I stayed here on a one night spa break with my best girl friend just before Christmas. Apologies for delay in review! We booked it through spabreaks.com as a package including 1 hour spa treatment, full use of spa facilities, evening meal, room & breakfast & it was a bargain for the price we paid (£119 each).
The hotel itself is very grand & makes a great impression when you drive up. We arrived early so we could make the most of the spa but this did mean we couldn't check into our room so had to take our overnight bags over to the spa.
The spa was nice (up until my friend's locker was broken into & her i-phone was stolen but more about that later). The welcome was prompt & friendly & gowns & slippers were provided. Once we were changed we happlily spent a couple of hours lounging round the pool & using the jacuzzi with coffees brought to our beds. We bought lunch from the bar but ate it beside the pool in our dressing gowns! We both had back massages & facials which were ok. I have lost count of the spa treatments I have had all over the world & although this wasn't up there in my top 10 it was nice & did leave me feeling relaxed.
Sadly this didn't last long as, already mentioned, my friend's locker was broken into & her i-phone was stolen. The thiefs had taken the entire lock out & we noticed that there were several lockers with the whole lock missing but when we mentioned this to staff they said this was something they had done. I do not believe this. I think this is a problem that they know about but have obviously failed to stop. I only say this because of the attitude of the staff. The manager that appeared on the scene was immediatley defensive, rather than apologising or showing any sympathy she almost said 'oh well, you'll have insurance for that'. My friend was not impressed.
I want to also say that since our stay my friend has tried to get the hotel's help for the insurance claim & they have been extremely unhelpful.
After that moan this is going to sound ungrateful but as a result of the break-in we did get upgraded in the hotel. Only thing is we think this only happened because the above-mentioned manager walked through reception as we were checking into our room & probably felt like she should do something. We obviously will never know but the gesture was a complete contrast to her attitude in the spa so can't help but wonder? The hotel: Our room was a large twin with beautiful view of the grounds. It was clean & had everything we needed, although the bathroom was pretty small. It felt quite cosy & importantly in the winter it was warm! We ate our evening meal in the restaurant as part of our package & the food was really delicious. I have actually eaten at the hotel once before & again the food was excellent. I also want to say that our waitress was a sweetie! Breakfast was buffet but good choice & all nice.
Taking the unfortunate break-in out of it I would say that for the price we paid we did get a good value break & we enjoyed our stay. Putting the break-in back into account we would say that the staff's attitude over this really let the hotel down & would stop me returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Et in 200 acres of beautiful Surrey countryside, De Vere Selsdon Estate is an historic country mansion with an 18 hole championship golf course, luxury beauty treatment rooms and well-appointed leisure club. Perfect for large scale business events in the area as well as romantic weddings, this picturesque setting also features extensive grounds ideal for outdoor team-building and celebrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms and Agoda so you can book your De Vere Selsdon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Selsdon Park & Golf Course Hotel Croydon
- Selsdon Park And Golf Course
- Selsdon Park Hotel Course
- Selsdon Park Croydon