“Delightful”

Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Alton
Price range: US$1 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Ramblers Retreat is an award winning country tearoom nestled in the Dimmingsdale, part of the beautiful Churnet Valley in Staffordshire. Our menu is homemade using only the best ingredients, many of which are sourced from local suppliers in the Staffordshire Moorlands. And as well as a delicious meal you can also enjoy the beauty and tranquillity of Dimmingsdale, this spectacular valley by following one of the established woodland walks. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Have wanted to come here for a while after seeing so many positive posts on Facebook.
What an absolute gem, had a delightful lunch and shared one of the infamous homemade lemon meringue’s, all at a reasonable price.
Will definitely be returning and recommending to friends and family. Thank you

Ramblers480, Front Office Manager at Ramblers Retreat Country Tearoom, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor, as a family run business it really does mean the world to us when our guests enjoy their visit to Dimmingsdale & the Ramblers Retreat. We're really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Dimmingsdale & the Ramblers Retreat and can't wait to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

Stumbled upon this place on our walk from Denstone to Alton. A beautiful setting, great range of food and drink and good value too. A welcomed refreshments break before our walk back. Dog-friendly too, so open to everyone. Definitely will return again soon. Scones were lush.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

Four of us booked in for a birthday treat.What a great it was.After our last visit a few years ago,it was good to know that the welcome,the service,and the meal was just as superb as before.Traditional food was served at a very good price in this part of Staffordshire not known to all.Together with a pleasant afternoon,to enhance the meal,it was perfect.

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Today I visited The Ramblers Retreat with my wife and two year old daughter and sat in one of the outdoor summer houses.

The staff were excellent and helpful, the food selection was great and the food quality was fantastic!

Children’s menu had a good variety on it and portions were really good.

My daughter particularly enjoyed the strawberry milkshake and me and my wife enjoyed the Summerfruit Juice - it was really refreshing.

We at least come here once if not twice a month and will keep continuing to do, I wouldn’t be exaggerating to say we haven’t had a bad meal yet.

We never take full advantage of its stunning scenery though as my wife is pregnant and miss out on the gorgeous walks around Dimmingsdale but we are looking forward to getting back to walking around the gorgeous scenery of the rural Staffordshire Moorlands countryside soon.

Keep up the amazing work - I can’t say enough good things about this place :-D

Reviewed 19 August 2018

I absolutely love this gem of a place and cannot recommend it enough. We were on our way back from Alton Towers' Spa looking for a bite to eat and I can't believe how close it is to the resort, it's so quaint you'd never know!
On arrival, there were plenty of seats outside by the waterfall so we opted for a table there.
We weren't overly hungry so we all had a coffee and a cake. All their food is homemade, including the cakes, which I love.
I had the Triple Chocolate cake with ice cream, whilst my friends had a cream tea and a Nutella Cheesecake.
My friends had never visited here before, so it was great seeing their eyes light up at the site of their food.
I cannot recommend this place enough :) and I will be back in the near future.