All reviews new owners courtyard room nearby public car park visit exmoor dog owners steep stairs lovely hotel feel very welcome short break an evening meal central location lamb stayed here for one night night's sleep her husband comfortable bed night break
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Lorna Doone Hotel in a small double room. The room was spotlessly clean and well decorated. The bed was comfortable and there was ample storage and we had a good view from the window. The owners and staff were friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome. The breakfast was delicious. We would recommend this hotel and we look forward to returning.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Paul M, Owner at Lorna Doone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

We're really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Before going to my mother's for Easter we decided it would be nice to visit Exmoor for a night to show my girlfriend a different side to Somerset (I'm from eastern Somerset).

The hotel is situated in the centre of Porlock, meaning it is easy to find. We did find a space in their car park, but given how tight it was we decided to pay at one of the main ones.

On arrival, we had a bit of an issue - regarding the payment, I had already been charged 100% of our stay so I was not expecting the landlady to ask for payment. She was very adamant, and called over her husband (who did not acknowledge our existence) and she then returned with the invoice and basically demanded that we pay, but she didn't really explain the situation - it was my girlfriend who realised that the payment was a booking.com 'holding fee'. I understood and accepted, but the lady was not at all sympathetic and a little smug - not a smooth welcome. From this point onwards, we felt every time we saw the proprietors there was an air of animosity towards us, they did not really take an interest in us.. either that or just general uptightness.. and in the context of other guests, we over heard one family exclaim (in jest) that the check out time of 10.30 was a bit early.. the landlady gave a fairly snappy response, stipulating that a busy weekend was upon them and they have lots to do.. gives a kind of impression not only that they wanted to get guests 'in out in out', but that having a good rapport with guests was not high on their list of priorities. I am no hotelier, but everyone knows the priority should be making the current guests feel welcome, and not having a chip on one's shoulder because of the large workload.

We were delighted to enter room 11, it is indeed on the small side, but we were fine with that and it was ultra cosy, with splendid decor and a marvellous shower to boot. Not to mention the wonderful views from the window.

At breakfast, we enjoyed cereals followed by the full breakfast - this was fantastic, and did not take too long to arrive either. Grilled tomatoes, fried bread, bacon, sausage and egg all make for a great start to the day.

With regards to checking out, we were subject to substandard service again - after waiting at the desk for a couple moments, we realised the l landlady was not going to come over, so I went into the breakfast room to inform her that I was placing my key on the shelf, and to thank her for our stay. This was met with no zeal or fondness, just a brief reply stating where the key goes, and a goodbye. No "how was your stay?" No "have you got to travel far?" She was obviously midway through hoovering or something similar, and felt that was more important than seeing her off her guests in the correct manner.

All in all, we really did feel most unwelcome, which is a great shame, as otherwise this hotel may well have received five stars from us - a tastefully decorated, comfortable, and reasonably priced establishment, in an idyllic setting.

2  Thank Z7648ACmichaelg
Paul M, Owner at Lorna Doone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

I can only apologise if you found me adamant that you pay for your stay, if you recall I did inform you that your card will have been pre-approved for payment and I’m sure that you found the correct funds were debited from your account. The “invoice” you refer to was simply a print off from the OTA you booked through which confirmed you hadn’t been charged.

We didn’t really see very much of you as you were only here overnight and didn’t use our restaurant or bar and I think you would’ve felt very differently if you had.

I was very busy when you left and when you said you’d left your keys on reception I thanked you very much and said goodbye, again I apologise if you regarded this as me having a “chip on my shoulder”, or if something was misheard.

I am glad however that you enjoyed my taste in décor and appreciated the views and breakfast.

Mel

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Our first breakfast of a weekend away. We chose this place because there were few places open and it looked lovely from the outside. Once inside, we were impressed as the decor was charming. Lovely colours (grey and fuschia pink) and a gorgeous front room with piano and great reception rooms. Breakfast was served in a cosy rear room with cereals and toast buffet style in an adjoining room. Vegetarian cooked breakfast choice was excellent which is unusual. My partner had a full cooked (including a spinach and chickpea patty) and I had creamy scrambled eggs with vine tomatoes. Both dishes were delicious and included the buffet food and unlimited hot drinks. For just over £16 it was great value. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel if we returned to this area.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We're really glad you enjoyed your breakfast & would love to have you stay if you're ever back this way.

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

We ate here Saturday evening. Was an excellent meal. Well cooked and good quality ingredients. Service was friendly and the waitress attentive. Will definitely be returning on our next visit to Porlock

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Paul M, Owner at Lorna Doone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we're glad you enjoyed your meal and look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Parking on site available, friendly and helpful staff, recently renovated Ensuite bedroom, restaurant food excellent, breakfast choice great- historic building in charming location- welcoming staff, hotel easy to locate,

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Paul M, Owner at Lorna Doone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2018

Thanks for the lovely review. We're glad you enjoyed yourselves and we hope to see you again in the future.