Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
All reviews the pub kipper pate booked a table homemade chips for sunday lunch lovely food warm welcome ate here dogs are allowed well worth a visit northumberland coast lamb comfortable room stayed for two nights short break first class craster
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We used to eat here as kids 20 years ago and the place as famous for a big beer garden and good food.

This time we stayed for 3 nights with 5 rooms booked by family.

Rooms warm and comfortable - not cleanest but to be fair not bad. One of our party had to change rooms as it was dirty. £90 odd per night is very expensive considering location and standard - and the amount of good competion around.

First impressions are very bad - the access road - sorry dirt track - is very dark with massive water filled pot holes which caused my car to ground. This is also the quickest route to Craster so not idea and pretty creepy going through the 200m of unlit woods.

Bar is good and traditional but not full of locals.

Resturant is one of the many add-on buildings which for the village inn. This is were it all goes really wrong - as its out of the way you kind of end up wanting to eat in. The menu is on a board in the bar so you all have to crowd around and try and remember by time the waitress comes around. Menu is short so thats a good thing.

Starters are very small portion and good. We had extreme bad mussels and complained - they had burnt shells were they had been fried in oil - a pint of it - which that sat in the bottom of the bowl. The chief said he didnt know were the oil came from as there was none in the recipy. He half insinueted that we put it in there. No apploge was made. The waitress girls became embarased and wouldnt come back so we werent offered pudding or coffee. At the payment we were overcharged and had to go through the bill which made the entire meal a complete fiasco. We got £2 of the mussels.

Fundamentally its all down to a weak chief who is temping.

With so many good places to stay in Craster, Bamburgh (both closer to the beach) and Alnwick with excellent resturants, the Cottages Inns few plus points can easily be forgotten.

What is most sad is that the feedback is getting to them (see all the other comments) and is consitent but they dont seem to take it on board and sort things out.

Date of stay: November 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank jonwatsonuk
RebeccaFleur, Owner at The Cottage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2009

I think the real issue with this group was that after eating 2.5 kilos of mussels between them one as a starter and then 2 full dishes as mains, after a waitress had been to check if everything was okay during their meal they then, after everything was gone decided to complain about the mussels wanting them taking off the bill - I would have been quite hapy to change or refund these if the complaint had been made after the starter portion was eaten before the mains went out or even if they had said they were wrong when the waitress had checked if everything was okay during the main meal but to wait until they were completely finished and all the mussels gone and all that was left was some melted butter in the bottom of one dish, then to say they were not happy I feel is too late. The reviewer writes that the mussel shells were burnt? Im not sure that you can even burn a shell?
I would completley agree that the waitress had become upset by this group, it is very intimidating when you are just trying to do your job and you are unable to help or ressolve the issues with a table.
The issues relating to the bill came about as they all wanted to pay for each meal seperately after it had all been put on one bill and I offered as a good will gesture to take £2 foe each main course mussels ad £1 from the starter mussels, so yes it was a bit confusing
Im not sure why you think the chef is not permanent?
I am always willing to take on board constructive criticism - this I feel is better addressed on a one to one basis rather than for all to see in what I would deem as detrimental to what I and my team work so long and hard to achieve.

Reviewed 8 November 2009

I cant actually claim to have stayed here, as we booked a Saturday night here, but it looked so dreadful we decided not to stay. The car park is approached up a muddy and pot holed road, and you then enter at a undistinguished rear door. We checked in, having made a reservation the night before, at the bar area, which looked a bit scruffy. The girl that checked us in showed us to the room down a corridor, and her parting comments were 'you may struggle to get a table in the bar tonight as we have a party of around 100 people in '60's fancy dress coming in' (they had not mentioned this when we booked by phone the night before!). We took one look around the room and our first thoughts were that this was not an £80 room - it had tatty looking cheap flat pack furniture, the headboard was not attached to the bed, and it only had a tiny 12" portable TV (website says flatscreen TV's in every room?). It smelt slightly damp as well. After a minute or two we decided that this was not going to be the relaxing weekend away we had anticipated, so we handed the keys back and left. Fortunately, they had not asked for any payment at any time.

Date of stay: November 2009
1  Thank NorthYorksBeerlover

Thank you for your comments of which we have noted, the drive as you correctly point out is muddy and does have some pot holes which I have to say have been made worse by a considerable amount of heavy rain in recent weeks - this problem is being addressed as best we can however short of having the road done with tarmac (most recent quote £40,000) it is a problem that we are stuck with, and that is far worse in winter.
I think there may have been some confusion when you came to stay - you make comments about having 100 people coming to a fancy dress party we do have posters advertising our annual Boxing Day (26th Dec) fancy dress party with 60's theme however that was not the night you were supposed to stay, the reason for you being unable to book a table in the restaurant was due to a local WI dinner taking place, however there was plenty of room in the bar and conservatory. I think there may have been some talk at crossed purposes between yourselfs and the member of staff concerned.
With regard to comments about the furniture all our rooms and furniture have been assesed by Visit Britain and we have a three star Guest Accommodation certificate, all rooms have been assessed as Very Good by them for the last three years running.
The headboard is not attached to the bed it is fixed firmly to the wall to prevent it sliping or banging Im not sure what was meant by this comment?
I would apologise about the flat Screen in room 4 as it had broke and we needed something to replace it, all we had was a portable TV however if we had been given a chance to hear these comments prior to this we may have been able to resolve the issues and replace the TV with one from another room.

Reviewed 11 October 2009

I visit the area a lot and have stayed here once and eaten many times over the last several years, most recently lunch last week. I like it a lot; it's in a wonderful location and the staff (who seem to be different each time) have always been fine. The rooms are a bit basic but comfortable. Service can be slow in the evening if it gets busy, but one doesn't go to North Northumberland to be in a hurry... at lunch, service has always been pretty prompt. I have always had really good pub food, sometimes (like the scallops on special last week) excellent. The Wylam ale was exceptional, best I have ever had in rural Northumberland (which is not a real ale paradise in general but I do try to seek it out).

Date of stay: October 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2009

My partner and I visit the Cottage Inn on a regular basis for a Sunday Roast and we are yet to be disappointed!! The staff are always warm and vey welcoming, sometimes they are a little understaffed but the standard of service is consistant.
My only critisism and suggestion is to provide printed menus for the restaurant so people do not have to get up and look at the board.

Date of stay: September 2009
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We did not stay in the hotel but came forS unday lunch. We had come acrossthe restaurant by chance a few months before and were suitably impressed to return ,How i wish we hadnt when we asked fot a table for two we were told just sit where you want by a waitress who didnt even stop or make eye contact .Iithink she was in charge .we waited for a waitress and menu none available. We went to the service hatch for service and were told to go to the bar for drinks whichwe did only to betold to go to the hatch for wine. The roast beef had beencooked for so long i thought it was stewing steak .Iwent to use the ladies toilets they were swimming inwhat i hope was water and filthy. I pointed this out to the afformentioned waitress who sorted this out, the cutlery on our table was dirty. We did get an apology and four pounds knocked off our bill but we would rather have had a decent meal Its hard to understand how standards can drop in ashort space of timeeven with the excuses that were made .The previous visit was just as busy BUT the service and food was by far superior

Date of stay: September 2009