“Extortionate and does not know madras vs vindaloo”
Review of Golden Curry - CLOSED

Golden Curry
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 February 2016

The price for takeaway delivered seemed to and vat upon vat. I ordered Madras and got vindaloo. The "king prawns" were a little bigger than shrimps but whimps as far as king prawns go.

2  Thank BillMar2016

Reviewed 2 February 2016

This is my one of my first Tripadviser reviews. Up until now I have read reviews regularly but never got round to contributing. Although it has prompted me into action it is really disappointing that my first revue has got to be so negative.

I cannot comment about the quality of the food as we walked out. I can comment upon our experience however, and on that basis, make up your own mind.
We booked a family gathering birthday meal there for Sunday lunch. Thirteen of us arrived at 12 noon. The manager previously confirmed the booking by phone so they were well aware of our arrival time and number.
On arrival, I noticed that the exterior was a little shabbier than that depicted their website and on Google Streetview.
The door was locked and there was no response. Our party all arrived and we remained outside (including the birthday lady and her husband in their eighties). We stood there until around 1210 when there was movement from within. Eventually an individual dressed as a cook appeared in the slip road at the side of the premises. He was unshaven and wearing the dirtiest apron you could imagine. He seemed surprised we were there but went back inside and opened up the front door. He then asked us to wait until the manager arrived. He smelt dreadful - mixture of general 'badness' and what I think was old alcohol. From that point on I decided that I would not have him cooking anything for me! He was quizzed about the sign within that said they would not accept cards, only cash, as there was a 'problem' with the machine. He confirmed that was the case. This was never mentioned at the time of booking or the confirmation call.
I cannot comment on the quality of the food, other than that attached to the mans apron - which was a shade of dark brown.
If this restaurant wishes to regain the good standards previously indicated on Tripadviser then they have a long way to go.

4  Thank Upjonners
Reviewed 23 January 2016

Could not have been welcomed more warmly. Good choice of curries and not rushed. Very nice flavours - the Kama Sutra was unusual and very good. Very nice birthday meal in nice atmosphere.

2  Thank LilacT
Reviewed 16 October 2015

We found golden curry after doing research into great Indian restaurant, and we were very happy with the food and there was great hospitality, would definitely go again and recommend!

2  Thank Callum F
Reviewed 31 July 2015

Over the years I have been to this restaurant several times. The staff have always been good and the food above average. On this recent visit it felt like the restaurant was not as it had been -it seemed more down at heel and with just eat and hungry horse signs perhaps moving into a different market? The staff were ok and the food selected was reasonable but this was not the Golden Curry of old. I wont be back

6  Thank Peter W