“fantastic welcome with a hotel full of character.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Old Crown Coaching Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Faringdon
south elmsall
“fantastic welcome with a hotel full of character.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

After reading various reviews i was a bit unsure about booking,but i went ahead anyway.on arrival we had a really warm friendly welcome.The owners are new to the old crown and not to be confused with the old owners who ran the place down.the hotel is very clean newly decorated and has fantastic food.nothing is to much trouble for the staff,i would recommend staying at the old coaching inn to one and all.thanks for everything joe julie ann and frank.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank dhchamp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I booked the Crown Inn for Christmas day and what a HUGE disappointment! I cannot comment on the state of the rooms nor the quality of the food at the restaurant as my husband and my mother in law we never made it that far (we were turned down at reception!). We confirmed the booking a couple of days before our arrival, so we were looking forward to a lovely Christmas break with our family. Little did we know.....When we arrived at the Inn, we were told the hotel was closed and all bookings had been re-directed to other hotels. Unfortunately, noone new to which hotels our booking had been re-directed to!!!! We were speechless.......furthermore, noone bothered to call us to inform us of the changes and noone made any effort whatsoever to help us to find an alternative accomodation. I don't think the world "unprofessional" is adequate to describe the management of this hotel.......what a lovely way to celebrate Christmas..........

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sabina_Bertorelle

Travellers are raving about these Faringdon hotels

Taunton Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

This was pulled off late rooms as the room was on offer. It is situated in a pleasant market town, which is fairly small but nice enough for a wander. The staff were very freindly and helpful, and even brought us piping hot breakfast in bed which they don't normally do on Sunday morning. The hotel is very large and has various bars and function rooms, and it is a little on the scruffy side. However, the room with the four poster bed was superb, massive and very comfortable four poster bed in a large room. Bathroom only had a shower but was all clean and worked well once set to the right temperature. Towels were on the small side and the flat screen TV didn't have good reception.
But otherwise a pleasant stay. We didn't have an evening meal there, and ended up in the Market Restautant across the road which was excellent but expensive.

Room Tip: Four poster room is quiet as it is high up from the bars.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

We stayed for one night in the Court Room. AMAZING! so much space, great TV - great bathroom with a jacuzzi bath! The room was very large and had 2 double beds (or possibly queen). We were given soap and hair gel etc - which considering the style of the hotel was pleasantly surprised!

Even though it was the owners night off she checked us in and showed us to our room - she was lovely! So friendly! We didnt eat at the Inn or have anything to drink. Lovely town to walk around and had dinner across the road The Market Restaurant (which i will also be writing a review for because it was PERFECT!! The service was just lovely!)

The room was fairly hot when we got there and even though we turned what we thought was all the heating off it was still quite warm. We even asked for a late check out of an hour and they said they could accommodate this - but im sure it wasnt the easiest thing for us to ahve asked at late notice.

The breakfast was my only gripe. The cereal, toast, all good. Enough choice. The room was set when we got there and the lady was friendly enough. But it was all fried. Even the bread! My partner ate it all anyway without complaint but im sure the breakfast couldve been a little better.

Also tea and coffee making facilities in the room - amazing! we were given about 10 biscuits! And lots of milk and cream and teas and coffee! Much better than some leading hotels who ration you out 2 biscuits and 2 milks and not much more!

Other than that i thoroughly recommend this hotel to couples esp if booking the Court Room.

Room Tip: As we only saw the court room i can only comment on that and it was just perfect! Very large! And be...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holidaysometimer
Tenterden, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I booked this room for my fiances birthday. It looked lovley on the site. I requested a travel cot as we have a 10 month old baby. I rang 4 days before going to check if they had a travel cot as I didnt want to get up there and there be nowhere for our son to sleep. I spoke to a guy on thephone who thought they had a travel cot but wasnt sure! I asked him to ring back if they didnt and I woulld bring my own. I didnt hear anything, but decided to take one anyway as he hadnt sounded too sure! When we arrived we walked into the bar which looked really tired. After 15 minutes of waiting we were eventually shown to our room. On the way to the room we were told we had been up graded as they had already used the one travel cot they had (so glad we bought our own) the room we had been put in was lovely. It was huge with 2 double beds a sofa and 2 chairs. Nicely decorated too, but our 10 month old was expected to sleep in a bed! There is no way I could put him in a bed on his own as he is crawling and would have just fallen out of it. So thankfully our travel cot was in the car. There was no heating so it was freezing in the room that night and the next morning. The bath was lovely and our son loved "swimming" in it. We went down for breakfast in the morning and there were no staff around so we sat there and waited for a bit. While we were waiting I decided to put some toast in the toaster for my son. I opened the bread bin and the bread was green with mould! this put us right off! They eventually came in and took our order (after seeing all the staff and owners out in the court yard smoking!!) we had a full english breakfast. It was not plesant. My fiance found a hair in his breakfast! That was it we couldnt eat anymore. The high chair they bought in for my son was filthy the guy wiped some of it off then wiped it on his trousers. I ended up cleaning it off withs ome of my wipes in the end! We wont be staying again and its a real shame as the room was lovely. The staff made no effort to dress smartly or hide the fact that they were all smoking. What a let down for my fiances birthday! :(

Room Tip: the best room was the suite
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vicky m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faringdon
0.0 km away
8.4 km away
The New Inn
The New Inn
#1 of 10 in Lechlade

Been to Old Crown Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!