“good intentions but meal dissappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Bar, International, Pub
Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Reservations, Seating
tamworth
“good intentions but meal dissappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

We ate in the bar of the Black Lion having been recommended it by our bed breakfast place. I saw no evidence of a BIstro upstairs, but neither was I looking. Has it closed? We arriveds about 8.30pm on a Friday and it wasn't busy. By 9.00pm the whole place was deserted except for us. The food was not inspiring, but I felt that maybe other dishes on the menu would have been better and certainly there was a feeling that the place was trying hard. I had pork in a sauce with fresh veg, which was lovely, but served on a huge pile of heavy lumpy stilton mash which overwhelmed the good bits. The barbecue sauce on the chicken that my son had was just a thick gloop. There was no feeling that it would be nice to stay for coffee or pudding despite the pleasant staff. Not sure if this is still a pub or just restaurant. Having the tv on made it pub-like I suppose. The sauvignon blanc by the glass was nice and I almost feel a curiosity to eat there again should I be passing as I am sure it can do better.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great food, pleasant ambience - a reliable spot for a good meal in Richmond”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We went to the Bistro with a very large group (18) so our table entirely filled the upstairs dining room. The chef came by and the waitress did an excellent job of fielding orders from such a big group. The food came out hot and well prepared and each person got just what they ordered! Great job.

• Visited December 2011
cumbria
“Absolutely hit the spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

I happened upon this place by accident. I have to admit that I HATE motorway service areas and travel off road to find places to eat. On Saturday night I pitched up in Richmond looking for something to eat. I was looking for a basic pub meal with no real frills and that is what I got. I left having eat sufficient and that is all you can really ask in that sort of circumstance. If I had a criticism I would say that the food was slightly more expensive than I might have expected for the type of food it was. It would be nit picking but I add it for balance.

• Visited September 2011
Richmond
“This is an excellent experience with superb food in great surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

The bistro is now only open Thursdays to Saturdays and some Sunday lunchtimes.
This is apparently because they were trying to offer too many dining options at once.
The bistro concenrates on high quality food and service is excellent. The prices now range between £8.50 and £14.95 per course and the menu is the same both upstairs and in the bar downstairs. The specials, which are on offer Thursdays to Sundays throughout the hotel, are innovative and change from week to week. The lamb wellington is probably one of the best meals I have eaten in a long time. The fish pie is excellent and the new wine list provides great variety. One visit is not enough!

Clitheroe
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We have been told that the bistro has...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2010

We have been told that the bistro has recently been taken over, which probably accounts for the previous bad reviews, but our experience backs up the more recent good reviews.

Don't let the pub downstairs put you off - the atmosphere upstairs is totally different. It is smart casual
dining with a small but varied menu. There is a mix of classic and more adventorous dishes and we certainly had plenty of choice. We both chose from the Specials menu and followed the main course with one of the excellent sweets.

Our waitress (Samantha) was excellent: attentive but not obtrusive.

The total meal (wine, main, sweet and coffee for two) came to a little under £50. Considering the quality of the ingrediants we would have happily paid more (an additional £20 would not have been
out the question)

If there is a problem, it is that they may become a victim of their own success. The Bistro was very busy with both locals and tourists, and there were some signs of not quite being able to cope. But this was a Bank Holiday, so this might be exceptional.

The atmosphere was a bit spoiled by unruley children. On the whole an enjoyable evening.