“Nice enough hotel, good food, bad eperience in spa.”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Kent
“Nice enough hotel, good food, bad eperience in spa.”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed here on a one night spa break with my best girl friend just before Christmas. Apologies for delay in review! We booked it through spabreaks.com as a package including 1 hour spa treatment, full use of spa facilities, evening meal, room & breakfast & it was a bargain for the price we paid (£119 each).

The hotel itself is very grand & makes a great impression when you drive up. We arrived early so we could make the most of the spa but this did mean we couldn't check into our room so had to take our overnight bags over to the spa.

The spa was nice (up until my friend's locker was broken into & her i-phone was stolen but more about that later). The welcome was prompt & friendly & gowns & slippers were provided. Once we were changed we happlily spent a couple of hours lounging round the pool & using the jacuzzi with coffees brought to our beds. We bought lunch from the bar but ate it beside the pool in our dressing gowns! We both had back massages & facials which were ok. I have lost count of the spa treatments I have had all over the world & although this wasn't up there in my top 10 it was nice & did leave me feeling relaxed.

Sadly this didn't last long as, already mentioned, my friend's locker was broken into & her i-phone was stolen. The thiefs had taken the entire lock out & we noticed that there were several lockers with the whole lock missing but when we mentioned this to staff they said this was something they had done. I do not believe this. I think this is a problem that they know about but have obviously failed to stop. I only say this because of the attitude of the staff. The manager that appeared on the scene was immediatley defensive, rather than apologising or showing any sympathy she almost said 'oh well, you'll have insurance for that'. My friend was not impressed.

I want to also say that since our stay my friend has tried to get the hotel's help for the insurance claim & they have been extremely unhelpful.

After that moan this is going to sound ungrateful but as a result of the break-in we did get upgraded in the hotel. Only thing is we think this only happened because the above-mentioned manager walked through reception as we were checking into our room & probably felt like she should do something. We obviously will never know but the gesture was a complete contrast to her attitude in the spa so can't help but wonder? The hotel: Our room was a large twin with beautiful view of the grounds. It was clean & had everything we needed, although the bathroom was pretty small. It felt quite cosy & importantly in the winter it was warm! We ate our evening meal in the restaurant as part of our package & the food was really delicious. I have actually eaten at the hotel once before & again the food was excellent. I also want to say that our waitress was a sweetie! Breakfast was buffet but good choice & all nice.

Taking the unfortunate break-in out of it I would say that for the price we paid we did get a good value break & we enjoyed our stay. Putting the break-in back into account we would say that the staff's attitude over this really let the hotel down & would stop me returning.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Firstly I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was also nice to read that you really enjoyed the spa treatments you had in the Leisure Club.
I am disappointed however to read that your friend had their phone stolen from a leisure locker while with us. I can confirm that indeed some lockers have locks missing currently. This is because we have removed them awaiting new ones after previous guests failed to return the key. Unfortunately you can not just replace the missing key, the whole lock must be replaced. My leisure club Manager removed the locks to avoid guests using them for valuables whilst waiting deliver of the new ones.
I am sorry that you felt the staff on duty could have shown more empathy, and having spoken with them, this was not their intention. They were in fact just following the correct procedures to ensure that any incident is documented as required so as not to delay providing any information that your friend or insurance company may require at a later date.
I am confident that ever effort would have been made to provide your friend with all the information requested as per our procedures.
Once again though I am pleased that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
surrey
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My daughter had booked this hotel for us for a xmas present,then she found a better deal with travel zoo, she rang the hotel, and they just swopped it to that, saving her £60 odd pounds,(the day before our arrival ) for that you got afternoon tea, a executive room, a bottle of wine in your room, and a 3 course meal, and breakfast. afternoon tea was a scone with jam, cream, and sliced strawberrys tea and coffee, we did have to wait ages for that, once it arrived we both enjoyed it.
The wine arrived in our room, which was a rosa, and dinner was lovely, the staff was great too.
Breakfast was very enjoyable
its our 3rd stay here,and we love it, ok the bathroom needs up dating, but our room itself is charming, and views are amazing.
We are both looking forward to a fouth visit, its a beautiful hotel...

