“Used to be a good place. NOT ANYMORE”
Review of German Doner Kebab

German Doner Kebab
Ranked #18 of 31 Quick Bites in Croydon
Price range: US$2 - US$10
Description: Our company was established in Germany over 30 years ago and has built up to more than 45 branches worldwide, all selling high quality Doner Kebabs. We serve 100% lean succulent meat in handmade breads with fresh crisp salad and a choice of our three signature sauces. German Doner Kebab. Kebabs done right.
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

I have dined at the German Doner Kebab in East Croydon a few times now and it used to be one of my favourite places in this area. However, when dining there last night with my friends, i was shocked by the quality of the food and poor service if the staff. The bread was like biscuit and broke into pieces as soon as I had my first bite. When telling the staff about the dry Doner, she didn’t even let me finish and immediately pointed to her manager and said “REALLY?!” while making it look like making fun of me. I really felt insulted at that point. The manager named Daniela then approached us and was prompt in justifying the poor quality in making us believe that this is due to the fact that the bread is toasted for a minute. Before being able to questioning this any further, she left and went back to the kitchen. Thus just added to the insult that I received from the first member of staff.

Additionally, the level of cleanliness in the toilets is shocking. It was very clear that nobody cleaned the toilets and nobody bothered keeping soap in there either.

I’m quite disappointed with the way my visit went yesterday and to be honest, at this point I’m not sure if I will ever return back to this particular place.

NEVER AGAIN!

3  Thank Companion693925
KhA12000, Owner at German Doner Kebab, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Dear customer,
I am truly very sorry for your experience and I will personally check this out with staff. We do have some new staff members working there yesterday and they must have made the meals. I will again look into this and ensure the correct process of preparation is followed.

We do ensure we are CLEAN at all times. Sometimes it does get busy and we prioritise serving our customers. Yesterday we were short on staff as well so it may have contributed.

As a token of apology and help to win your trust again, I would like to offer a free meal on me.
We and myself always strive for the best and always give the best. If there are improvements that need to be made by the trainees then I will most definitely take that on board and rectify.

I have spoken to Daniella. She was not working yesterday. What date did you attend please?

Many Thanks for understanding.
K

Reviewed 23 August 2018

went here twice had a beef doner both times not too much not too little, just great and for £5 odd a good cheap meal. wish there was one near me. my colleages thought the same too.

GermanDonerKebab, Guest Relations Manager at German Doner Kebab, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Stephen C,

Many thanks for taking the time out your day to leave us a review for German Doner Kebab in Croydon.

We are pleased you enjoyed your beef doner meal along with your colleagues. We are always looking to expand so there could be a branch near you soon!

Next time your in store why not try our delicious doner burger?

Look forward to welcoming you back to GDK!

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

I was looking forward to trying the German Doner after seeing Katie trial in Fulham branch. I must say I was so dissapointed,I had a mixed doner, it's seemed to take ages to arrive, and when it did the meat was blooming cold, sliced so wafer thin I could hardly taste it and was a very small measly portion, it was nearly all salad. The bread was lovely and the spicy chips good, but the kebab was a total fail. I like my meat sliced thick and hot, there was hardly anyone in at the time so why it took so long to arrive is a mystery, I think its possibly down to an incompetent chef

1  Thank alkingbrassteacher

Hi alkingbrassteacher,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review for the Croydon branch of German Doner Kebab.

We understand how this experience made you feel and want to apologize for this. This is not the standard that GDK aims for. We are currently in touch with the branch to make sure all staff are aware of this issue to ensure this does not happen again. We are pleased you enjoyed our freshly made bread and the spicy chips!

We would like a chance to redeem ourselves in your eyes and we ask that you email us on feedback@germandonerkebab.com so we can do just that. It would be much appreciated if you could put the branch name in the title of the email.

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Meat over cooked and thin poor portions . When complained was offered 20% off only explained we did not live close and had travelled to pick the food up they were unsympathetic.

2  Thank Clare W
Khauram S, Owner at German Doner Kebab, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Dear Clare. I am very sorry for your experience at GDK. I have spoken to the Manager about this and I was informed that she had offered 50% off the next bill as a token of apology and compensation, which you duly accepted. I have at the same time informed my staff to ensure the correct portion sizes are met.
Once again I am sorry for this and hope to see you for us to rectify your concerns.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I went there with a business associate and we ordered our kebabs and I saw the same dirty bloke stroking what looked like a tribal beard from beneath his hairnet and he seemed to be doing this a lot. I explained to my friend that I couldn't eat there and he understood but it's been a bone of contention between us ever since.

Also - being German - I asked for a menu in German, but they didn't have one.

I was like wtf - it's called Krout's Doner Kebab, how can you not have a menu on German, yet the ho shrugged her shoulders, and I took that to mean she loves her job and is overpaid.

Edit: since I left this review the owner has contacted me more than once, badgering me for my telephone number, and challenging me about my review.

I've had to report him to TripAdvisor and the police for harrassment.

Avoid.

1  Thank Bobby G
KhA12000, Owner at German Doner Kebab, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hello Bobby, I am sorry for your bad experience at GDK and from our previous messages, I asked if we could have a chat to discuss the issue. We at GDK follow FULL food safety guidelines which are regularly audited and as you can see we also have 5 star rating as well.

With regards to the menu, I see you have been here a few times before so you must know we only offer one sort of menu in one language - English. I do not see this as an issue but if you have any further concern on this, you are more than welcome to email GDK Head Office to highlight your requirement.

In addition I am not sure what you meant by harassment?, as the owner, I have tried to get in touch to discuss and take on board your concerns so I can improve the store.

Anyway. Thank you.