Dolffanog Fawr
US$160
US$155
  • Restaurant
T'yn y Cornel Hotel(Talyllyn)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$126
Brackenhurst House(Fairbourne)
US$153
TripAdvisor
All reviewslarge tableperfect hostshot tubother guestsmountain bikinggreat bedroomlinen towelsguest housefantastic cookbank holiday weekenda stones throwgreat wine liston numerous occasionsbooked nightscooked foodlocal pubbeautiful location
Reviewed 19 September 2017

This was a great stay for us. The scenery is lovely and the place is run by a lovely couple. We stayed in room 1.

+ This is a 5 star rating and every single star is well and truly earned!

+ The bed is super comfy

+There were tea and coffee facilities in our room and some lovely biscuits which were replaced daily.

+There was a decent sized wardrobe which meant I could iron my shirts on the first day and hang them up.

+The bedroom and bathroom were both completely spotless!

+ Bedding was changed daily

+ The bathroom was plenty big enough.

+ Towels were changed daily (we wouldn't have minded re using but the owners went the extra mile!)

+ There were complimentary shower wash to use while you were there. If you wanted to take some away you were able to buy some.

+ There was a very useful guide in the room which outlined how everything worked - including the TV which had sky.

+Breakfast was amazing! We stayed for 3 nights and by the end we were just so full of food I had to politely decline a cooked breakfast. I did have one on the first day though and it was amazing! There was plenty of cereal and fruit to help yourself to.

+ Dining is on a communal table. It was nice that people actually spoke to each other (we work in London - this doesn't happen there). There were three other lovely couples who were happily chatting each meal time about where they'd been and what they'd been up to.

+ The owners offer to cook tea which I gather was £30 per person although we ate out to explore the area.

+ There is a living room for guests with a log fire and really comfy seats. I could quite happily of sat there with a vodka for hours!

This B&B is run by a couple who used to run ski lodges and their experience really did shine through. Nothing was too much to ask.

There is only one area I would improve which is by no means a criticism. I would have added beans to the breakfast but that is literally all I would change.

Thanks for a great time. We will be back.

Room Tip: Enjoy the breakfast
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Just on the way home from a weekend at this amazing house , I had booked to take my wife away for are wedding anniversary and what a find this was it truly is fantastic from the location to the views to the meals and the perfect accommodation .
Alex and Lorraine were perfect hosts and made are stay in there stunning home a delight from start to finish .
We will 100 % be returning for a longer stay then are weekend which we didn't want to end .
The only negative was they don't sell anniversary cards as my wife forgot to buy me one but I'm sure I won't bring it up in the future that's she's useless

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 11 September 2017

My wife and I spent four nights here last week. Although we have known the area very well for many years, this was the first time we had stayed at Dolffanog Fawr – a recently discovered lucky chance! The situation is beautiful, the garden looks down from one end of the Tal-y-Llyn (lake), the rooms and lounge are very comfortable, parking is straightforward and, most of all, Alex and Lorraine are very warm, friendly and charming hosts. Lorraine is also a very good cook (chef?) and Alex does a very good job as waiter! Two other couples, who were there at the same time as us, have been back on numerous occasions and the visitors’ book is pages full of praise. Lorraine prepares dinner from Wednesday to Saturday, but not Sunday to Tuesday, so if you want to eat in you’ll need to choose your days. All visitors (up to 8 people) dine in the evening at the same table (if you choose to eat in) and there is a set 3 course meal with Lorraine avoiding things people might not like. Alex says that the dining arrangements work well, because if people are not too keen on the idea, they don’t come! We found the company mixed and convivial! Wine is not cheap here. You can bring your own but Alex charges a “corking” fee of £10. If you want to eat out, there are two other restaurants about a mile and two miles away, which are reportedly quite good. A very good place to stay for anyone who wants to be in the Cader Idris area. We shall visit again – hopefully soon!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KENNETH S
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

This is the second time that my husband and I have visited Dolffanog Fawr and it won't be the last. I didn't want to post a review because this place is a hidden gem that I want to keep to myself! It is truly the epitome of relaxation.

Upon arrival, Lorraine greeted us and showed us to our room. We had fresh filter coffee in the lounge then were left to explore until dinner.

The memory of the gorgeous food was something that stayed with me from our first visit and it didn't disappoint on this trip. Lorraine created a perfect meal for us which we all enjoyed. Meals are served at a communal table but I find that the other guests are likeminded so conversation flowed and no one was awkward.

We took Alex's advice on doing the precipice walk which was amazing. Both Lorraine and Alex can give you some inspiration for sightseeing.

The rooms are well equipped and the Wifi is intermittent but we expected that as there isn't great signal in the surrounding area (we took it as an opportunity to disconnect from data!!).

We will definitely be back and would highly recommend this place! A family run business with perfect hospitality!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Alex and Lorraine were amazing hosts and couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and spacious. The breakfast was brilliant! The hot tub in the garden was also amazing, some lovely views! This was our first time staying in a B&B and we would definitely stay again!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple