“A warm welcome”
Review of Langar Hall

Langar Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langar
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We visited Langar Hall on route to a longer break elsewhere after recommendations by friends and were not disappointed. Although we were slightly apprehensive having read some of the reviews and in particular the rather forthright replies of the owner, we need not had been concerned. The hotel is rather eccentrically decorated in places but this together with the notes in the bedrooms written by the owner about the hotel and individual rooms makes one feel that you are staying in a private country house rather than a hotel. This individual approach was echoed by the warmth of the welcome and the care shown by the staff
The bedrooms were very comfortable, with good quality linen and beds, well decorated, in an individual style and well appointed. Not only were the bedrooms comfortable but also incredibly quiet. This coupled with a comfortable bed and curtains that excluded every shaft of light meant I had the best night’s sleep for some time.
If there was one disappointment then it was to be found in the food. The cream tea on our first afternoon was good and the breakfast also (it would have been excellent had the orange juice been fresh) but the dinner on the one night we ate there was rather mixed. Your views on the quality of a meal can often be influenced by individual choices and simple bad luck. Although the quality of produce and presentation were excellent, the preparation left something to be desired. The starter of foie gras was the smallest by some way that I have ever had. The main course was one of those which on reading the menu you think that the chef must be a genius or trying too hard. Unfortunately it was the latter and I could almost hear the judges on Master Chef commenting on too many flavours on the plate. On the other hand my wife thought her meal was excellent and the cheese plate which I finished off with was everything the first two courses had not been – generous and well balanced.
Having said all of that the real question is would we stay there again? Having moved on the next day and stayed at a city centre hotel of a large chain I very quickly wished that we could have stayed longer at Langar. The answer is a very definite yes, we would stay there again and will be recommending it to friends.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H
ImogenLangar, Owner at Langar Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you so much for spending your valuable time in this review. Langar hall greatly appreciates your comment and has passed your feedback to the staff. we shall look forward seeing you again very soon. Imogen..

Reviewed 10 March 2012

The moment you approach the faded ochre coloured house as you drive up the avenue lined with mature lime trees, you can almost sense that something special awaits within. The welcome from the reception staff was warm, friendly and efficient, and set the right tone for the rest of my stay.

The room itself (The Nursery) was small, but perfectly formed, and as the house in perched atop a small hill, it had the most delightful rural views across the grounds. The room had a stellar information folder which presented a short history of the house, things to see and do nearby, as well as the owner’s own description of the room from the days when the house was a private home; all very charming personal touches. The amenities were excellent, a large bottle of complimentary water, free wi-fi, made in England toiletries, an extremely comfortable bed with very high quality linens, and even the windows had roll-down blackout blinds underneath the floral curtains. Everything about the room was thoughtful and well considered.

The public rooms of the property are all very comfortable, and each has its own identity in terms of style. The light drawing room is wonderfully airy, with lots of sofas and comfortable chairs upholstered in contemporary striped fabrics, and it is topped off by a mid-20th century Murano glass birdcage “chandelier” which adds to the quirky charm of the house. It was the perfect spot for an afternoon tea. I didn’t want to ruin my appetite for dinner so instead of ordering a full afternoon tea, I simply requested some tea and scones. Instead of the usual scones as I had expected I was presented with small sized scones that had been cut in half, with each spread lightly with raspberry jam, and then topped with a quenelle of clotted cream Chantilly and a single fresh raspberry. It was utterly delicious of course and showed unexpected finesse; I was very impressed and my anticipation for dinner heightened.

My table for dinner was in the conservatory, which was entirely lit by candlelight, it was very charming. There were lots of other guests, as well as a party of people enjoying an event in the private dining room; having lots of people in the house gave it a warm atmosphere, almost feeling like a house party which is a very convivial atmosphere to be in. Unlike so many other places, it had atmosphere in abundance. Dinner service was excellent, with very attentive staff who all gave the impression – and I am sure that this is very much the case – that they genuinely wanted their guests to have a wonderful experience and would try their utmost to fulfill that.

The food itself was divine. Homemade breads were brought around, and replenished liberally. Some stand-out dishes were the cauliflower velouté topped with a spattering of cumin roasted cauliflower, and on the side an oozing comté croque monsieur. The fillet of beef was extremely flavoursome and cooked to perfection, the accompanying wild mushroom lasagnette was wonderfully rich and complemented the beef perfectly. The highlight for me was the rhubarb soufflé; it was stunningly good. Each airy mouthful of soufflé tasted intensely of rhubarb, and it had risen perfectly, it was simply fabulous. The accompanying kilner jar containing a layer of cooked rhubarb in a light jelly, topped with a layer of creamy custard, then topped with a small ball of ginger beer sorbet was inspired and showed a huge amount of skill and thought. The attention to detail was superb – a fine dusting of freeze dried raspberry powder for tartness, and tiny flecks of bonfire toffee for crunch and burnt caramel taste. I have dined at many Michelin starred establishments, and this pudding is one of the best I have ever eaten. [I note another reviewer has commented on its being expensive; clearly they have no idea what they are talking about – it is a true bargain. I would be tempted to drive all the way from London and back home again just to enjoy that pudding!]

