This meant we could chose any one of a number of hotels within that Chain across the country to enjoy this "experience".

We chose to visit the Hickstead Hotel, West Sussex.It was a simple matter of calling up the hotel and arranging a date and time.

The hotel itself is just off the A23 at Jobs Lane, Bolney, West Sussex and the sat nav took us to the front entrance.

As we drove through the impressive entrance and down the lengthy driveway, we were surrounded by countryside. First sightings of the hotel itself presented a sense of grandeur and spaciousness.There is ample parking and the reception area is but a few steps from the car park.

Upon entering the hotel we were immediately met by a delightful receptionist who instantly made us feel very welcome.Having confirmed the boking, we were then handed over to one of the waiters who looked after us for the whole visit. He was both pleasant, very smart, attentive and inter reacted extremely well.

The menu for the actual "tea" was extensive with a good selection of different sandwiches and fillings. Having made our decision as to what we would have in terms of sandwiches,we were given our pots of tea. Before getting through half the first cup, the food arrived, beautifully presented. It was very apparent, all was freshly made and looked delicious!

We then settled down to a lovely relaxed afternoon enjoying the fayre. The sandwiches contained ample filling and tasted divine. Accompanying the sandwiches were a large selection of assorted dainty cakes and a banoffee sweet, set in a shot glass. Exquisite!

Despite our best efforts, we were unable to consume all the goodies placed before us whilst at the table. When requested, our waiter duly removed the remaining sandwiches and cakes and presented them to us in a purpose made box to take with us. They were subsequently enjoyed later at home with our friends.

The hotel itself has some 52 bedrooms and suites and being only 20 minutes from Gatwick Airport I could see this as an ideal stop over when using the airport.

The afternoon tea? A truly quintessential experience.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Paul T, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2018

Dear Cotehele

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Afternoon Tea. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and I will ensure to share your kind comments with the team at our daily meeting. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards
Paul

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Booked in to attend a friends wedding, stayed a few nights longer. The rooms was comfortable and clean, staff were very friendly and attentive. A little noise from ongoing events and people moving about on the floor above/ door slamming but no more than you would get living in a family home or flat! All in all an extremely pleasant stay!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Paul T, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear John R

Thank you for your recent review and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hickstead. We look forward to seeing you back again in the near future.
Kind Regards