Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
Free cancellation until 20/05/21
Free cancellation until 20/05/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Trip.com
US$148
SAVE US$63
Free cancellation until 21/05/21
Hotels.comUS$153
Expedia.comUS$153
FindHotelUS$153
1,357 results
All reviews sister ship dining room olympic restaurant ss olympic no lift afternoon tea old coaching inn the main street lovely hotel evening meal high street alnwick gardens first class bed and breakfast well worth a visit double room short break
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 October 2020

We stayed at the White Swan over fifteen years ago and my wife and I had very fond memories of our short break there. We finally got around to staying to help support the North East economy, and much of what we enjoyed the first time around we still enjoyed this time. The staff are very good and keen to help, whether in the restaurant or reception. Our check in was swift and smooth. The COVID measures are in evidence everywhere with signage, sanitiser, screens and model social distancing in the wonderful Olympic Restaurant with the superb wood panelling from the ship. Dinner and breakfast times were taken to reinforce the safety of guests when dining. The price was in an overnight deal and was an excellent price and included parking (located at the rear of the hotel), dinner, breakfast, and a double room. Due to COVID restrictions, there were limits to what was available on the menu in the Olympic Restaurant. We had a set menu dinner that was generous in its portions and very well cooked and presented with traditional British fayre. The lamb was excellent. Service was good and friendly. Breakfast in the morning was also a set menu with cereal, toast, a variety of cooked options, but sadly not the excellent kippers I enjoyed the last time I stayed. The one slight complaint that I would make of the restaurant is that most of their competition shows the provenance of the food as locally sourced and usually a sign of its quality. This was not apparent on the menus we saw and although the food was good, I think with more locally sourced produce it would have been even better.
Our room was small with a comfortable double bed, wardrobe, iron, ironing board, radiator, spare blanket, a view of the main street, tea and coffee making facilities, and a small but nice bathroom with shower/bath, good sized sink and very nice, fluffy towels. It was very clean as well. When we came to leave check out was smooth and efficient and there was no issue with us leaving the car for longer while we walked around Alnwick.
There were a few downsides to the stay. The Wi-Fi is terrible, and I would recommend more routers are put in. The speed is slow but the signal in the room we were in was dreadful, we were constantly losing the signal even when doing small online tasks like looking up a website or checking emails. Despite attempting to reset the channels, the TV would only show half the Freeview channels it should do, so if your favourite show is on any ITV or Channel 4 related station, you had better record it at home before you leave or potentially face disappointment. There is an issue with what the hotel offers and what the website offers, which we often find in the UK with hotel chains. The website deal when we booked also offered afternoon tea, but when we checked in, we were told this was not included. We were happy enough with the offer we did get so did not pursue it, but other people may be very upset at thinking they were getting this included in the price but then told it was not. The website also said that the toiletries were from a luxury brand, but when we got to the room they were not. Again, for people looking for the special touch that may be a disappointment. Overall though, we really enjoyed our short break and would happily recommend the White Swan as a base to explore Alnwick and the surrounding sights of Northumberland.

1  Thank TokyoJimmy
Reviewed 20 October 2020

My partner had booked this hotel for us because we planned on a trip around Northumberland. We arrived Sunday 13th September for 2 nights after spending 2 nights in Whitby.
First impresion of room was very dated, dark and cramped, the double bed was actually 2 singles pushed together but we where only there for 2 nights so could put up with it. There was absolutely no comparison with the Bed and Breakfast where we stayed in Whitby and The Swan was actually more expensive !!!
We had been in the room literally 10mins I had not even opened my bag, when disaster struck.
I went to use the bathroom ,there was a sign on the door saying watch the step and going into the bathroom there was a little step, coming out I tripped over it fell and hurt my knee.
I thought it would be OK so hobbled down to reception to go out however as soon as I walked outside I realised there was no way I could walk, so we came back in.
I sat in reception with my knee the size of a balloon !!! The pain was excruciating, My partner went to ask for some ice and the staff were fabulous they brought a huge bag of ice and a pilow case. One of the staff actually thought I had dislocated my knee. The thing was though the staff knew about this room and said they had pointed it out to the owners that something needed doing.
I sat there for a while then hobbled back to our room, I was in so much pain and I didn't want anyone to see me crying. We couldn't have been in a room farther away from reception. Once in the room I lay on the bed I didn't even get undressed all I kept thinking it might be OK in morning. I didn't sleep at all and I realised then it was serious and I needed to go to hospital.
At 7am My partner went to check out, however I knew I would not make that long walk to reception and car park. Luckily the fire escape was just a few metres from our room so the domestic staff let us go out through that which took us directly to the carpark .
Once in the car( I sat in the back with my leg elevated )we set offf for home because I wanted to go to hospital near to where we live. Arrived at A&E had knee X Rayed luckily nothing broken however over 5 weeks later swelling still not going down so now on Morphine and waiting to have knee drained. I am absolutely gutted because I was in training for the 3 peaks and had gone to Northumberland to do a lot of walking.
The staff that we encountered at the Hotel were aĺl brilliant and if I was reviewing them it would be a completely different review.
On return to home I contacted the hotel owners to explain what had happened and said if I had done a Risk assessment on Room 116 I would actually condemn it.There should either be a ramp going down into the bathroom ,or a clear noticeable marking on the floor to make you aware.
5 weeks later I have had no reply and all is I wanted was to ensure that nobody else encounters a fall and that more needs to be done in Room 116.I am not exaggerating when I say its easy to trip My partner actually tripped Monday morning coming out of the bathroom.
Cannot comment on the food because we left before we had breakfast so we paid £130 to stay in a room for less than 24hours cause disability to myself and ruin my plans .

Room tip: Some of the rooms are long walk with lots of stairs, no lift so not suitable for people with walking difficulties
Date of stay: September 2020
Reviewed 16 October 2020

I could not fault this hotel. It is situated right in the middle of town within easy walking distance of shops, bars and restaurants, Alnwick castle (home of Hogwarts), Alnwick Gardens and much more. The breakfast room is worth a visit on its own just for the setting. Rooms were spotless and comfortable. Due to Covid-19, there were no soaps etc. in the bathroom, but these were available on request. The staff were really friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a place to stay in Alnwick, look it up - not the cheapest, but worth every penny! Will be returning.

Special thanks to Amanda and Alison who between them retrieved my much beloved i-pad from lost property and sent it back to me when I could not return from Kent for a family birthday due to North East lock-down.

Date of stay: August 2020
1  Thank Downsview
Reviewed 12 October 2020

Lovely hotel with even lovelier staff. Excellent breakfast - well worth a stay. Due to Covid no cleaning done in the 4 nights I stayed but there was a list of what they'd paid particular attention to re cleaning

Reviewed 3 October 2020

Excellent location. Very clean and tidy. The staff were outstanding, extremely helpful and friendly. The breakfast was amazing, set in the Titanic sister ship, the Olympic, themed dining room. Definitely worth a visit!

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank joannecL3636ZL