“what a refreshing change”
Review of Umami

Umami
Ranked #24 of 48 Restaurants in Wantage
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 25 April 2017

Since popping in and having a great sandwich I have now been back twice, each time to a themed night and both have been excellent. The deli is semi-transformed for the evenings and the staff cannot do enough. They do not have an alcohol licence but encourage you to take your own in whatever form (no charge) and you can even put it in their fridge !!

First time was a 5 course Persian evening. Varied food, ingredients explained and there was more than enough for anyone. Second time was Lebanese and that turned out to be 7 courses. Menu on each table explained what was coming and what it was and the staff explained further and answered questions.

Everything is made by themselves (it’s a real family run occasion with mother, father, daughter, son-in-law), served quickly, hot, no fuss considering the number of diners (up to about 36 I think) which many restaurants serving a gathering might struggle with.

It’s not cheap - £40 a head – but it is very good value when you consider how many courses are served and how hearty the portions are. A number of diners had to ‘pace’ themselves at course 3 and just eat something of everything rather than polishing off the lot just to make sure that they could actually get to taste each course.

All in all it is very good and a very welcome change from the norm. I will definitely go back and try something else – assuming there are places available because I genuinely think that if they could cope with more diners they would get more diners.

Well done !!!!

There are newer reviews for Umami

Reviewed 22 March 2017

Came here with some friends as it was recommend. They had a lovely selection of sandwiches. We got there mid afternoon on a Saturday. We ordered 3 sandwiches, once ordered we sat down. a few moments later they came to tell me they had ran out of brown bread can we wait 15-20mins as the lady went to get some, or would you like it in a white roll. I said a white roll as im not waiting. 2 sandwiches came out together, then we had to wait 10-12mins before my friends grilled haloumi sandwich came out, we waited for her to eat as we didn't want her to be finished before she started.

I also ordered a peppermint tea, they bought over an english breakfast tea! in amug not even a pot. to be honest the server was not concentrating when i was ordering he was looking/distracted at what was going on at the deli. Overall the food was tasty, the deli was nice but the service & customer service was awful. I paid £8 for a sandwich and a tea, its highly priced for what you get I had 1 roll and a cup of tea (not even a pot)

Reviewed 20 March 2017

Popped in for a coffee and a sandwich as it didn't look too busy and I could get a table. Good choice of sandwiches and ALL made to order in the open kitchen. Slightly expensive BUT very, very good. I had a Club sandwich and it really was top notch - plenty of fillings and a good size. Everything else I saw served (sandwiches & salads) looked excellent.

Nice people, very friendly, efficient.

Now, and I didn't even know they did this, I must go back and try one of their themed nights and see what the cooked food is like. Judging by the advertising inside it should also be very good.

Reviewed 16 January 2017

Last night's Persian Evening was an absolute triumph. Fantastic food (five courses), a full restaurant and incredible value for money. The portions were generous to a fault and unlimited free soft drinks which proved an added bonus. Further events are planned - the next two being a Valentine's Tapas celebration and a Lebanese evening. Highly recommended!

2  Thank jpridgway57
Reviewed 29 December 2016

15 minutes wait for coffee and 35 minutes for food all ordered and paid for first. If this new management improvements then it's a worry.
The wild boar sausages were good, but hamburger was hard to eat as it was overlooked and dry.
No soap in the toilet which makes me wonder how staff wash hands properly and not up to hygiene standards.
A very disappointing lunch.

Ahmad H, Manager at Umami, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

Hello! Sorry to hear about your experience and long wait. My team and I aim to serve the coffee and food as quick as possible, however sometimes when we are busy it can be a longer que. In regards to the food, if you have any problems please speak to a member of staff and we'd be happy to rectify any issues. Additionally, sorry about the soap and the staff have separate sinks for hand washing. Hope to see you soon, and thank you for your feedback