See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Gosh, what can I say? I will run out of wonderful adjectives. I could perhaps sum up with ...beautiful house, beautiful food and run by beautiful people.
The family that run Shieldhall are delightfully warm, friendly and helpful and the thought and care put into making our stay of three nights so comfortable and welcoming was amazing. The room /en suite was exceptionally well equipped and the food was out of this world...with plenty of home made touches.
I have just one regret...we live over six hours away and therefore will not probably be frequent visitors. Perhaps it's just as well...I might be tempted to move in permanently!!

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynette G
Reviewed 27 May 2014

...property, setting, accommodation, breakfast and, something else which seems more and more to be a rare experience - fabulous, friendly, welcoming hosts.

We were attending a family wedding and had originally booked 1 night's accommodation which I changed to 2. I'm so glad we did. Totally relaxing, and we were able to chill for the whole morning of the wedding without the 'rule' of vacating your room for housekeeping.

Go and stay! We'll certainly be going back, and have already recommended it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

This has to be the most tranquil and peaceful place to stay. Beautiful accommodation with amazing hospitality - Sarah & John are very welcoming and friendly looking after their guests every need. All you can want is available in the rooms, variety of tea & coffee, cafeteria and homemade cookies which are lovely & topped up daily. Rooms are extremely cosy & comfortable great beds & bathrooms provided to lounge in. The library is available to use with wifi and breakfast is lovely with crusty homemade bread, homemade marmalade and full English breakfast cooked to perfection - I stayed 4 nights & toured Northumberland easily from here, holy island, Alnwick, bamburgh and all the coast along with the national park - it's so easy to find only 20 miles from airport without going into Newcastle city Centre which is perfect when you don't know your way around but it is easy from the A1 as well - highly recommend to anyone looking to stay in an old farmhouse style accommodation

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We travelled with friends who enjoy the good things of life and we were not disappointed.
Lovely accommodation, great welcome and most enjoyable meals. A good touring base for the Borders (but garages well spaced out in the country), and much to see, some places needing at least a whole day. Will return again..

Room Tip: Choose the wood you prefer! !
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Shieldhall was everything I hoped it would be. We were greeted by Stephen and shown around the property, which is stunning, and met the lovely Sarah and John who settled us into our beautiful rooms. We had the Oak Room and the Elm Room - both individual, beautifully furnished, and large lovely warm bathrooms. There is so much attention to detail with sumptuous fluffy bedding, reading material, Portmeirion china, original artwork and fresh flowers, just perfect.

Delicius breakfast and dinner were served in the main house dinning room, which was a pleasure, and we had the use of the library which is beautifully decorated, and a very calm space.

All in all, a magnificant B&B in a beautiful location with lots to do in the area. I thorough recommend Shieldhall to singles, couples and families alike.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family