“I should have followed my instincts”
Review of Dalchini Alnwick - CLOSED

Dalchini Alnwick
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 28 February 2015

Turning up at 8.30pm on a Friday evening and finding the place deserted I should have realised this is not a sign of a thriving restaurant! The takeaway we had has given us stomach problems, as well as the dahl having burnt onion in it. NEVER again, my husband has told me that if he EVER suggests a takeaway Indian meal again not to listen to him! I agree.

7  Thank windysider

Reviewed 28 January 2015 via mobile

I ordered a chicken tikka Sri Lanka for takeout on a Sunday evening. I wasn't disappointed, it had a good kick to it, full of flavour and massive chunks of chicken. Will certainly be returning. Reasonable price too.

2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 16 January 2015

Popped in for a quick curry and pleased we did. The food was delicious and extremely tasty. Good portion sizes at a reasonable cost. There is a new owner, who obviously has plans for the place. He was very pleasant and provided a good service. Good Luck to you - we will return.

5  Thank andreacrane
Reviewed 29 November 2014 via mobile

Ordered food at 17:10 was told it would take 1 hour possibly 1 1/4 hour which was great as we had a hungry 7 year old! Contacted the shop at 19:00 to find out when food would arrive as it was well past the expected arrival time! We were told that the delivery driver had left 10 minutes beforehand, rang again 15 minutes later to see if driver was lost, was getting rather annoyed by this time which was made worse by being hung up on! Delivery driver rang to say he had put postcode in his sat nav and it didn't exist on his device (our house is one of the older houses in our village) we gave him the address and directions. Rang shop again at 19:30 to say that we no longer wanted the order as it had taken so long already! We were offered the order at half price. I rang the driver one last time and had to again direct him to the house as he was knocking on someone else's door! Food arrived eventually at 19:50, reluctantly paid the agreed price, got a different story of the driver, who appeared quite genuine! Food wasn't very warm, popadoms were stone cold, dishes tasted ok but nothing special! I definitely won't be ordering from Dalchini ever again, what an absolute joke!!

4  Thank Louise S
Reviewed 22 November 2014

Delivery was half an hour late. Food was all lukewarm. The worst bit was that we had ordered and paid for a set meal, which I checked on placing the order and instead of getting 10 items we got 7 items, of those the only 2 that were the same ones as ordered were the onion bhaji and onion salad. All the main dishes, rice and side dishes were completely different to those ordered and there were no poppadoms.
When I rang to ask if we had received someone elses order I was told that my order was an old menu and as he didn't know what dishes we wanted he gave us a 5 course special with dishes he chose!!!!! they take a contact phone number!!! We checked the new menu included in the order bag.... there is no 5 course special and the 4 and 8 course specials are at least £7 less than we had paid. They offered a new delivery - in another hour!!! I suggested a full refund was the only acceptable answer, when the money arrived - it was minus 2 delivery charges of £9
The delivery driver was very helpful and waited while we contacted Dalchinis / Dial a Curry again!!! I am still not convinced that the person who took the initial order understood the problem and just kept asking which menu I had ordered from and saying he had given us the special (what special, certainly not the one I ordered, I sent a scan of our menu back with the delivery driver) - surely the order taker should have a copy of each menu, take orders more accurately and advise customers if a menu / dish is no longer in force - BEFORE they ring to complain.
As I did get a refund, but only after a number of aggravated discussions and the food has been good previously, they will get 1 more chance. It had better be spot on!
Anyone using Dalchini / Dial a curry be sure they repeat your whole order back on the phone and confirm the price / delivery time.

3  Thank Fiona N