Room Tip: Up grade to a executive room, the views are worth paying extra for..
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
SPHGC, Management Administrator at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review which will be passed to our Quality Wins Team who meet regularly to ensure that the high standards we strive to are being maintained.. We would like to thank you for your constructive comments which will enable us identify any area of improvement or retraining and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Bought my wife a one night spa break for her birthday. When you first arrive at the hotel it gives you that wow factor with its grand entrance but thats where it stops I'm afraid.
After checking-in the receptionist told us where our room was and where to catch the lift however we searched for the lift and ended up taking the stairs after asking the receptionist for the second time, I dont think she knew where it was herself.
The room was very average, but not too bad. Just before dinner we had a drink in the bar, the barman had to call the barlady as he did not understand my order. In fact it felt like most of the staff were not that comfortable in English. We went to the Cedar Restaurant for dinner which was a partitioned off area in a conference hall with absolutly no atmosphere at all. Just to clarify, on the info pack in our room details of the retaurant says, the food prepared by the chef is freshly sourced, local produce, well this is not true, the Rib Eye steak with a £5.95 supplement is from Brazil/ Argentina and is the toughest Rib Eye I have ever eaten. The desert was straight from Brake Brothers mass produced desert range bought in and served on a plate to look home made. The service was shocking we waited 25 min between courses looking at our dirty plates.
Just to add my wife did not receive a gown or slippers from the spa as advertised.
Over all very disapointed and we would never stay in a PH Hotel again as Im' sure this is the general standard throughout the chain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not look over parking lott
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica H
SPHGC, PA at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for asking the time to write your review. I was disappointed to read that you had a problem placiing you order in the bar, and I will be speaking with my Food and Bevages Manager to identify any additional training where needed. I have also noted your comments regarding your meal in our restaurant and I will pass these comments onto my Chef for discussion. Once again thank you for comments which are very helpful in monitoring our standards and ensuring that any improvements are identified and addressed.
kent
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Before booking this hotel I thought I was aware of it quality and standing in the local area having worked in the area for years. How wrong was I and wish I had checked Trip Advisor out for an up to date report.
For the price paid I don't expect a large room with all the mod cons. I do however expect it to be clean and functional like any other hotel of that standard. There are plenty in Croydon cheaper and better.
We stayed just before Christmas on a Friday night and the hotel was busy(ish)
Our room was disgustingly filthy.
There was pubic hair blowing across the bathroom floor like spaggetti western tumble weed.
The bedroom bin had half empty beer bottles in it.
It was generally dusty and shabby.
There was alight bulb blown
The safe didn't work.
When we complained the house keeping manager was very apologetic and sent someone to clean the floor and empty the bin. The cleaner did a marvalous job on the bathroom floor but decided to spill the beer onto the bedroom carpet.
After complaining to the hotels general manager Caroline [--]by e-mail and her PA I expected some kind of reponse only to get a template reply that they were sorry and someone would be in touch. Never happened.
I complained directly to the head office of Principal-Hayley hoping that it was the General Manager who had lost the plot and was letting this hotel go to ruin. Customer services at Head office couldn't be bother to even respond.
So the long and short of it is: If you want a filthy room and a hotel with little/no customer care then get booking now. I doubt you will have trouble reserving a room as I can see this once great hotel disappearing down the pan.
I haven't posted the photo's of the hair as I felt it would be to traumatic !!

Room Tip: Pick a room in a different hotel !!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kenttravellerKent
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very sorry that the standard of your room upon arrival at the hotel was not as you expected and for any shortcoming you expienced. I can confirm that hotel contacted you in the first instance regarding carrying out further investigation into the concerns raised. I do also believe that my PA contacted you by telephone to assist with our investigation further. At this point we were lead to believe that the hair you reported to housekeeping was on a bath mat, and that a member of housekeeping attended your room immediately to replace this and carry any further cleaning of the room to ensure that our standards are met.
With regard to a final response I understand that Head Office have infact contacted you in writing with the outcome of our investigations, as opposed to the hotel contacting you directly, this being your preferred method of contact.
Once again thank you for your valued feedback, which does assist me to monitor that the higest standards of service we strive for are delivered to every guest.
UK
Reviewed 10 January 2012

With such a mixed bad of reviews it's clearly something of a game of Russian roulette when staying here. I've stayed three days thus far and have booked again, but at Late Room prices as I wouldn't dream of paying the full advertised rate. I stay during the week and as somewhere to stay when working away it's location makes it far more attractive than nearby city centre hotels, it's nice to escape to the nearby countryside! So the hotel does have it's faults and a lack of investment is pretty obvious: tired decor, limited staff, a labryinth of corridors to negotiate to find your hotel room and in some cases at least the sound proofing leaves a lot to be desired BUT the staff seem friendly, the location is very handy and the food thus far has been fine albeit I have only eaten in the bar. At the rock bottom price that I have secured at least for the next few weeks at any rate I have no complaints, of course there is time yet! If and when the price hike comes I will be shopping elsewhere unless PH make it worth my while. This is an impressive, grand building with huge potential, but I suspect would cost a scary amount of money to bring completely up to date so in the meantime, the hotel seems to rely heavily upon the conference / party market who I suspect are less fussy about the quality of their accommodation. Not somewhere I would use as a romantic bolt hole but more than adequate for the business traveller - at least on this visit. I have a suspicion that's not always the case with some rooms better than others, and noisy neighbors a problem, but I have stayed in worse places.

Room Tip: Speak to the hotel and make sure you persuade them for one of the better, quieter spots!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased to read that you have been happy with the service you have received from my Team, and I can confirm that both ny staff and I endeavour to make every guests stay and enjoyable and welcome guest feedback. As you noted we currently carrying out some updating to the hotel, however with a building the size of Selsdon Park this does take a little time.
Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to contionuing in welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Caroline Morrone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croydon
Croydon Park Hotel
Jurys Inn London Croydon
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome
Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club

Been to De Vere Selsdon Estate? Share your experiences!