I chose to take tea and petit fours in the study, which is a wonderfully dark room with lots of books, objets and an open fireplace. Tea was served with homemade chocolate truffles and bite-sized apple and cinnamon macaroons which were every bit as good as those one buys from the likes of Laduree or Pierre Herme. Clearly there is a very talented team in the kitchen.

Breakfast the following morning was served in a room off of the hall. There was a small buffet selection of yoghurts from a local dairy (nice use of local produce), a few cereals, and a bowl of rather medicinal looking prunes. The staff poured juices, and offered a selection of coffees and teas at the table. Hot items were cooked to order and served piping hot and very fresh. Said hot dishes were largely variations on an English breakfast, with dishes such as smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, and kedgeree available to order at a supplement. Thoughtfully one can also take a continental breakfast in one’s room. If I am totally honest, after the high of dinner the night before, I found the breakfast ever so slightly disappointing, not in terms of quality (save for the orange juice which could so easily be fresh - it really does make all the difference) or service, but in terms of variety. Perhaps some cheeses and/or cold cuts and some fresh cut fruit would liven it up a bit. In suggesting this I am of course mindful that it is a small hotel, and most guests are probably more than happy with the excellent “full English” that is served. I am selfishly tempted to further suggest something sweet from the superb pastry chef would be a most welcome addition too!

All in all this is a treasure of an hotel, and it really does feel more like attending a country house party than simply an hotel. The rooms are very comfortable, the service is warm and willing, and this is all topped off by a kitchen that sends out perfectly conceived and executed dishes showcasing great skill, and imagination – what more could anyone wish for!? I enjoyed my stay so much, that I have already booked another; I am only sorry I have not discovered Langar Hall sooner!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IntlTraveller21stc
ImogenLangar, Manager at Langar Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you so much for such a magnificent review. we highly appreciate your reply and the feedback has been passed to the staff. we shall look forward seeing you again very soon. thank you once again.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Had a great dinner here, and Langar hall itself is beautiful. I would highly reccomend Langar Hall.

• Stayed: March 2012
ImogenLangar, Owner at Langar Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Thank you for you wonderful comment. It was nice meeting the couple. It was your first time. We are glad you enjoyed it and had a very nice time. We shall see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We have visited Langar previously and always find the staff very welcoming, extremely friendly and efficient. Langar Hall is situated in a lovely area and the grounds are very impressive.

We enjoyed a drink in the sitting room before our meal. We were then shown to the conservatory - we had never sat in there before. Perhaps it lacked a little atmosphere as there were only 2 couples eating in there the whole time we were there.

The starters and desserts were beautiful - the rhubarb souffle was a little pricy but we appreciated the amount of work that had been put into it. The main courses, however, we felt were a little disappointing. The meat inside the meat pie was unappetising, and the veg with the sea bass too. Also certain things we felt were a little tired e.g. place mats and napkins. Also items of furniture in the sitting room too.

We enjoyed a relaxing coffee in the sitting room looking at the lovely view from the window.

We feel we enjoyed our previous visits much more than this one regrettably.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bluetwo47
ImogenLangar, Owner at Langar Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Thank you for your review. It is helpful and I am sorry that you had a rather disappointing experience. Those ghastly old place mats are due for replacements and new loose covers are on their way for the sofas so we can get the old ones to the cleaners! The rest of the sitting room is all Paul Smith and early 20th century paintings so can't be changed. I have a problem with the steak and ale pie too, not my favorite dish but is very popular. The chefs have taken note of your comment and will check its consistency. I am sorry I was not around that day as I would have checked on the vegetables and offered an alternative dish of proper greens. I am old fashioned and like my greens and potatoes which leads to a menu of mixed styles: traditional and what I call fancy/modern which needs my expanation. I hope we shall see you again and we can have a talk. Best wishes and many thanks Imogen

Reviewed 2 March 2012

I was a little concerned when I saw that the hotel was a 3* as I am a bit of a hotel snob (particularly around cleanliness) however I must say, this hotel far surpassed my expectations.
Overnight stay was excellent value. Food wasn't cheap however you do get what you pay for - Cauliflower soup was to die for! Would definitely return. Everywhere was spotless!

Room Tip: Lilac Room was lovely, not massive but perfectly formed.